• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 19, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been here going on 11 years and never had water fill the road ditch, up in the parking lot and start running north to get way!
It's over 4 ft. deep down by the road, Grrrrrr
325031.jpg

Charlie,

Do you have a water pump on a cub?
a_blink2.gif

Hopefully you won't have to leave anytime soon.

We had some water problems in my area with closed roads for a day or two,a school cancellation and some water in basements of homes and businesses. Thankfully none in mine. Hopefully that water recedes soon.

Your roadway looks like mine did, the rain and snow melt just helped create a muddy mess. I actually liked it more when it froze solid. 8-(

Spring in NM is when the 100 does most of its work for the year. The late-winter and spring winds come from the West, depositing sand at the gates in the background. Sometimes the pile can be up to 2' high if I let it go long enough.
Yesterday was the first significant amount of exercise the 100 received since its refresh late last year. It took about 4 hours to put the sand back where it belongs.
325033.jpg

Things I noticed after all the repairs and upgrades to the 100.
1. How much more enjoyable it is to drive with the rebuilt steering and heim joints.
2. Taking time to remove as much slop as possible from the 3 point lift system was well worth the extra effort, especially with the limited travel of the rear blade.
3. Replacing the ancient 30w oil in the transmission with Hytran seems like a mixed bag. It slips out of 2nd gear now under heavy use, which it didn't do before. Hytran may not be the cause, but I didn't do anything else to the transmission. It does go into gear much easier now which is extremely nice for the non-hydro gear changing nature of grading work.
4. I need to rebuild a portion of the K241 (rings, valves, not sure yet). It is burning some oil. I smell like Midland, TX after 30 minutes of seat time.

I'm going to start digging through old forum entries to see if I can stiffen up some springs or something to keep my freshly-lubricated transmission in 2nd gear where it belongs. There must be something that can be done.

Don-

That issue with the transmission could be a couple of different things. First and probably most likely is wear in the gears, which you can't really do anything about. You also might have a bent shift fork keeping it from going all the way into gear properly.

If I remember right, stronger detent springs are available, which may also help.

Thanks Matt! Worn gears were my fear. The forks looked good last year. I seem to remember trying to research the same problem for my parents' 70 several years ago and hitting a dead end. They added a rubber strap to theirs finally to hold the shifter in 2nd.
I see you are in Wichita. I grew up in rural Clearwater a long time ago. My first job after HS while attending CCCC in Mulvane was as a mechanic at O'Dell and Son Equipment in Wichita.
My 100 (and my parents' 70) was rescued from the boneyard there.
I miss the crazy thunderstorms in Wichita.

Don,
wave.gif

Charlie, no and no. That little buzz saw looks interesting. On second thought I may have seen the buzz saw in a UK Cub Cadet brochure. I will have to check next time I have my PC booted up. Which will be tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Back