Archive through November 13, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Mike - it'll take a lot of amps to run one , you could burn out the charging system - I'd get it anyway and shelve it if nothing else
happy.gif
There'll be a time you'll need it for something I'm sure.

I have been working on a slipping clutch on a 128 for a friend. I replaced the teaser spring and the metal cup and put it back together. The throw out bearing seemed to be OK. The clutch still slips. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm BACK!
Just an update on my 1250 Hydrostat and H42 snowthrower. I pursued a marriage between the two pieces and so far the union is a happy one. I redesigned the thrower mount, replaced the 6" pulley on the thrower with a 4" one - no small task, but heat and a 10 ton press won out - even saved the original pulley. I mounted the thrower this a.m. and put a 30" belt on it, then crossed my fingers and hit the PTO switch. That auger really spins fast! I just hope my 12hp Kohler will be strong enough for Northern Michigan snow! I'll post pictures when I get the chute crank arm mounted - my last fabrication project.

David G.
Are you sure you put it back together like this pic?
23081.jpg

And did ya cross hatch the pressure plates. check to make sure that the main spring was good and the right length and did you use a new clutch disk or use the old one?

Question for the masses,
What do ya think for useing something like this on a hydro on one or both ends?
23083.jpg

Seems like it would solve the no go scenario if the rubber did cut loose, or am I way out in left field?

(Message edited by cproctor on November 13, 2004)

Charlie, I thought of using the same type of coupling but couldn't come up with a way to mount it on the engine without some machining which I'm not setup to do. Other than that it should be great.
John

Oh, and of course the price, about $50.00 per shaft end.

John

Hey y'all, I have really made progress today! I got the 1250 torn down, that pesky brake is free and the steering wheel is removed. I asked the wife to take a picture of me in this mess and she said that I was being vain. I explained it ain't vanity, it's just hard to be humble when you own a Cub! I got the paint today and should have her back together soon! Can't wait and will post pix of the progress. Later, Paul
23088.jpg

Can someone tell me if the heavy damper spring should be a tight fit (lengthwise) or loose in the hydro trunnion shaft slot?
Thank's
John

Whoa Charlie, did you read that one right? The big spring is loose in the trunion bracket. The little spring is always tight and holds the pins and the big spring doesn't come into play until you have made an abrupt change or at the length of the throw.

If the big spring is tight you will get a jerky shift.

Charlie - those lovejoy couplers wouldn't allow enough flex in a tractor. about all they are good for is coupling electric motors to pumps and gearboxes. Plus the rubber inserts tend to shuck out a lot.

Digger-Thanks for the post on the slipping clutch. I am sure I have it back together right, but I did not cross hatch the clutch and used the old plate. How do you check the spring?

Charlie: This may get "POOFED" for being off topic, but my 2284 has a coupling set up at each end very similar to those couplings. The parts book is in my office, but if you can give me a fax number I will fax you the pages with the picture and part numbers

Michael J.
Thanks for the offer and your right on that type coupling except for one thing, which wouldn't be all bad I guess. It's got 8 steel balls instead of rubber. Ans since they were made starting in 1995, I guess the jury is still out on if they will last 30 years like our good ole work horses made by IH. ;-p
23094.jpg

23095.jpg

You are right Jim and you pay attention in your history class...........It's " pompe à essence " instead of pompe d'essence.Have a good day to all of you.

Good Morning Fellas,
I've been approached by someone with a IH "Windbreaker" for sale. I know that it would be for a narrow frame (it came off of a 100). But would it fit an Original? and Do we have pictures? I am assuming this is not a cab. Maybe it is.....

Thanks for any info you can pass along

Charlie,
Those newer MTD couplers would be tough to retrofit because they are splined to the hydro pump. You could change the hydro input shaft.
But, I have seen a few tractors that the splines
have gotten torn out of. I think Richard C's setup is the best/cheapest solution that I have seen so far. My 782 has over 1300 hrs on the original rag joints and Richard's fix is an improvment over them.

Latest posts

Back