• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 29, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other Cub-front news. Purchased a 147 yesterday. Hope to get it home tomorrow. It's got a complete replacement K321 engine in it that runs beautifully and it has the hydraulic lift kit, to boot. The owner refurbed the 48" deck with new spindles and blade baffles, too. Steering's pretty bad - appears that a roll pin up front was replaced with an old nail. When I was driving it from the owner's house to a friend's place nearby, the old girl was all over the road.

Since I just LOVE NF Cubs so much, you won't have to guess what this one's destiny is. Hey Ryan, here's one more for you to be p*ssed at me about! :eek:)

Keith

Surfacing from under the water......

Richard C-
Any idea why they changed the spring location on the QL's like that? <font size="-2">Musta been cheaper/easier somehow...</font>

Keith-
Let me take a guess........
lazerburn.gif
<font size="+2">???</font>

Speaking of parades...
Looks like I may just be "in the hood" of you Northern Ill. boys this summer afterall.
wink.gif

Art- Does that mean they should have "CT's" readily available for ya when you march by with the band???? Or a Cub for ya to ride on while providing direction to the kids????

(Message edited by hsimon on May 30, 2004)

(Message edited by hsimon on May 30, 2004)

I got the brake return spring mounted. Thanks for the help. If time allows, I'm hoping to get the operator pedestal moved today.

If it would ever stop raining here, I'd like to get the 147 home today. It's raining like a BIG DOG again now. Once it dries out around here, I'm going to take the opportunity to tear up the yard I worked so hard on last year so that I can trench in some drain tile. When the birds are using your back yard to bath in, it's time to change something. Yikes!

Hi everyone,
Hope everybody was high and dry yesterday and last night.
I have a question about the shift linkage on my later QL 1650. There is a fair amount of play between the shaft to which the shift handle is affixed and the link and lower rod that transfers the motion to the hydro cam. Is this typical? If not, how can I fix it? This is the only place there is any slop in my shift linkage. Thanks, guys.

Tom, not sure about the cost of the cat 0 disc - in fact it may be a cat 1 - cant remember. I was so put off by the "trailer" cost I quite looking. What are you putting a 3pt on? And how? I am again thinking about a cat 0 3 pt for a 169 - can it be done within a couple hundred dollars? CJM

Just want to take a minute to say..
<font size="+2">Thank you</font>
to all those that have and are serving in our armed forces. Also to take some time to remember all those who have fallen to keep us free.
With all of you we would not be here now.
Thanks for taking the time out of you life to protect us.

Art,
Just let us know when you're "in the hood" so I can barbed wire off the yard and hide the women folk.

Art
I really liked the short return spring on the right side better, much easier to mount and worked good but like you I suspect it was cheaper to use a longer spring and just connect it to part of the frame than to weld on a bracket.

David B.

On the slop in your linkage, some slop is normal with a 30 year old machine, but if it is too much you will get a speed change going up and down hill even if your trunion bracket is perfect. When you are working the hydro hard there is always pressure on the trunion shaft and all that prevents it from changing is the friction setting on your speed control lever and the linkeage in between so if the linkage has a lot of slop you will experience a speed change.

You need to find where the slop is. I usually start with cleaning and adjusting the friction control to the manual specs. Check that the bracket holding the speed control is mounted solid, sometimes I find the bolts holding it are loose allowing it to flex. Then you should have a bracket with two ball joints, the earlier models were different, I clean and lube them and if too bad they can be replaced.

19165.jpg

Then check the two ball joints on the lower arm.

19166.jpg

Happy Memorial Day you all!!!! Continue to pray for all who are still OVER THERE...

Hey Keith-
Quit complainin' about all that water, and go FISHIN'!!!

(it works in my front yard...)

Got a question about creeper gears. Picked one up, it is cast iron i'm guessing. Has the long shifter rod. What does it fit? Have installed it in my 70 but was a pain!!!!!!!!! Can the lever be interchanged with a 2 piece one that I'm guessing is the right one for my 70?
Thanks Dan

(Message edited by dleis on May 31, 2004)

Richard C,
Thanks for your reply and the great pictures. I do not have the upper two ball joints. I have a piece of rod bent in the shape of a "C". That is where all the slop is. I take it there is a short piece of threaded rod between the two ball joints. If the ball joints are the same as the steering ball joints I already have two brand-new spares. ALL I need is the rod. Am I correct?

David B.
That upper link with the ball joints is a one piece unit. You could make something up with a couple of ball joints if you have the clearance and just make it to the same dimensions as the original bracket. The lower ball joints are different from the ones you use on the front steering too. They are smaller.

Well it was a big day at my house today as my youngest son Dexter 6 yrs old cut the grass all by himself on the 109. Did a real nice job & couldn't wait to p/u older bro Jaxon from school to tell of his accomplishment

well, the 169 is a roller again. i got the turf masters mounted on the front with new bearings and for now, the 149's original silvertowns on the rear.

19171.jpg

this pic shows why you should JUST SAY NO to calcium filled tires without tubes. one of the previous owners did a bondo rim repair, then refilled with calcium, no tubes.

19172.jpg

got to play with the loader moving some lime today. tested how much i could put in the bucket with my 300lbs counterweight and still get traction. 450 to 500lbs was tops, lifted 600 but couldn't get traction. might have done it with the backhoe on (350lbs).

19173.jpg

Hey! Look what followed the Smoker home yesterday between thunderstorms.
19177.jpg

Hope you didn't like the grass where you dumped that CACl Nate...cause it will all be dead in a couple days...and the soil will be sterile as well...been there, done that.

Latest posts

Back