Archive through November 01, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Charlie,

I need to get it apart to know for sure. I may need (hope I need) one of those bushings rather than the armature.

PAUL T. - I'm sure some CC's came new on Firestone tires, but all the new CC's I was ever around all had GY's. I have seen several pic's of CC's with Firestone rears but can't remember ever seeing any Firestone frts in the 4.00/4.80X8 size but I'm sure there were some since your tractor has them.

But I will say one thing, those Firestones look to be in great shape for a 50 yr old tire where as my GY's on a couple of my tractors look like heck after 40 yrs. That "Gum Dipped" idea Firestone did back then does make a difference in how long their tires resist checking & cracking.

LARRY C. - Didn't you read any of my posts about using heavy, like 90W, gear oil in wheel bearings? I'm sure at some point grease when exposed to heavy pressure returns to it's primary ingredient, OIL, and if heated enough it will flow some. But haven't you ever taken something apart that has had grease in a mechanism and seen how the grease is piled around out of the way of bearings & gears? I've had elec. power tools like drills, saber saws, grinders, etc. so hot I can barely hold on to them with gloves on and when I take them apart there's piles of grease around the bearings & gears, but nothing on the wear surfaces. It doesn't really flow well enough to lube well.

Dennis, thanks for the reminder, I forgot the part about the 2 spoonfuls of 90 weight oil when I read the part about trucks using oil in the wheel bearings and got to thinking if there were a way to adapt it to the Cubs. A tip of the hat to you and Nic, I'll repack my wheel bearings using a baggie and add some 90W oil.

Question...

How does one go about removing the front main bearing from a K-321? This isn't the bearing in the bearing plate but the opposite bearing in the casting. I see where I can get a slide hammer on the inner race but I'm afraid of lateral stress on the ball bearings themselves. The manual I am using just tells how to install and not remove. This is the ruined block and the bearing is good so I'm just wanting to get it out in the event I may need one someday. I'm scraping the block and have everything else removed.

Thanks in advance!

Wayne Shytle

Did you try heat on the block and tap on a piece of wood to remove the bearing? I bet that would work great if you poor some cold water on the bearing before you use your multi angle swing press lol.

Larry Carter
When we refurb a gear box on a snow blower or a tiller ,I use 90w gear lube mixed with grease. The gear lube will keep the grease from drying out and shrinking away from the bearing . I good idea I think .

DON - SON bought some 85W-140 gear oil a couple years ago for the rearend of his pickup when we rebuilt it the last time, it's mineral oil, not synthetic. At colder temps, around 20-30 degrees F it barely pours, but will flow. It might be a better lube than the 90W/grease mix. I've also heard that another lawn equipment co makes what they call "Corn Head Grease" specifically for lubing the right angle gearboxes they use to run the gathering units on their corn heads. It flows well too I hear.

I just keep thinking about the "Old Fashioned Wheel Bearing grease" from decades ago, was about the consistency of peanut butter.

Harry, yes those are the ones. Not the right tread pattern but they are a good fit and work well. Nick

So Dennis,
What would ya say that stuff would do up my way at 35 to 45 BELOW zero?
biggrin.gif

I'll stick with my 90 wt. and grease combo!

Latest posts

Back