• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 11, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Kraig,

Congratulations on getting Killer fired up for the first time. Great pictures too. You've done a beautiful job. I'm anxious to hear the sound file.

I haven't been around much as I bought a new toy and have been giving it lots of attention. It's off topic so I can't discuss, but I will give you a peek at the power source.
96866.jpg

My son and I worked on the 108 today. Managed to get a few things done. We got the front axle removed, also got the engine pulled out. Still do not have the front basket pulley removed or the steering wheel. Continue to soak with micro-mist. A few pics..............
96872.jpg

96873.jpg

Do you think he'll make a cub mechanic?
This project to be continued.................

Tim-
I've had luck getting the broken off "stub" of the grease zirks out by punching them through (into) whatever they're mounted in.

When it's a front spindle, you can easily remove the spindle, then punch the broken zirk "into" the axle cavity, but removing the axle center pivot can be described as "tough" at it's best, so that may not be a good option.

Do you have a welder? If so, maybe you could weld a small nut onto what's left of it and pull it off with that?

Mr. Kirk-
That'd better be an SC!
drool.gif

Kraig,
It looks like you have something stuffed between the fuel tank and the straps. Bubblewrap?

David...very very nice !!!!!!

Defenantly have to pay homage to all our Vets today
worthy.gif

My father in law was a tanker through Korea and my Father was a tin can sailor through Vietnam
96876.jpg

Reggie., shame on you making your son lift that 10hp engine out by himself
roflol.gif
. Cub mechanic or not, I think he has caught the yellow fever! Good stuff!

I guess shame on me, My father,two brothers served. I also have an uncle that was part of the "survey crew" after the Hiroshima bomb. He died at age 44 of Lukemia. All gave some and some gave all. Thanks to all!

hi,
new to the forum and trying to help my son get his original running. can anyone tell me how to remove the drive belt the proper way. thanks in advance. i know i need to buy a service manual.
thanks,
john

Hey Kraig, thanks, and I guess you liked that radioactive sign. It was an extra one laying around work...I thought I fit well. I keep thinking I'm in a competition with you on the Original's but your way ahead. I start my nighshifts tomorrow so I have all day to put the engine back together and maybe install it so I hopefully can do a little catching up. Have a good one, and to all else who have served Semper Fidelis. Nick

Don, I have that problem also with having to refresh a couple of times to see all the pictures. ??????????????
beerchug.gif

For those who may be wondering what a "Tin Can" looked like. This is a a Fletcher class DD. Built in WW2, retired in the 1969 - sold to Turkey, scrapped in 1981.

96879.jpg

Kraig,
I had to download and convert to an mpeg4 to view. Pretty cool! Fun with they finally fire off and run. (it'll be on my wife's iPod now... he he he)

David,
happy.gif

Reggie, nice progress! Looks like you have a good helper there.
thumbsup.gif
For the steering wheel removal be sure to give the technique in the FAQ a try, it's FAQ entry 13. I fought the steering wheel on my #1 125 for a couple weeks spraying it daily with PB Blaster and I couldn't get it off. Then I borrowed the proper "tool" aka 5/8" fine thread bolt from my good friend Art and that along with a good size hammer popped the steering right off. FWIW, before I borrowed the "tool" from Art I looked locally at several home centers but couldn't locate the 5/8" fine thread bolt. I did however eventually find my own "tool" at an Ace hardware store, I should have gone there first....

Tim, that is high temp fiberglass wood stove door gasket material. Similar to THIS STUFF I heat with wood and had some kicking around, it's very similar to what <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> used. If you can find some 3/4" wide, cotton oil lamp wick material that might be even closer to the real deal.

I'll have to convert the video file to something more compatible. My PCs are all setup to play DivX encoded avi files. Unfortunately I have a funeral to attend tomorrow and will not be able to get the file converted until Thursday, the conversion tools are on the work PC.

Kraig,
thats good info on the wick. I downloaded the divx player and ran it and had no problems with the video, the player is a free download..

David-
That's not <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> red, that's Guardsman Red.
wink.gif

Reggie-
I forgot to mention, that boy looks happy. Nice job!
happy.gif

Nick and Don

I belive I read a recent post on here, or possibly a older one, by Charlie, where he mentioned de fragin your computer if your havin trouble seeing the pictures

Latest posts

Back