• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 09, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CURT - Until You actually get the engine apart it may be hard to tell for sure, The K-181 had a 2-3/4" stroke & 2-15/16" bore and the K-161 had a 2-1/2" stroke but all outward appearances where the same, and the bore could be either 2-7/8 or 2-15/16's depending on spec number, time of day, phase of the moon, etc. etc. Far as weights for tough pulling conditions more is better.... and fluid such as used antifreeze or windshield washer solvent is O-K but don't use calcium chloride, it'll corrode the wheels, but cast iron is more flexible in how much and where You can put it. I have fluid in My Farmall Super H because it had it since it was brand new, and Dad bought it when it was about 13 yrs old.... it's now almost 51 now.... but none of My CC's have fluid, but I have one to three sets of weights on them. Cost & convenience are the two things to consider. Weights are very expensive but two bolts removes them, fluid is relatively cheap but You can never get it all out again, and if anything happens to the tire Your in a real mess!

JIM E. - 806-D had two batteries, one on each side.... Gas only had one on the left I believe.... And BTW.... the W450 at the bottom of that forum is I think.... The RPM COVER Tractor in the Nov./Dec RPM magazine....

Jim-
Denny's right, 806 diesels have two 6V batteries in series, one on each side, gassers have one 12V (on one side).

Speaking of weights, can I still buy 10 pound suitcase weights with the IH logo in them? I Know I can still get the 42#'s. I think 10's look more scale.

Oh yea, at PD8 I came home with a 72 myself... maybe this K-321 on the shelf may end up in it, I got enough ideas floating around to do about 4 cub projects. hehe

Wyatt- is that S-W temp gauge electric, or a tube-job? Got a part number for it?

Jim E. -

Ya won't see a POST button cuz ya gotta start a thread to post something...

I know, I know, it'll take folks a bit to get used to all this. Change is good, really
wink.gif

Wyatt,still on the hunt for small oil coolers for that hydro? Check a few boneyards,the JD 400 and others used a very nice one that would be Cub-Friendly with little work. PS,it uses the flywheel not the plastic fan as it's air source.

(Message edited by jdiedrichs on November 09, 2004)

Jim-
Yes & no, I did find one that would have been perfect, a factory trans oil cooler off a '90 F150 would have fit perfect, plus it had bulkhead nuts so it would have fit in a mounting bracket nicely. It was a plate type cooler, not the tube & fin that JD cheaped out on. I'm speaking in a past-tense because I broke one of the plates trying to get the last bulkhead nut off. I guess I'm only out $10 for finding something that will likely work.

At least right now I'll be able to do my "control" numbers, hydro temps about 40°F ambient, partial hydro fan, Type F fluid, versus a cooler with a MTD-type hydro fan. Should see a marked improvement, now I'll find out just how much.

I already one time Denny hit my trans cover with his Raytek gun and I think he measured 175°F, and you know the fluid's gotta be WAAAY over that in the motor/pump circuit.

I'm the proud owner of a 1968 Cub 125 with a 42" deck. I purchased this last year from a co-worker and it runs great.

Well, I've attempted to upload pics, but the software says my pictures are too big. Here's some links to click for pictures. I will put FS for the full size pic and "TN" for thumbnail ( smaller ) photos.

Here's my 1968 Cub 125 w/42" deck

TN http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/th_cub_125_ls.jpg

FS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/cub_125_ls.jpg

My Trac vac
TN http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/th_cub_trac_vac.jpg

FS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/cub_trac_vac.jpg

My 42" dirt/snow blade and QA-42 snow thrower
TN http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/th_cub_plow.jpg

FS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/cub_plow.jpg

Yes, my cub does sit on a carpeted shed floor.
Jeff

Wyatt,
What do you mean by an MTD type hydro fan?
I wanted to put an 82 series fan on my 149 but couldn't get it to fit. The 82 series fans don't break near as easily and I had a spare. I couldn't get it to clear the rockshaft when the lift was all the way up.

Wyatt C. Maybe this will help you. According to BL-9646 on page 8. As a continous operating temperature a hydrostatic transmission should not exceed 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, to really narrow down just where your heat is being generated at its greatest area a gentleman from work suggested two sensing units. One in the input line to the charge pump and the other leading away from the unit. As he stated this should help you narrow down just where the heat is truly being generated. I know that you posted that you have taken all the extra weight that you used to have on your Cub Cadet off and it still is putting off excessive heat. Upon asking about that scenario I was told that even though the extra weight has now been removed it may be too late and may have caused damage to the hydro system while it was on. As explained to me: Anytime that you make a hydrostatic or even gear drive system operate at peak efficiency for prolonged periods of time or continously that system will wear at a much faster rate than normal usage. Just trying to help is all.

Todd-
At the toy show, while Steve was telling us how he was planning on forgetting about the 1811 and just casually slipping a $20 out the window as he drove by Keith's place, I noticed the 1811 had a BIG, FLEXIBLE, hydro fan. Dunno why this didn't become the standard retrofit, maybe the bigger fan won't fit with the stock oil lines.

Marlin-
I'm sure I didn't help things in the past 3-4 years of owning my 169, but I'm sure that if the engine was replaced already it saw some hard use between when I owned it and June of '74. Nevermind the hydro lives behind an engine with the reputation for being a torque and vibration monster. Point well taken that wear increases exponentially with increased heat and load, there's a chart in one of the Sauer manuals for design life. Let's just say that if I were in Tedd's shoes and naming my machines, the 169 would be Borrowed Time.

Wyatt,

Thank you.
happy.gif

With the Hydro being aluminum, wouldn't a case temprature give you a good idea of what the internal temp is? Or maybe using the two sensor method one on the case and one on the fluid output. To figure the temprature drop.

Wyatt, what is bad about the tube and fin type coolers??

Wyatt:
I'm not sure, but I think it may be a combination of the lift lines and the hydraulic lift linkage. The older Cubs had a smaller diameter, longer stroke cylinder and the newer ones have a larger bore, shorter stroke cylinder. I think that the combination of the two enable the use of the SGT fan.

When I built the 129+, I had to use a cut down version of the SGT fan to make it fit and the elbow linkage on the 129 hyd lift was the deterent to a larger fan OD, as I recall.

Keith

TORIN - MWSC has their LOGO or name on the little suitcase weights. They make 5# weights too but they're the same size, only half as thick. I put some NOS IHC decals on the two I mount on the outside of My stack on the 982.... Took a little pursuading to fit twelve into My weight bracket but I gottem ALL in there! When My Buddy picked them up couple years ago they had a pile about 5 ft tall by five feet square of solid weights on a skid... of BOTH sizes.... TED - Difference between tube & fin and plate-type heat exchangers is the surface area of the actual fluid carrying tubes, Company I used to deal with out east made flexible copper connecting lines that had twisted concave depressions on the OD of the tube for flexibility, but they also created MUCH more surface area for the flow capacity of the tubes and were used in coaxial tube type heat exchangers they made..... Couple samples just happened to follow Me home from work one night.....but they aren't NEAR big enough to do Wyatt any good...

Torin, here's a photo of Denny's weights with the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> decal.
22855.jpg

......actually it's a photo of Denny's 982 that happens to have a weight bracket on it filled with MWSC weights with an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> decal on the outer weight......oh yeah, there's an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> decal on the weight bracket too.....

I like the "work" light on the underside of the foot rest too.

Kaig,
Is the "International" decal above the M/N stock??

Tedd, I think it's a "stock" decal but it wasn't "stock" to the 982.

Latest posts

Back