• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 03, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Darn archivery

Frank..
I see a nice set up front,Seems like those 122's always come with a creeper when I find them.I am sure you will get get it running and driving in no time,

Don T...
you have a potty mouth in your last post,or is that potty fingers from typing them...

Here is my latest,I got a update on my tetanus shot.

264379.jpg

264380.jpg

Quick question - I'm changing the Hytran fluid in my 1650 and moving the 3 point hitch over to it from the 1250 parts tractor too. Rear cover plate bolts - do they get a lock washer? The 1650's rear plate doesn't have them, the 1250's does. Also not sure the bolts on the rear are the correct length - they seem a little short to me. I know you don't want to bottom out the bolts on the tranny casing, but how many threads (or how long of a 3/8-16 bolt) do you use?

Under edit - found the bolt length, didn't find if a lock washer was needed.

Bill,
The three that hold the lower bracket on should have 3/8" 1 1/4" bolts in it with no washers.

OK - got the hydro fluid changed and new filter in place. Old fluid looked very good, interior of the tranny looked very clean. Did not get the 3 point hitch moved over, need some longer bolts and more time...
old.gif

Harry is right about him having hydro or nothing! Tried to GIVE him a complete original, He wouldn't even come and get it! In his defense it was in poor shape however it was also a rope start.

JERRY - I guess Harry's loss is your gain. While the original CC's are far from my favorite tractor, Dad bought one back in '63 that we ran for 2-3 yrs until I broke the second timing belt on the 2-blade 38" deck and Dad traded the O for the 70.... An Original with pull-start would be rather rare.

The little K161/181's pull start pretty easy, I pull start the K181 on my lawn vac and as long as it had gas and I hook the battery ignition up properly it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. Only time it's ever failed me was when I hooked the wire for the coil up to the Hegative post on the 72's battery. The ignition grounds thru the mounting of the vac unit to the tractor, so NO power at all to the ignition. I bet I pulled on that rope for an HOUR!

KT17 vs KT17S Probably a worn out question . I couldn't find it is the SEARCH.
I know the series II has a oil pumping system but is ther e a difference between a KT17 and a KT17S or were they all called KT17S?
One more question? Dipstick: does the very end (handle side) of the dipstick have a pressure relief valve? My dipstick has a plastic 'cap' that actually moves in and out a bit as teh engine runs. Also making it a bit oily in that area.

I mowed with my HYDRO 1250 on Saturday, and I mowed with my HYDRO 1650 after the 1250 PTO Quit working. I think it was the first time I've ever mowed in November. The 1250 performed perfectly until the mower deck quit turning, seems the electric PTO quit working, I did not look into the problem yet, I just used the 1650 to finish.

So what typically goes wrong with the PTO on a quiet-line series?

I have to say the 1250 with the 44" deck was a mowing machine right up to the moment it quit working.

Vincent when I had my QL the pto switch/wiring was the problem when my pto quit while throwing snow. For some reason I remember a fuse.

Oh bother, are we this high on the hydro peg board again? You know, energy transfer verses mechanical, lol! Well, if I ever came across a R-E-A-L-L-Y nice hydro QL1650, I'd have to think about a trade. In my book, the QL Series are the best looking GT IH ever made. Oooo, that's a difficult one I put myself in!

All kidding aside fellas, I wanted to give a shout out to Charlie, and Cub Cadet Specialties. I'm sorry for the loss, and hope you can get a home again, and open up another IH Cub Cadet store. I got a fair order this summer, and the service was A-1, and I wont mention how the site is the best on the web. Easy to navigate, easy to use, and never had any problems finding what I need. Cant keep a good person down, and I'm sure you will be alright!

I'm out,......... John

Vince,

Check the gap on the PTO Clutch......many times they open up from wear and vibration and then the magnet can't grab it well enough to engage.

Hmmm, a fuse - probably located just below the switch on just in front of me on the dash tower. Geez an electronics guy like myself could probably think of that. Instead of looking I just switched Cub Cadets.

I'll also check the gap.

I found out my 1650 steered much easier than my new 1250. My 1650 has a K241 10hp motor, it seemed to be quieter(I know QL series, but both of these are) yet it rattled more during lower speeds. Its also a much slower Cub Cadet, seems top speed on the 1250 is much faster.

Would the 12hp or even the 10hp have those wonderful balance gears?

Vince,

I think QL's have a fuse holder just below the dash on the dash tower for the PTO. Give that a check. If blown you might need to adjust the PTO for the proper air gap.

Thanks guys, I'll check these things out. Dennis my mind is telling me I hear those balance gears in this 12hp...and it smokes a little bit so I think I'll open it up and see what I find out before something happens - some time this winter. I think I'm done mowing this year.

Never jump to conclusions. A K301 with no compression just could be a sticking valve. (Intake, in this case).
happy.gif

Vince - I don't know for sure, but I seem to have read that the QL tractors didn't have engines with balance gears. I've got a 14 and 16 HP engine in/for QL tractors and neither have balance gears.

Dennis, That CCO is long gone It stayed in Idaho when we moved east. I did get to talk to the new owner a few times and it was rebuilt as an electric start. Too many hard to find parts. I had three with an 8000 series serial numbers for a bit. Still have the stamped casting with a 3000 something number for another one.

G'morning, All.
happy.gif
Still fighting this danged cold. Good news is Fancy's 1650 is up and running. MANY THANK YOUS to CC SPECIALTIES for the needed parts. Once Charlie is up and running we'll be getting more from him. We hope to have some nice action shots this weekend.

For all those guys (and gals) that don't have a regular welder and need to weld that trunion replacement (from CC Spcialties or Xtreme Motorworks).... I found this on Youtube... Welding using Car Batteries and jumper cables.

Off to work. Everyone have a safe and wonderful day. (Charlie and family are still in our thoughts and prayers.)

Tony H.

The Kohler KT series engines sometimes have a suffix at the end denoting particular specifications. The Kohler manual states a “S” suffix is an electric start.
I have two M18s (manufactured in the mid 80’s)and both have metal handles on the dipstick with a rubber gasket (like a faucet washer) under the skirt that seals it to the tube. I can’t imagine there being a pressure relief as the KT series engines have a crank case breather that vents to the air cleaner housing
Jim P

Back