• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow-up: A month or so ago I posted regarding my hydro transmission on my 1450 causing my engine to bog down and nearly stall. The two suggestions were 1) Change the fluid and filter to Hytran Ultra. Which I did but it did not fix the problem. 2) Do a trunion repair. Regarding the trunion, It is notched and needs to be repaired. I know this will fix the speed variation but I do not think it will fix what is causing the transmission to seemingly bind and bog down the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the hydro overheating? It does seem to take time for it to get warm before the problem starts to occur. Thanks!

Chad

Chad M.
One sure way to find out if it's engine or hydro is to remove the drive shaft and fire it up.
My 1450 did that once and I also had a 149 do it.
Both times I changed the coil and it fixed it. I got LUCKY!

Yeah, Carb has been rebuilt and is set to factory adjustments. Then engine does not give me any indications of any issues. It pulls just like it should when the transmission is not bogging down. I have no reason to suspect the engine. Governor and everything are functioning properly as far as I can tell.

It also has a brand new coil and condenser on it. I have practically eliminated the engine as the culprit.

Could the check valves have anything to do with this problem? Just a reminder that this tractor did sit for 10 years before I got it running again.

Thanks
Chad

Just a quick question, do they make a Hydraulic pump repair kit, my 127 after using it lightly for smmer cutting the hydro sounds like bb's are rolling around in it when i shut it off.

Actually just looked at parts lookup, and nvm the repair kit is way to high, looks like i will be looking for a used hydro pump.

Eric T. Since you're going to look for a good used hydro then take your old one apart and see just what those "BBs" are... then take lots of pictures and post them.
215935.gif

I got the new brake pads for my 122, they did not fit tight so I had to glue them in and then got the trans back together without any problems
bouncy.gif

Looks like the CCO is finally going to get the lights that I have had laying around. I hate daylight savings time.

Chad, My 782 does the same kind of bogging every now and again. Usually when I attempt to take off quickly. It doesn't do it all the time, and its random at best. The sudden load confuses the engine for a moment.

The cause is the govenor along with carb settings on a well worn engine. I obtained this tractor becuase the PO couldn't get the governor set right and after literally crashing it into the nieghbors Suburban, it was passed on. (after 20 minutes in my garage, it was purring like a kitten. sorry PO, but thanks for the nice tractor.)

It's the govenor pulling it down... and reguardless of the carb being at "factory settings" maybe they should be adjusted to compensate for the years of use. I bet if you bypassed the govenor for a while it would never do it. (becareful not to over rev it of course.)

Nic:
thumbsup_old.gif
That governor setting is so easily overlooked - and I don't mean just which holes the spring attaches to, I mean the loosen the arm on the shaft and make sure the shaft is turned all the way counterclockwise trick.
coffee.gif
#22 cubfaq.com BTW
bubbly.gif

And to add to what NIC & FRANK said, the carb settings are just starting guidelines. After adjusting both needles as the chart in the FAQ's shows, you have to start the engine, warm it up to operating temp and then LOAD the engine to check response. It's kinda hard on the PTO clutch, but they're TOUGH, so I usually throw the PTO in gear with the mower deck on with the engine wide open and adjust the full load needle until it picks up the load quickly with minimum RPM drop, plus no surging, minimal black smoke from being too rich, then I idle the engine down and fine tune the idle at no load, smooth response, no missing, quick acceleration to wide open. It's not unusual to adjust a quarter or half turn away from the recommendations.

Thanks for the reply guys...I have the rear end out now trying to fix that but am going to reassemble and fix the trunnion while it is together. I am a designer/engineer by trade so I should be able to figure something out! My first job when I was 15 was at a shop fixing up cubs and wheelhorses, been a long time since I got to play around with one and now I have 2 to play with
happy.gif

OK,Don, that's enough showing off for today!! Great looking Cubs, though, for what little work you've done to them.
draw.gif

FWIW, I just got back from Presque Isle. Took 17 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars to the coin shop and walked out with a check for $144.50. Life is good!
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back