• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 26, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt-
Nice line up! I think I recognize one.

Vince-
No, you're wrong. This may not be completely correct, but:

WILLIS - Hard telling what a prior owner has installed for an engine in a CC in the last 37 years. It's pretty easy to install ANY Kohler single cyl. engine into a wide frame like Your 109. Someplace someone has a 129 they think has a 14 HP engine in it, but I'm sorry to say it's just a K301 12 HP, with the flywheel, blower housing & backplate off the K321 14 HP engine that's in My CC 72, which by the way, serial number tag says is a K241.
roflol.gif

Can't help You with Your computer problems, but once You get the Kohler manual printed out, I forget how many total pages it is, 100 Plus! It covers the K91(4 hp) K161(7 hp) K181(8 hp) K241(10 hp) K301(12 hp) K321(14 hp) & K341(16 hp) plus LOTS of special features not normally on CC's.

Perhaps try a computer & printer at work or library, friend or neighbor's place. The thing I like is even though I have a printed copy from 20+ yrs ago, plus a reprint off Kohler's website from 5-6 yrs ago, Kohler has continued to update the manual. The version on their site now is updated quite a bit in the last couple years.

I have a Carter carburetor question. This will get a rebuild and is not in service.
It's a Carter N #26. When it is off the tractor and in my hand should all the "rigging" on top of the throttle shaft be removable by simply turning it over? Or are all those screws and collars suppose to keep it in place? If ya need a picture I'll wait till tomorrow. I'm beat.

Allen Schumacher,

So what's up?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Do ya have any experience with these? Do you know why this is happening and how it shouls be?

Rich, I just went thru the Kohler big book and did not find any reference to that type of linkage. I cant believe any mfgr. would depend on an external link to hold that yoke assy down. What would happen if you hit a big bounce!? I suspect one of the lower screws was supposed to clamp that yoke to the shaft. maybe now bent/worn so it doesnt hold right. Real answer will come from one of the guys with extensive rebuilding expierence. <font size="-2">(sorry for the lack of a good answer. A.)</font>

I have a 108 that I am using as a parts tractor and it has the narrow front tires. Can I use the front spindles on my 169 and will the wide tires work on those spindles? I am asking this because the 108 is some distance from me. Thanks

Allen Schumacher,

Yes I agree. I can't believe the linkage from the carb to the governor arm serves that purpose. I'll wait. It won't get rebuilt right away anyway. But to me it is curious.
greenthumb.gif

Richard...Could this screw be to tighten (clamp)the piece on the shaft ? The 7hp from my 73 doesn't have that style either. Maybe a pic of the underside ?

152332.jpg

Richard P, Allen S: That assembly on top of the carb and on the throttle shaft is an IH-385494-R1, Dog Assembly, Throttle Shaft. What is not shown in Richard P's photo's is the other side of the dog assembly!..If not broken off, it has a "c" clamp design which is screw tightened to clamp the dog assembly to the top portion of the throttle shaft - thus preventing it from being lifted up or "falling off". This design with a separate Throttle Shaft and the Dog Assembly is NLA and has long been superceded by a Kohler "Shaft & Lever Assembly", a one piece unit, which you find in all the Kohler Carb manuals.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

In the photo Brendam B just posted, the circled screw is the one which tightens the "c clamp" design of the Dog Assembly to the throttle shaft.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I'd clean it up an reinstall it, tighten carefully. Looks like it should be alright. Maybe just loosened from vibration.

edit....just seen Allan's post...ok, maybe a little Locktite if the threads are good
happy.gif

It might look like a gap, but it isn't. The screw is at maximum torque. I guess this will be a fix it best I can deal.
bash.gif

Richard: Remove the screw and clean up that slot so the screw, when replaced, will pull the two "arms" of the clamp together and tighten down on the throttle shaft. Careful!! It's "pot" metal and fairly soft but it can break if flexed too much...

Myron B

The engine is beautiful. I put on a new plug wire, installed a sediment bowl with all new brass fittings and a copper line. Then I changed out the carb and this engine is as smooth as buttermilk. I never looked at the plug or points.

Latest posts

Back