• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,
Just got done going through the old #1 from the cities. I think it's gonna be a good one.
28270.jpg

Charlie,
No young ladies? I would think a good look'in clean cub would attract the ladies of all ages.
biggrin.gif

During the annual Pressure Washing of the Deck (the wood deck, not the mowing deck), I bought a different brand of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) this year. This is normally mixed with water and bleach to pre-soak the wood prior to pressure washing. It is a concentrated liquid that comes in a 1-quart plastic bottle, and is by Clean-Strip. Available at Home Depot, Fleet Farm, etc., it looks like this:
28278.jpg

After use, I was about to discard the container when it dawned on me that this would make the perfect Marvel Mystery Oil dispenser. After soaking, removing the labels, drying, and filling with the mysterious red hydrocarbon, my new dispenser looks like so:
28279.jpg

If you mix according to directions (4 oz to 10 gallons) this works out to 12 ml per gallon, or 24 ml per 2 gallons, which is the capacity of my gas cans. The small metering chamber on the dispenser holds 30 ml and is graduated so everything works out just right. No muss, no fuss measuring.

I don't know if this is possible but can coils short out.I disconnected the power wire (the one that was melting) from the coil,when you touch it on the terminal you get a large spark,so this to me means that the coil is grounding out somehow,anyone heard of this before?

Steve,

Measure resistance across the primary (+) and (-) terminals. You should see between 3 and 4 ohms. Anything less and I'd get suspicious that the coil's windings have become shorted.

Dave,

The Cub Gods will have to forgive me......I use the "four or five good sized glugs per 5 gallon can" method.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I want to replace the cork gasket between the hydro and the tranny with a neopreme gasket,since there appears to a fair amount of evidence that the neopreme is a much better material. What grade and thickness neopreme should be used? Also, where can I get this stuff? I have called several auto parts stores,tractor dealers, and nobody has it. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

kevin/roland.... ya misunderstood what i was sayin about the deck on that 782D deck...
what i was saying was that it was not the orginal deck on it, for if you look at it, it has the front anti scalp wheels, anti-step bar and re-inforced deck stamping. ... these decks are only available new in yellow from MTD... hence my comment on it being repainted white to match the original 782 deck

Dave B.
I've been using the Neopreme for several years now and never had one leak yet. Sure beats the old cork ones. I use a 1/16 inch Neopreme material that I get from a local Auto parts store. You may check at implement dealers as they use it to make a lot of gaskets for farm implements around here. I have a new cork gasket that I use for a pattern.

28283.jpg

Colin T:

My original 50C deck, in white, has the front gauge wheels. See the attached 50C parts diagram:

28286.jpg

My deck does NOT have the gauge wheel reinforcement rod. If I recall correctly, seems there was some discussion concerning this rod that was adressed in a Service Bulletin. Maybe someone could chime in and expand on that.

DAVE K #1 & Steve B. #2 - Last fall while running My lawn vac picking up leaves powered by a freshly rebuilt K-181 Kohler I think I suffered EVERY Failure mode for ignition coils possible. I went thru three used coils in one day. One coil even cooked the points/condensor. Coil on the K-181 is about two feet from the backrest of the seat on the 72 when I'm vacuuming. Was the neatest thing to see the oil from inside the coil so hot it was steaming and a rather large Geyser of hot oil gushing out of the center terminal of the coil. I have a 10 amp fuse wired into the power lead for the ignition system for the K-181 and I'm surprised it didn't blow. Takes a lot of juice to heat a coil up that much.
RICHARD C. - Your old cork gasket looks Just like the one I took out of the 129 about 4-5 yrs ago. New cork gasket slowed the leak but never stopped it. Someday It and the 982 will have a new gasket like the other one in Your picture. I've NEVER seen a cork gasket that couldn't be improved by making it from something else! Sheet gasket mat'l is available from Grainger & McMaster-Carr. Other materials available are Buna-N, also called Nitrile, and Viton. Either one would probably also work well in this application if You read the technical data. If You get real fancy They also sell Teflon but the compressive strength on it is probably too high for this application. Just read the descriptions for the materials and chose something able to withstand hot (200-250 Deg. F) mineral oil.

Quick Question:

Will a K341 short block with the spec number 45 522 44 play nicely with the K341 from my 169?

Thanks!

Colin,

RE: Yellow decks.

The deck shown on that 782D was available in IH white from the factory on the early cyclops models (1862, etc.) and some of the very late 1811's, etc. I have literature that verifies this.

You are correct in saying it is a replacement deck (the "loop" didn't appear until after 1985) but that does not automatically make it a "yellow only" deck.

Nice catch on the "later than correct" deck on that 782 though!!!

(Message edited by sblunier on May 24, 2005)

STEVE B. - "Cyclops Models"
roflol.gif
Without a doubt, one of the homliest CC's ever made.....First 1862/2062 I ever saw made Me want a 1872/2072 REAL BAD....

Denny......Cyclops......homely??? Have you seen the 1000 series, 1500 series, 2000 series, 2500 series, 3000 series or 5000 series lately??

Why the 200 mph "NASCAR" style hood? Do we really need to cut that fast??

I know my hydro will cut foot tall grass in 3rd gear....wait.....it doesn't have gears....it will just cut foot tall grass.

I hope that CCC will get on the retro styling binge and reintroduce a 1X8/1X9 or X82 series styled tractor.

Their sales would definately increase!!

Steve B.,

May the Cub gods forgive me - I forgot all about that wonderful, audible, unit of liquid volume measurement, the Glug. If memory serves correctly, 2.5 glugs equal a slosh, 8 sloshes are a sloosh, and 11 slooshes equal 412 smidgeons. And don't forget the flowrate measurement standard, glugs/fortnight.

Back