Archive through May 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig-
No problem, it wasn't the best attempt at partial images to achieve a high-resolution picture. I did it hoping someone would figure out where the frame was from.

Question regarding Cat-0 Brinly plows-
How deep is the gauge wheel supposed to allow the plow to run. By the looks of things on a Cat-0 I checked out, a plow with a gauge wheel would be limited to 6" plowing depth. Anyone have a scan of a manual to confirm this?

Dave, great question. I was hoping someone would ask that.

With a project of this nature, I think the answer is always yes. Long story short, I now am a user of "Virtual Engines", a very powerful computer code for modeling IC engines. Not to be confused with "Desktop Dyno", Virtual Engines takes into account all the inlet and exhaust ducting, plenums, valve and port geometry, cam/valve events, combustion chamber surface/volume ratios, etc. The program will then produce power, torque, IMEP, PMEP, BMEP, delivery ratio, thermal efficiency (and more) plots that are very accurate to what a real engine would do on the dyno - sometimes within 3%. Armed with this powerfull tool, I've modeled my K301 engine as described in the article (a spare time project).

I've never actually dynoed my engine so I'm relying on the predictions, but I know from experience in modeling other L-head engines that I'm within 10% of actual test data. The calculated results indicate peak power of around 16 BHP @ 4200 rpm with the Madson cheater cam, and peak torque of 23 ft-lbf @ 2600, as built.

Here's what helps. The larger K321-341 exhaust valve is good for almost 1 hp increase at 4000 rpm. Adding a 22 inch straight exhaust is good for about 1.25 hp increase. Going to the larger #30 carb yields slight benefits above 4000, but detracts at peak torque. Advancing the cam timing by 6 crank degrees moves the power peak down to 3800 rpm where, with all the above mods, produces an amazing 18 BHP with peak torque bumped up to 24.5 ft-lbf @ 2400 rpm.

The straight pipe is not acceptable in the 'hood so next best is to gut the muffler and make a glass pack. Not as effective as the straight pipe but good for .5 hp increase vs 1.0 for straight pipe.

Now you know all my secrets and what I'll be building for KK#2.

(Message edited by dkirk on May 24, 2004)

David Kirk
You said that you had measured the pressure on your hydro. What did you get at a 900 rpm idle?
In all the checks I have done the pressure really starts to drop below 1800 rpm. I find it harder to adjust the Neutral adjustment when the idle is below 1800 and the pressure is low. The manual only list the pressure at maximum idle speed so I don't know what they consider adequate at minimum idle. I like to see them 110psi or better at idle. Maybe your trying to operate the hydro outside of its designed parameters.

Wyatt, let's see, low tunnel, QA front, gotta be a 72, yes? I know you added some details to it.

Mike L. - Thanks for the suggestion. This is another area that I should look at. But the noise I have problems with comes from the hydraulic lift circuit.

Richard C. - I think the gauge read around 90-100 psi @ 900 rpm idle speed. And this is where the noise is most noticeable. Your right, I'm probably trying to idle too low.

Wyatt,

147 with the tunnel cut off and a 70/100 tunnel welded back in it's place???????

Steve, I was thinking that too, but I thought he added the flare for the larger flywheel on a frame. So I had to go have a look in my archives, looks like you might be correct.

19089.jpg

Does the 73 frame have the "flair" in it for the bigger (14hp) blower housing? That would explain why it doesn't look to be altered in that picture...

I have a front axle that has wear in the pivot bolt and/or the axle. At the wheels it will move front to rear about an inch or two. Has anyone have a rebuild procedure for this other than just putting in a new bolt? I haven't taken it apart yet to see if the axle itself has wear but I expect that it will.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim E

Art, no, only the 147 had the flare. It has to be a 147 frame. Someone that used to post here had added the flare, I was thinking it was Wyatt, but a look through the archives shows that the frame Wyatt has, has a factory flare.

I do recall Wyatt got a 147 frame from Travis...but he didn't detail how he welded the low tunnel on the frame...and I always wonder that everytime he posts it...let alone getting one off a tractor in one piece.

Drill out the spot welds maybe?

Art/Ryan -

Nah, I just think he paid attention to how Dan does it
wink.gif

YOU GUYS...... Wyatt's new employer must not let Him post to IH sites. I agree with Bryan.... I know Dan & Wyatt had a LOT of long discussions before this Wheatland came together!

Denny -

That and I KNOW Dan didn't leave a tunnel cover on for long on any of his projects...

As we all know, Dan has a knack for this stuff, with a certain finesse, too. The rest of us would prolly just grab our 2# mallet and a cold chisel and wail away with appropriate results
lol.gif

Latest posts

Back