• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 11, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I'll put it here too.
Question for you guys doing business on this page!
Do you think those pretty boxes at the top of this page and all the other pages on this forum are just for looks?

There's not one thing that is/was made for a Cub Cadet that one or more of those sponsors doesn't have or can't get!

Ouch! Sorry boss
bottom.gif

Putting my mower deck on today got me to looking at the parts break down and I found that some decks had guide wheels that ran inside the width of the tractor as well as the rear corners. Or am I misunderstanding the parts break down. Did decks that came with inside wheels have cast ends that did not have mounts for wheels? Just curious.

The inner wheels are for the 38" deck only, on that deck they won't fit on the outside. Note the label on the wheels drawn in with hidden lines on the last picture.

Well, broke down my engine and miced it, a 12 hp, dissapointing, being that I was sold a 14 hp tractor. I may be selling it <font color="ff0000">(ENGINE ONLY)
</font> soon to sponsor a repower setup (14/16 hp) and the rebuild kit for said engine. (Nothing against the 12, it worked great, but I am a hp guy, and yes, I read the pdf on the "KILLER KOHLER" but I don't have the money for that... (so I will buy a rebuildable engine, and drop it in.) but no one really cares, I know. Hell, it is fun to dream...

Charlie, if you are referring to me advising Dave Mcnair to find a good CUB DEALER then that is useing one of the sponsors because ANY CUB DEALER IS AN MTD AFFILIATE and thats one of the pretty boxes at the top of the screen as a matter of fact it's the one marked CUB CADET PARTS LOOK UP.

Charlie,

What has me wondering is that the first version deck, that has the cast iron ends, only shows 'cie(s)' with a wheel mount on the outside, in either the 38 or 42. So would it be safe to assume that there were never any 'cast iron end' decks that had the wheels in the center? The parts look up shows the inside wheel set as a possibility with a 'cie' deck but that doesn't make sense if you still have the mounts for the outside wheel set. If you have the 23x 8.50 tires you couldn't have the 38" deck, unless you had the inside wheel kit because the guide wheels would hit the rear tires. According to the parts look up the deck in the pic you posted didn't come out till 68' so were the 'cie' decks the only style avalible till then or is the parts look up not accurate?
confused.gif

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to fault the parts look up, I'm just interested in the mystery.
thumbsup_old.gif

Brian B.
About the only thing I can tell you for sure is, the wheels are great when you have 23x10.50's on any tractor with those style decks.
Have I ever seen or had one that looked like it came that way, No.
Have I switched them to the inside, yes.
The parts lookup is just that, there's lots there that doesn't apply in real life INHO, but it's still fun to snoop around looking for stuff.
biggrin.gif

Yea.

I never knew that my deck was supposed to have a spring tension arm assembly till I got to looking today. Also didn't know that there was an optional mulching plug avalible for those decks. All good info. Very interesting.

Brian B.
Well there ya go. Another good reason to buy all those nasty high priced manuals.
beerchug.gif

BTW, Once you start, you can't quit!
Ask my wife!
biggrin.gif

Charlie

My wife is always quick to fill folks in on my hobbies and what she has to put up with. The cub, the H, the chainsaws ect. Maybe it's just a wife thing. LOL

Ya I got to get some more books for my H and my cub. I picked up some stuff at red power last year and about went broke. It's all worth it though isn't it.

shame.gif
With my appologies to "Digger", I hope I have found the right spot for this posting... I have a 70's era 1250 Hydro which has been quite the workhorse. After shutting it down for a short period of time I went to restart it. Nothing. In past, on a rare occasion, I would have to slightly jiggle the electric PTO switch and it would fire right up. I attempted to do the same this time round with no luck. While playing with the PTO switch, if I should move it all the way up to the engaged position, I can hear the relay clicking away as though it wants to engage. There is plenty of juice to battery so that does not seem to be a factor. Anyone have any guesses/suggestions. I was thinking possible a neutral safety switch problem but I'm not really sure where to start. Thanks in advance for any of your feedback.

Richard L.
You have indeed found the right spot.
thumbsup_old.gif

Sounds like you have found your problem. Unplug it and clean up the spades on the back of the PTO switch and clean the female end the best you can and use some dielectric grease or something like that when you plug it back in. You should be good to go. BTDT and it's aggervating.
biggrin.gif

It might be time to go through the entire tractor and clean up connections. It's always a good idea to check'um every once and a while.

Got another question.
happy.gif

When I was putting the new tires on my original cadet, I noticed its wheel axles are not tight in the transmission, they wobble up and down about 1/8inch, and also in and out the same. How bad is this? I assume the wheel bushings are worn out, but is there more to it than that ? I haven't seen any info yet online about replacing the rear wheel bearings/bushings.

Steve N.
The parts lookup button above with show you what parts you need to fix those loose axles, Just do a search for Cub Cadet.
56502.jpg

and these pics should show ya how to remove them and stick'um back in.
56503.jpg
56504.jpg

I had a guy come by today that said he thought he had a little noise problem somewhere in his tractor, LOL
I guess it had been giving him fits for a couple years!
56506.jpg

56507.jpg

56508.jpg

Stevenson - The axle will have in/out movement because it has C-clip retainers. Check any GM product with C-clips and they have movement , alot more than .125". The up/down movement isn't good though.

Latest posts

Back