• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug,

I'm using the scraper to follow the big tractor. I got it mounted yesterday for the first time and I was happy with its performance. If I were grading a lot with my cubs I think I would break the ground up with the tiller then finish with the scraper.

I am planning on covering some ground with wood chips. I think it will do a great job of moving mulch.

Since I was off work last Friday I took the clutch out of my 128. I have a few questions. When I bought this tractor I was told the original engine was damaged beyond repair and this engine came from a 124. I noticed while looking up the parts diagram of the clutch for the 128 that my assembly was missing #20 (spacer spring). Thinking maybe the clutch assembly came from the 124 as well. I looked at the clutch parts diagram for the 124.

The components are pretty much the same other than the drive shaft, and clutch release lever and the rod/spring components connecting to the clutch release lever.

The drive shaft is pretty worn in the area the slotted pressure plate rides on the drive shaft. The sides of the pressure plates that come in contact with the friction disk are beveled. Is this correct or are they supposed to be flat?

The drive plate assembly seems ok, but should probably replace the bronze bushing and the three coiled pins since they have wear on the sides from the friction disk. After laying a straight edge over the back side of the plate over the three pins I see the plate is a little tweaked around one of the pins. I'm sure this can be straightened and have years of good reliable service. I did not have any friction disk springs on the drive plate. I read in the manual the QL series has one spring on a longer pin and was not clear on the 128/108 series. All three pins are the same size. Am I suppose to install one or three?

The coupling connecting the drive shaft to the transmission seems to be ok, but one side where the drive shaft is pinned to it is quite large and the shaft and coupling seem to act like a wobble socket. Is this manufactured this way to allow movement for the tractor frame twisting?

The teaser spring dimensions per the manual are the right height, but will replace it anyway. The clutch loading spring measured shorter than the manual says is acceptable, so that will be needed to be replaced. The throw out bearing seems gritty and should be replaced as well.

The spring pin on the transmission end gave me the most trouble. I found the pin was actually sheared. After some time I was able to get the pin out. A little disappointed to find the transmission shaft was wallowed out and will need to replace the shaft/gear.
bash.gif

Does anyone know the difference between the 124 and 128 drive shafts? I’d assume since the 128 has the spacer spring, and the 124 does not; the pin hole holding the clutch loading spring must be drilled further back away from the engine?
Looking through the service manual and the parts look up, I did not see a separate drive shaft for the addition of a creeper drive. After seeing my drive shaft, if a creeper is installed it looks like there is a pre-drilled hole and all you need to do is cut the shaft 1/4” from the center of the hole to couple the creeper? Also, is there a separate manual for installing the creeper and cutting the drive shaft?

This is my first gear drive, and I want to make sure everything is correct before I put it back in.

291915.gif

291916.jpg

291917.jpg

291918.jpg

291919.jpg

Jim on the hole being worn on the input shaft
I had the same thing on my 128 when I got it.
I took the shaft out and had the hole welded shut
then re drilled it. Cost less than half a new shaft. Been going good so far. It's my main snow plow tractor.

IIRC number 4 and number 20 are backwards in that parts look up. The teaser is suppose to be next to the floating pressure plate. The teaser spring goes inside the cup of the spacer and is what touches the pressure plate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure glad that I got my Cub changed over for winter duty today. I also got the charging issue fixed. It was a bad regulator. I also noticed a couple of wires on the headlights had broken over the summer so I got those repaired as well. Then this evening I learned about this:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

A POTENT STORM SYSTEM WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO MUCH OF
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA AND WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN. A
LARGE SWATH OF CENTRAL MINNESOTA...FROM THE MORRIS AND GRANITE
FALLS AREAS IN WESTERN MINNESOTA...THROUGH THE TWIN CITIES
METRO...TO MUCH OF WESTERN WISCONSIN CAN EXPECT 8 TO 12 INCHES OR
MORE OF SNOW FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT OR
TUESDAY MORNING. MOST IT WILL FALL FROM EARLY MONDAY MORNING
THROUGH MONDAY EVENING...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

WINTER STORM WARNING

Thanks for the replies, hope they keep coming! I did read long time ago about welding the hole(s) shut. My machinist frowns upon parts that are welded and customers ask them to machine them. They chip and break a lot of expensive bits, inserts, and get inconsistencies while cutting the parts, so they claim. If I go that route I'll have to find a new machinist. My drive shaft measures 19-1/4" long.

Jim S.
It's actually 19.19" if ya really want to get technical, LOL

Kraig,
Welcome to my world!
It's been snowing since about 6:00 and we've already got 2 more inches than they said, Grrrrr

Might have to break out the big guns Monday as well. Just gotta get the chains installed, and at 146 pounds each, it's not gonna be a fun project.

Cub chains sure are a lot easier and lighter to deal with.
It's that time of year!
Kinda wish I had the ole 149 back, sigh!
291921.jpg

\

We got the last mowing done for the year yesterday. I know it will be the last because I pulled the decks off the 149 and 169. We washed the tractors and decks. My hope is this winter to get every thing fixed,maintained and ready by spring.

Bob E. did you get chance to try out your Brinley back blade? some pics would be great if you did.

Charlie, looks like your way done with mowing and moved on the other uses for your cubs.

Doug I got the scraper on the 1000 but I have some things to work out:

your_image.gif

So the PO moved the chain that connects the lever to the scraper to a location that looked to me would be used for raising the scraper. I found a guy on another forum that has the same scraper. After he sent some pictures I know to to set up my scraper so I can use it.

I need to make a couple of straps to go between the pin and Brinly hitch. I am going to try to make them this week. I have a friend who has a machine shop that I can use to get it done. I'll ask my wife to take some pictures when I am using it in the yard.

Bob

Latest posts

Back