• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 04, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale and Tom,
I've done both set ups. Tom up at Ed's, I had duals on the land side, worked pretty well considering, I had no weight on that side. That was wheat stubble and the ground was sitting for 3 months. In Steve's ground, you need a lot of weight on both furrow and on the land side. Thick, sticky black dirt.
Duals are cool. It just depends on the person. For discing with the 3pt disc, it's a must. You need the floatation or you'll sit and spin on soft dirt.
I would like to try the dual on the landside with more weight to see if it works better plowing next time.
Only my opinion from my past experiences.

Welcome back Richard.
wave.gif
I thought that was Charlie in the cab.

David P. The 70 series are in the Hydro Gear series if'n I recall. I don't have my 70 series books handy. They are found more in today's tractors. The 15U is made in Ames, Iowa. Hydro Gear is in Sullivan, Ilinois. Hydro Gear is part of the Sauer Danfoss family. You may try ordering those manuals from one of the Sauer Danfoss distributors listed on their site.

Myron B. I was at a friend's place this morning. I remember awhile ago that you said that Hydro Gear said on their site they were formed around seven or so years ago. My friend has two old Wheelhorse rearends with Hydro Gear hydro transmission pumps on them These date to the sixties. I ever get time then I'll check into this.

CC dealer is closed today, can anyone tell me what a new part # 703-0194 costs? (It's an 82 series hydro linkage part, if that matters.) Thanks!

I discovered, quite by accident, that my ole KT17 was starting hard because the battery wasnt making 12+ volts. With a jumper batt. it would like right up but would not with the tractor battery. Soooo, bought a new one last night (date night with SWMBO - dinner and Wal-Mart for a tractor battery...no wonder the woman loves me).

Anyway, I was noodling this a bit and thought maybe that is what a rectifier does - bump low voltage up to enough to launch the coil or something. Dont laugh - it's hard to go through life ignorant of such things - but is this what rectifiers do? Could it be that the rectifier is bad? And, or course, how do you test one of those? For that matter, where IS the dang thing?

LOL....Hey Craig, remember that several page document you have that had a procedure to test the coil.....
thumbsup.gif

Hopefully Roland will post his enhanced 782 wiring diagram for you..if he does, print that off, and grab your manual and Volt/Ohm meter and fix that tractor
thumbsup_old.gif

BTW, my wife 'loves' the combo trips/dates also
lol.gif

We had a nice day finally in NW PA. I was just preparing my 1200QL and snow thrower for more of the white stuff. I had to flip my scraper on the QA-42A to the only good side left. Is this scraper available any more? I'd rather be mowing grass.

OK Charlie, what's wrong with that picture? There's been some imaginative responses so far.

THanks Bruce and Roland... good to have some electrical guys on the forum.

I there anyone in Central Texas on this forum who messes with cubs?

Charlie,
That Cub Cadet parts lookup website address you gave out is really neat and quite helpful. Thank you very much for doing that. I had never seen it.

Gary L, I'm from just a little North of Waco, the DFW area. I've got a 122 that I've been useing regularly since I bought it in 1970. I don't move a lot of snow with it but I do move a lot of dirt around.

Craig E:

Here is the definition of a Rectifier: "A rectifier allows current to flow in only one direction, acting as a one-way valve." It is basically used to convert AC Voltage to DC Voltage, often seen in automotive alternators.

The only thing that I know know of that will boost voltage, is a stepup transformer.

The most likely culprit for your condition, is something to do with your battery cables and/or their connections. IN MY OPINION...Cub Cadet used light or undersized battery cables. I think you will find, that if you change the cables and upsize the gauge, that your 782 will start much better. Each end of the battery cables must be clean and have good contact. In addition, I would suggest adding a extra ground (or negative [Black])cable from the frame to the motor block.
Once you have good cables and connections, your KT-17 will spin right over. This of course is assuming, there is no issues with your starter.

If you supply me with a Chassis Serial Number, I can either post or send you a nice color enhanced wiring diagram and/or schematic.

thumbsup.gif

Craig E,
A rectifier is a device for converting alternating current into (kind of) direct current. The alternator produces alternating current, but your CC uses direct current, so it needs to be converted by the rectifier. A rectifier is made up of (usually three) diodes, which are devices which allow current to flow in only one direction. That's all it does, there isn't any "boosting." If any of the diodes go bad, that's the end of proper operation. It creates a pulsed current, but the pulse is quick enough to fool CC and automotive direct current devices.

Latest posts

Back