• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would say that tire chains are a must If you have a set from a pickup they can be cut doun to fit. worn out sets for a truck will go a long time on a cub. Even a FWD cub gets stuck in the snow, I'm sure Kraig has the photo! Everything gets stuck in snow.

I'm going to side with Steve B & Charlie on this one about the ag tires & chains verses Turf tires & chains. Just ag's alone are almost worthless. With even a dusting of snow My Super H (7000# not 700#) won't hardly run UP My driveway, With chains I can push a blade full of snow 80" wide and 2 to 3 ft tall thru foot deep snow. If I had a slick rear tire I could push even more. Lots of documented tests about tractive force increases from tire chains, studded tires, verses snow & conventional rubber tires, CHAINS are the only way to move in snow.

JOHN - re: repowering a CC with a later model engine. Techumseh engines are cheap, for a good reason, I used to work with a purchasing person who formerly worked for Techumseh. B&S IF You get the cight series of engines are O-K, some perform well and last a respectable amount of time. Rebuilding Your Kohler would still be cheaper and easier. "IF" I ever have to repower My 982 (2-cyl ONAN) I would definitely look into puting a V-twin HONDA engine in it. Although if You look back a few months there were some posts in the Hot-Rodding & Pulling forum about GENERAC engines that since I'm only 50-60 miles from their home plant I may have to investigate.
Even if You hire all the disassembly, machining & reassembly done a 12 HP Kohler rebuild should be in the $500-$600 price range with all new OEM parts required. With good reputable aftermarket parts like STENS the price would drop to $400-$500 and durability with proper care & maintenance would be comparable.

96642.jpg

I've always thought that turfs with chains were more effective than ags with chains because of more surface area contacting the chains. I have come up with my own answer to all of this though....(go south for the duration)
96645.gif

Turfs and chains, the ONLY way to go in the snow. <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

KRAIG - I bet Dan could have driven right out of that snow with chains on the front or rear.
rofl.gif

I remember @ PD #1 His 4X4 100 plowed with the best of them! For some reason I was around His trailer as He was loading up to leave in the afternoon. He fired up the crawler to run it on the trailer and somebody hollared at Him something about "Plowing with the crawler" Dan offered to hook drawbar-to-drawbar with whoever it was on the MUCH higher HP tractor. The heckeler didn't accept Dan's offer.
war.gif

I decided to check the thrower again before the snow really starts to fly.
I put new needle bearings, chain & sprocket in the thrower and was all proud that everything went so well and it only took me about 40 minutes to do.
UNTIL, I stood back to admire my handy work.
1a_scratchhead.gif

96647.jpg

Charlie, does that trouble light cord go through the U-joint?
icon_eek.gif

Denny, that was "Big John" Buszkiewicz. I was standing there with the Video camera on, recording Dan as he loaded his Cubs and recorded that exchange as well.
happy.gif

Hey, a little tape, a couple of wire nuts, you'll never know the difference....
And I've already shown you that the cord winder portion is on the front of the thrower....

Back