• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 28, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom: Cadets were shipped with wheels off and in a cardboard box with wood frame in 1967 thru 1974

Plow day totals

87 participants
70 Plowing,
4 Selling,
and 10 Spectators
63 John Deere tractors,
70 Cub Cadet tractors,
7 Other tractors

Ryan W: The Model 60 blade and blower mounting brackets go through the fiberglass body, not up against it. The brackets actually go through the fiberglass (ya gotta drill holes) and bolt to the frame. Those black thingys are rubber grommets to prevent damage to the fiberglass.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom}

I'm very happy to hear about the k-series!
Hopefully my stubborness will go away so I can enjoy the cherry-picker my buddy got. It's never too early(or late) to have a cold one. It helps with all-night tractor parties!
wink.gif

I'm happy about the engine info Charlie. Your just taunting me with pics now ain't ya!
err.gif

Is it April 14 yet?!

Ryan - On some broke studs you can place a nut over it and shoot down through the hole with a MIG and after it cools the heat (most times) will have expanded it enough to loosen it and the welded nut will allow you to use a wrench on it again.

Kraig - you mean National Geographic had ads ? I only looked at the ... oh, wrong pictures ;)

Charlie: You got all the good toys (Lift) also!!

Jim T. & Matt: I am not an argumentive type person always believed a person does what he wants too. But, just this very morning was at my favorite Cub dealer and we were talking about the anti shatter spring. He said he put 3(one on each pin) one time and could hardly push the clutch in. Maybe he is a wuss but he said he has always had good luck with just one. As for my clutch Brian Miller built mine and with aluminium I am not even planning on using one.

Just Pops 2 cents. LOL

Pops

My anti rattle springs are still in the box. I didn't want to get them dirty ;)

The anti-rattle springs on the transmission clutch are the only ones I use....but You want to put them on the pins BEFORE You slide the clutch friction plate over the springs with the ends of the spring facing toward the end of the pins. If You don't centrifugal force bends the ends outward and they fly off. I even had one on the 72 come up "MIA" installed that way.... I put a spring on all three pins. But then if You lose one it's still O-K. The clips for the PTO clutch I don't use....the clutch driver on the 72 is soooo loose and worn they won't stay in anyhow.....so I keep them clean like Ken does.
Also... Great news on the K-series parts....Nothing worse than coming home empty handed because of "NLA" parts.

I was unpacking some more stuff this afternoon and finally got to my Cub Cadet stuff. Digging through, I found a couple cool old pictures. This one is appropriate with Plow Day right around the corner. A while back you guys were talking about front end weight while plowing. I still remember that on this day Charlie's 1450 lifted the front end out of the furrow several times, and kept right on going!

54037.jpg

I found out today that Farm & Fleet carries Kohler air and oil filters much cheaper than what CC sells them for. I got a new air filter for the M18 in my 582 for about $11, as opposed to more than twice that from a Cub Cadet dealer. They also had the filters for the single cylinder models too, except for the QL's.

Nick,
I was glad no one was round that day to take pics! LOL
No front weights and those freakin hard spots in your field played games with the ole 1450 that day.
We sure had a good time though!
beerchug.gif

Wow, I went to do some work for a couple hours and look what I started. Thanks for all the info Kraig, Myron, James, and Matt. Good info. You're right Kraig, I didn't refresh.

They shipped out of the factory in a box with the wheels off? You have to drill your own holes to add accessories?!? Priceless! I have to agree, how the heck could you even get any traction to blow snow? I guess the engine in the rear is suppost to be the weight? I'm not a very fit guy but I think even I would have to add a few extra pounds to get the traction needed.

If nothing else it'd be a fun little toy for my wife....then maybe I could have her cut the grass while I did more IMPORTANT things with my tractors (till the garden, move some mulch, go to a pulling competition or plowday...)

Tom H/James S,

IH shipped Cub Cadets with wheels and front axle off, setting on a wood frame and with a cardboard/wood box cover right up to the end of Louisville production in 1981. My #1 782 was built in the last two months of Louisville production and I remember uncrating it and putting it together. Seems like only yesterday.

I know the 6/7, 8/9, QL and 82 series all came this way from the factory as I uncrated and set up a number of them. I don't know how the Originals, 70/100, 2/3 and 4/5 were shipped as I was just a wee lad then and was more interested in crawling in the box with the Eska/Ertl 560 pedal tractor sitting on the shop floor.

I'm sure the crate that Navistar had made for the Original shown in Hank's pictures was designed for the fully assembled tractor.

Myron B.,
Going thru the body - Now that makes more sense to me! My old eyes couldn't determine that from the pictures. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
thumbsup.gif

Earl F.,
Thanks for the go ahead on the cool one,,,
thumbsup_old.gif

KENtuckyKEN,
Welding a nut onto a broken bolt/stud sounds like a good fix to me! Thanks for sharing the hint!
thumbsup.gif

Well,,,, I'm at another cross-roads, Fellas.
I've drained the hydro on the new-to-me 127 and now I'm shopping for new fluid.
My local auto parts store has 5-gallon pails of hydro fluid that claims it meets IH/Case MS-1209, HyTran Ultra and IH/Case B-6 specifications. It sells for $5.80/gallon. Whereas, the local IH dealer sells the real-deal name-brand IH/CASE HyTran Ultra for 8.99/gallon, bring your own 5-gallon pail!
yikes.gif

Yeah, it's only money - but HOLY MOLEY! What's a poor boy like me to do???
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

MATT - F&F also stocks the hard-to-find filter for the K-181's....same ID & OD as the K-161 but about 1/4" wider. Back in the old days they used to stock AC # CA-76 if I remember correctly which I think fit the K241/K341's. Thing I find hardest to find anymore is a decent sparkplug. I'd like to run an NGK, or a Bosch, Autolite, even a Champion...And in about that same order of preference. After checking the automotive section for a half hour I finally found Champions by the small engine dept.

Brent -

Many of the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadets required you (or the dealer) to drill holes to install accessories like lights, meters, etc, etc as well, so no use in knocking the "bathtubs" on that point
wink.gif

Mess? Think of what Charlie and I are gonna have to do to move all that off-topic stuff to the appropriate subtopic?
lol.gif

Kraig, Ron and others intrested in what I use to clean up the carbon on the piston and heads, here are some photos of the tools I use to do the job.
Steel brush
54049.jpg

54050.jpg

Brass wheel
54051.jpg

Brash brush
54052.jpg

Cordless drill
54053.jpg

Ryan.
Bite the bullet and get the real deal Hy-Tran you will not regret doing so.
That is what IH cub cadets call for and that is what <u>should</u> be used in the hydro and gear drive trannys.
jmho.

I am getting closer to completeing the work on my 100-gofast. Need to tweak the front spindles back to the correct angle, get it sand blasted and painted. Havent decided on the colors yet, either red & white or yellow & white.
54059.jpg

54060.jpg

54061.jpg

54062.jpg

Back