• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1863 Hydrostatic Transmission Problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Deere

Hello. My 1863 has had a transmission oil leak. It’s been sitting in my garage since the end of the mowing season last summer. I started it up and moved it in my garage to put the plow on it the other day. Last night I started it again and it would not move. I checked the transmission oil and there was barely a drop on the end of the dipstick. I put oil in it and tried it again...No luck. Do I have to somehow bleed the system, or did my stupidity burn up the hydrostatic unit? If that’s the case, where do I begin looking for the problem? I don’t have any experience working on these hydro transmissions, so I’m kind of shooting in the dark here. Any advice, other than “next time don’t run it out of oil, you idiot” would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Check your hydro release valves. If they are stuck in the release position then the pump will not build pressure.

Also I recommend getting a new filter for the transmission. Perhaps when you moved it a bunch of gunk from the case got sucked up into the filter and clogged it.

Also, when you move the hydro lever to attempt to make it move, does it at least make a whining noise like it's trying to move? And if you pull the release on the tunnel cover can you still push it manually? If yes to those then there isn't anything wrong with your hydro. It isn't very easy to burn them up anyways, usually they fail due to high heat or high speed towing. And even then it's still pretty uncommon.

Any advice, other than “next time don’t run it out of oil, you idiot” would be greatly appreciated!

There was prolly fluid in it as the dipstick does not go to the bottom of the tranny.

A few questions, does you hydraulic lift work when it is running?
Has the filter ever been changed?

Sometimes the brakes will get stuck so check there. Then check to see if the little button on the bottom of the pump is sticking out when you disengage the release valve handle.

I find most of the Hydro-Gear pumps tend to leak at the junction block on top of the pump and there will be a lot of greasy gunk on top of it.
It will leak quite a bit when you are driving, but when not, it will stop.

Thank you for the replies. Sorry it’s taken me this long to reply back. A couple days later after I refilled the transmission, it worked fine...Phew! I do need to change the filter, though. I’m wondering if the system needs to be bled after changing filters? I’ll be looking to get a service manual for it and study up. Thanks again, belatedly.

Back