• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 26, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DENNIS F- Yes, the Kohler prices for replacement parts are dandy! I went with all Stens for a complete rebuild on a great running engine to start with,... and never looked back! The Kohler K241 power plant in my all-gear 1968 model 72 International Harvester Cub Cadet runs so good, you'd never know any different! Sure is nice to have friends who know the Kohler Cub Cadet engines!

Can anyone tell me the group size of a C.C. battery part # 925-04514 TIA

JOHN L. - You could build a good running V8 engine for less than a Kohler. Small block Chevy, 5.0L Ford... Year ago OEM Kohler piston, rings, wrist pin & keepers was over $200, rod over $100, exh valve around $100, gasket set $80 or $90. I used all Stens parts except the rod & head gasket. And the K241 seems to be running just fine.

I think part of the reason Kohler has jacked the price up so bad on parts is they're trying to kill off the old K-series engines completely. I'm afraid I have some BAD news for them.... As long as I can find rebuildable blocks, I'll keep rebuilding engines.

Tim W.

Unless you ran your engine out of oil, it still may be OK. As Dennis mentioned the connecting rod is the first thing to go without oil and it usually leaves a nice hole in the block. Overheating your engine could cause it to stall via a seize up but after it cools, you should still be able spin the engine. Be sure to check inside the flywheel shroud to make sure you don't have a mouse nest in there.

Alternately, you might have had a bearing seize up on your clutch or transmission or Starter/Generator. If you have a creeper, that could be another possible source of trouble. Also check the mule drive idler pulleys and tiller gearbox to see if they are stuck. Hope this helps.

I had a CC seize a number of years ago. Don't remember exactly what model it was, a 125 I think.
Anyways the dipper broke off of the end of the rod cap and starved it for oil. I parted the trator at that point although the engine block does live on in a friends CC.
Was mowing and it started to labor real bad, turned it around and shut off the PTO and she seized before I could throttle it down.

Dennis - I 'm with ya 100% on rebuilding as long as you can find a block! Cushman quit the scooter business in 1965, I can still build a complete engine as long as I can find a block - everything else is available - and from one source - Dennis Carpenter. I'd like to turn him on to Cubs - he started with old Ford pickups and you can now get parts for just about everything built up to the mid '60s - a lot of it from original dies. He got into Cushman's - same story... He's now into 8/9/2N Fords and that catalog is getting bigger every year... If MTD keeps making parts NLA, we need to talk to him - and I've got a friend that knows him personally - Bob handled the licensing program with FoMoCo and actually found a lot of the old Ford dies for his company..

Gerry, I think I know a guy that's got a one-stop shop for cubs. His name is Charlie.

Gerry I. I know of a fella that has around twnety or so Kohler ten and twelve horse engines in a shed. For some reason he took the heads off (
bash.gif
) and the carburetors. Blocks are still very usable only he wants $50.00 a block. I tried shooting him a price for all and he got a little p.o.'d at me. He knows they will take rebuilding only he doesn't need the money.

Nick B. Just think if Charlie decides to have an Open House when he gets everything up and going again... Cub Cadet Parts Heaven...
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back