• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 10, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a loong endevor of screwing around I decided to take the driveshaft out of my 124 to change the teaser spring. I took it out because i couldnt(and still cant) gethe roll pin the holds the teaser springand everything else together. Meanwhile I still cant hold the big driveshaft spring back to get a good hit at the roll pin. I thought id change the clutch bearing while in at it too. so.. How the heck can i get the pin out? I hit it pretty hard but it just piens over

Kraig - You see how cool Digger was last night ?
Came in and posted a goofy looking pic and never said a word about Kathy's birthday ... boy she'll never suspect a thing ... literally !!

Josh,
That spring is under a lot of pressure and can hurt you, or worse, if the assembly is not secured in a vise or fixture to keep it from sending parts all over the shop when the pins are removed. I suggest you leave it alone until you read the service manual for the tractor to see and learn how to disassemble the clutch/driveshaft. It can and will hurt you if not done correctly.

Paul B, ok thanks Ill look at it right now. only thing is I do have a shop press but I dont have that special tool ive heard about thats suppose to help in doing this...

Josh - If you get it compressed and it slips it'll be like a bullet.

Here's the way one guy did it back in '99. <u>IT'S STILL NOT SAFE !</u>
190085.jpg

Tony Henrie
wow (Steering box question. I destroyed my adjustment plug while trying to remove it, so I ordered a replacement (from our esteemed sponsor - CC). It's a very nicely machined aluminum part, which has a bearing race machined into it for the lower steering gear bearing. However, I'm a bit skeptical that an aluminum bearing race will last long with steel ball bearings, and I'm wondering whether I should take it to a machine shop and have it cut to fit a steel bearing cup. Any experience, wisdom, or advice?)
When you get a rebuild kit,a complete kit you will have 2 steel races and 2 plastic cages for the balls. The balls fit into the plastic cages and run on the steel races to and bottom. I think you should got to parts look up or the faq and see how to rebuild the steering box.Good luck

Charlie that 1450 will have to have some guests on the front spindles if you plan to make a loader tractor out of it. Unless its just for show and not for working.

Ken

What a day i`am having today.the missing disk in my neck has picked now to give me an issue.Can`t even lift my right arm up with out a blast of pain. I`am having to use my left arm cause
coffee.gif
I can`t lift the cup with my right arm.Might have to see the doctor this time.

I'd suggest building a strong wooden box just long enough for the drive shaft to fit into and just wide enough for the clutch to fit. Make the sides at least half again as tall as the clutch diameter. That way it can't get away from you and the end of the box will catch the parts. Might be a good idea to have a cross piece at the back end and just behind the clutch to keep it in.

ken, I thats one way i definatley wouldnt do it. Its only being held about 1" on each corner...im not that brave

Back