Archive through May 17, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellis

displayname
Craig Ellis
Kraig: How big? I've got a couple 8 inch clamps - will that get 'er done? I don't mind some scratches...

Craig, I've never tried it I was just throwing an idea out there. The clamp(s) would have to fit around the channel, you might need both, one on each side of the pin, to really snug that channel back together. Just be careful don't over do it with the "C" clamps, wouldn't want one to break......
yikes.gif

Kraig: Got it. I'll look it over and see if it'll work. My only concern is making it steer well enough to navigate the yard without crashing into things!! Right now, I took it for a drive last night (in the rain, no less) and it's pretty bad - worse than I thought. Compared to my 782 it is very bad and I'm figuring the design difference between the two is where the real problems are. I don't have time to rebuild the steering box this summer so I'll have to see what I can think of in the way of quick fixes.

Thanks everyone, I'll do some testing tonight!! Dave ps- the lawn is growing...

Craig, you may not need to rebuild the steering box to tighten the steering up, it might be as simple as just snugging up the screw plug in the bottom. If you don't have a service manual it might be a good idea to get one. Also a LOT of slop can be in those old ball joints, replacing them is a quick, easy and cheap (relatively) fix.

Craig E.-

There really aren't any design differences in the front axle between a 129 and 782. They both use the same axle casting and spindles, the only real difference is the 1x8/9's use a solid pin that is roll-pinned into place for the pivot, and the 82 series use a very large bolt. Next time you have the engine out, replace that pin with the bolt and that'll make fixing this easier in the future.

Tom: Nice herd, mine keeps growing also. As many know the very lovely Mamma Corn is handicapped so it is very hard to check my shop but I had that one terrible question asked of me the other day.

"Honey how many Cubs do we have now?"

Didn't lie took it like a man and explained why we own what we own?
BedFart.gif

Pops

TOM - What's that White one second from the Left? Where & When did You get that?
Someday when I'm home I'm going to hunt You up! Dad & I never made it together but I'll get there someday!
Dave P. - Last Kohler Coil I bought I thought I paid closer to $40 for. They're a special coil. A normal auto parts store $15 coil will only last about 1-2 yrs. The breather vent from the crankcase is located about 2 inches from the points....comments about the "D" shaped rubber grommet, and the gasket are all good info... The pushrod that opens the points & rubs on the cam is sealed with a tiny O-ring and I've heard of those o-rings deteriorating and blowby contaminating the points and causing problems. That's why some of the suppliers above sell steel pushrods since the alum. wears. My ONAN engine doesn't seal the ign. points NEAR as well as the Kohlers do and My 982 "DIED" early last summer and the points looked like they'd been dipped in used transmission oil drained out of some old green 2-cyl. tractor built in 1939. I'm surprised it ran at all.

Denny, the 19.9HP Onan CCKB in my Allis Chalmers 620 always has oil on the points due to that poor sealing push rod. I've replaced the bushing and the pushrod and it didn't make any difference. I have to open up the points box several times a summer and wipe out all the oil.
angry.gif
I'd like to give it a 24hp Honda repower.
drool.gif

Matt: I just looked up all the parts on the Cub online tool and you're right - the only diff I could find is the bolt & nut arrangement. I've got an assortment of 3/4 bolts up at the barn and will give this a try. I can see the problem with the 129's arrangement.

Kraig: Thanks a ton for all the off-line help. Saved me serious time and effort - I appreciate it. I ordered a service manual but it'll be a while getting here I'm sure. Probably alot of things are the same as between my 782 and the 129 though. I did notice the mule seems different - pulley sizes and a couple other details. I like the 129's mule retention spring arrangement better.

Dennis.
Couple years ago I didn't know what to do with this.

56733.jpg

So I made this

56734.jpg

Stop by sometime
TP

Kraig you should repower it with a Turbo Kubota engine Diesel of course

Look what just followed me home! A 149 parts tractor for sure.

56739.jpg

56740.jpg

This one has the sport utility options: wheel spinners and a trailer ball.

I can't seem to find anything but stinking wide frames lately...where are all the zig zags?

Mike, a diesel in the AC620 chassis would be nice but would be a LOT of work to make it fit, if it even could fit. Small Engine Warehouse has a kit with adapters and mounts to allow a 24hp Honda to fit right in. The only mods are a slight notch has to be cut from the baffle on the underside of the hood.

Kraig - Get a 7000 series and be done with it.

Pop - I bet you had momma down on her knees when you fessed up to the number of cubs in the barn.

Momma: "Pop come out from under that bed and fight like a man !"

KRAIG - Shhhhhhh ...Every time I get a Northern catalog I end up thinking that SAME engine will end up in my 982.

TOM - Looks like that Original was "Marking It's Territory!" Sure looks nice now in it's current condition!

Kraig...only $1650... such a deal we have for you! For that you could find a old VW engine... but the fit might be a bit tight
yikes.gif

Allen, actually it's $1725 for my Allis Chalmers. That $1650 would be for Denny's 982.

Latest posts

Back