• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 10, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne,
No. It's a Brinly part. You will need the upper and lower links of the 3 point.

Bubba',
No, but almost.

Thanks Frank for getting picky. My two finger typing some times gets all the letters as$backwards lol.

I thought I would use the 149 with the tiller because it all ready has the hyd lift.The tiller is complete I`am told .I do have a few spare gear boxes. I think the gear box for a snow blower is the same used on a tiller. The tiller I have here the mounting bracket and everything is apart and would need to be put back together. I will do that soon as we have all this snow gone. I need to use my one blower that is complete to see how to rig the second.

? IS the tiller belt for a 147 the same belt for my 149 ?? I don`t think there is any difference in length of there frames only width. I hope I`am correct . I would like to use the belts that I have. If the belt won`t work the the 147 will get a ported hydo and a hyd lift install for the tiller. I want to install the tiller on a tractor and leave it installed. you guys know ! you need a tractor for every attachment you have lol.

Thanks to Charlie
bash.gif
: I think he answered my will it work question on the belts on the tiller.

147=Tiller Belt for Narrow Frame Tractors 13/32" X 141.8" PN / IH-487045-R2

149 = Tiller Belt for Wide Frame Tractors 13/32" X 143.8" PN/ IH-549250-R1

Looks to me like I will have to leave the tiller on the 125 or move it over to the 147 and use the same belt. Oh that will be so much work . the 125 and 147 are strong arm lift now.
bash.gif

Tom-

That is correct. When using the Brinly sleeve hitch one needs all of the 3pt system. We're talking about the mounting of a tiller here. The lower bracket of the 3pt isn't used...just the upper casting or lift. The sleeve hitch isn't used either. The right angle gearbox bracket has the attachment points for the tiller and the lift requires the 1" dowel with the vertical hole.

I've heard the 3pt lift being referred to as the sleeve hitch several times which it isn't. I don't understand the confusion but it happens. If we're gonna be picky about 100 point refurbs (which I'm not) shouldn't we be picky about the proper terminology (which I try to be)? I was just trying to make a point before. Maybe it's just me.

Don-

I'd go ahead and set the 149 up with the tiller. You won't regret it. That hydraulic lift makes all the difference in the world. You might look for a spring assist for it as well to help the hydraulics. Have you looked into the solid steel mule drive pulleys yet? They are mentioned in the manual. I got lucky with mine and found one on cl. The seller shipped it to my door for around $40...mule drive, solid steel pulleys and all. I've heard the stamped pulleys will work but just not last as long. The solid steel pulleys have replaceable bearings too. Also, there's a bracket that attaches to the pump underneath that helps protect lines, etc. from the belt. The 125 may have it if it was used to till.

Art

Seems like the 169 cubs are coming out everywhere lately.I bet that tractor will work nice with a tiller mounted.I think I see a window in the grill
1a_scratchhead.gif
; Is there a section missing ?

Wayne

I have not made up my mind completely as to what tractor the tiller will stay on.I think it might stay on the 125 till next winter and then move it to the 147. I have all the parts to change the 147 over to hyd lift and I do have a NF spring assist also.I know the 147 engine still has balance gears that need to come out.
Will I have a traction problem with just turf tires ? should I add two IH weights to each wheel and chains ?
I have people after me to do there gardens and I would love the seat time !Here is the 125 that the guys wants me to have .He says it runs good.

255275.jpg

Question on these balance gears: Will you notice any difference in the way, vibration wise, that the engine runs when you remove them?

BTW, the 73 clutch problem is solved. Removed the tiny wire snap ring in the bearing so it would slide back on the C/S further.
Thanks to all for the input and concern on this matter!!

I'm probably gonna have another "look what followed me home day" soon as the weather is decent!

Dave S

David -

I can tell you that the 147 engine is smother running than my 149 engine that has no balance gears.the 147 seems to sound different also . The 147 starts with no smoke and uses no oil and is a strong runner; so I don`t want to take the chance of the gears blowing a hole in the block.

DON - Turf tires without chains are fine for pulling a tiller. You don't need extra weight either, in fact, I think you want the tractor/tiller as light as possible.

Tom/Wayne,

I was referring to the IH Lift Hitch attachment for a wide frame with regard to Don T's question about mounting the tiller on his 149 and is required for lifting a tiller. According to the parts look up it is called a "three point hitch & drawbar." I refrained from using that term so as not to confuse it with the the Cat 0 three point hitches that some of our sponsors now have availabe. I've seen the standard three point hitch also referred to as a sleeve hitch on here on the forum some in the past so I used that. Clearly it is not the Brinly sleeve hitch adaptor for plows, disc, cultivators, etc. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Don, Yer probably gonna need weight on the front at least if you are pulling up hill at all when you lift the tiller out of the ground.

I made up a decicated combo weight box/tiller mule drive for my 1650 when using the tiller and swap it to the GD tractor when plowing.

255283.jpg

255284.jpg

Dave S.

David-
I might have to use that idea.I have lots of rear wheel weights ; but nothing for the front of a tractor. I think I got a piece of steel mesh here that would work.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Since I'm the only one posting today, LOL
I had a couple guys wanting double disk PTO's, so I dug a few out and found this one.
The other 3 were perfectly painted!
I thought I would show you what real paint runs look like on a NOS PTO, that was just opened up to take a pic.
255297.jpg

255298.jpg

255299.jpg

Dale-

I'd like to see some pics of the lower bracket of a standard 3pt hitch used with the tiller set up. I don't see how you could even get it on with the right angle gearbox bracket there. The four attaching points of the tiller attach to this bracket. I'm assuming you're saying the lower bracket, that attaches with three bolts behind the drawbar is to be used with the gearbox bracket? I'll check my manuals but I feel like I'm peeing in the wind because I don't see how it can be used in conjunction with the gearbox bracket. I just went and looked at my #1 set up on the 1650 and there's no lower bracket in sight.

Maybe we're doing the Cool Hand Luke thing, "what we have here is a failure to communicate".

Dale-

I stand corrected. I read the manual and the lower bracket IS used in conjunction with the gearbox bracket. I will admit I've never read the instructions but I see where it mounts over the gearbox bracket. Obviously it's missing on my current set up but it will go back on when I do some much needed work on the 1650 this spring.

Thanks for the heads up. I never stop learning.

David,
That's a nice weight box mule drive combo.

I have a few carbs to rebuild and does anyone know what size is the little brass screws are?

Charlie - gol dang it. I had convinced ole Donnie T he needed to dis-assemble his and paint it up. Now he's gonna see all he needs to do is dunk it in a can a paint, then sorta shake it off some so it ain't to think, then set it down so it self levels - and he'll be good to go in about 2 days. I see ya got double disks and double springs. And don't let Kraig see those pics - I don't want him to know they have Philips head special screws.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back