• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny W., intake valve seal, try part number: "KH-52-032-13" it's listed for 782s with S/N 726124 and below.

Kenny, do you by chance have the spec number for that KT17?

Since the Serie I / Series II discussion started . . . .
Is one wheel in the furrow and one on land enough of an angle of extended running that would cause harm and cause the dreaded "Series I ka-chunk"???

Wyatt,

I will have to look at the manual tonight, but it has across section that shows the oil intake. I would like to know this too, as I would like to plow with Stinky. From what I hear it is also a kind of hit and miss on which engines will let go. I hope that changine to Mobile 1 will help. Maybe I should try Slick 50
wink.gif

(Message edited by till on March 04, 2004)

Kraig, Don't know if you have seen any foreign advertising for the International Cub Cadet but I came across these the other day.
your_image.gif

your_image.gif

and these
your_image.gif

your_image.gif

and this as well
your_image.gif

your_image.gif

If they are of interest to you I can email full size scans but there are 24 pages altogether and they are about 2 megs each

I am new to this forum. However, I have been around and used a Cub Cadet my entire life. I own an Original 1961 Cub Cadet tractor. I am looking for information on an attachment I found. Can anyone tell me if an IH shredder/chipper attachemnt will work with an Original model Cub Cadet?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Nevius
Richmond, VA
[email protected]

OK lets try that again.
Kraig, Don't know if you have seen any foreign advertising for the International Cub Cadet but I came across these the other day.
16430.jpg

16431.jpg

and these
16432.jpg

16433.jpg

and this as well
16434.jpg

16435.jpg

If they are of interest to you I can email full size scans but there are 24 pages altogether and they are about 2 megs each

Kraig,

The KT17 is actually in a buddies' Green machine. From reading the manual, I believe that the seals were only on late KT's, and only on the intake valve guide. He was complaining of oil seepage on the intake guide, I suggested replacing the guide and ream for the proper fit to the valve. Gets into the "you might as wells" like a valve job, etc. Kenny

HI GUYS; I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM SO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM I AM EXPERIENCING. I HAVE A 125 CUB CADET WITH A 12hp K301 WHICH I RECENTLY REBUILT. I BORED IT TO A 14hp K321 TO TRUE UP THE CYLINDER. NOW THE STARTER\GENERATOR DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH GUTS TO TURN IT OVER TO START IT MOST OF THE TIME. IF YOU KEEP PLAYING WITH IT YOU CAN GET IT TO START. IT SEEMS LIKE IT HAS TO MUCH COMPRESSION FOR IT TO SPIN IT OVER LIKE IT SHOULD. MAYBE THE STARTER ISN'T DESIGNED FOR A 14hp ENGINE? I HAVE TRIED A DIFFERENT STARTER,NEW BATTERY,CHECKED ALL THE ENGINE AND BATTERY GROUNDS. THIS ENGINE DOESN'T HAVE ONE OF THE "ACR" COMPRESSION RELEASES. ANY IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE--JERRY

Got the heads back on the 1872 last night. I think this must have had a blown head gasket from the time I got it. It has always had a hard time starting..starter kicks out lots.

I set the inital torque, turned the key and it fired on the first stroke. It really surprised me! Let it run for about 5 minutes, retorqued while hot, and fired it up again. Reset the idle and adjusted mixture. Sounds really good now.

Will have to try moving some gravel etc to see if it has better power under load now.

Travis-
I found a Kubota V1505-T Factory Turbo - 37HP @ 3000RPM. You could have some running for the baddest diesel some day down the road.
happy.gif

Bryan N-
<font size="-2">as if one Bryan isn't enough..</font>
happy.gif

Welcome to the forum! What's the serial number on your 1961?

Robin-
Did you get that brochure off epay? I'd seen the auction, but missed it's ending.

Art-
No not on the dreaded epay. Got them from a steam and tractor rally couple of years ago and I'd forgotten about them, cost the enormous sum of £9 the lot in excellent condition.(not a for sale add Bryan)
Looking through them its amazing how many UK companies made attachments for the cubs considering how few there were in use over here.
Sadly none of them are made any more.

Welcome Jerry!

first, turn off your CAPS as the elders here don't like to be shouted at
lol.gif

as for your problem, it sounds like your ACR (automatic compression release) is not functioning. some one here will probably chime in w/ the answer, or you can order a manual from one of our sponsors at the top of this page...

Robin, I would definitely like to get the high resolution versions. However my slow dialup wouldn't handle them, so I'll email you with a different email address to send them to. THANKS!!!!

Kenny, OK, I looked at the 782 and the more recent KT17 did not have the seals only the older version.

Those reel mowers really spit out the grass clippings! Looks to me like the art dept got carried away with the photo touch ups.

Hey Scott, Hey Jerry!

Scott- Jerry's shouting must'a hurt your ears- he did say that his 301+ did NOT have the ACR...

Jerry- Without ACR, you'll need a pony-motor to roll that bugger over. Fit a starter from a small-block V8 to it, and hang a Group 27 battery behind the rear axle... it'll turn over.

The way I understand it (and I don't understand much) is that NON-ACR engines had some sort of a mechanical spark-advance... or possibly better described as a 'retard' device, so that the plug didn't fire until sometime AFTER TDC. In my opinion, belt-drive Kohlers didn't roll over very well even with a worn-out K241 with ACR and and lots of timing retard. It may be, however, that the primary Cub technician here is suffer from a serious case of spark-retard, too...

Kraig-
BTDT at senior school when I was 14/15 in the late 50's we used to mow the cricket pitch with a Ferguson 20 and a 5 gang mower in 4th gear (about 14 mph), really used to make the clippings fly.

Of course there was no safety consideration then and no guarding of any sort on the reels.

Incidentally there is a different kind of hitch and plough for the cub cadet in the attachments brochure.

Dave,
that's why you guys are the experts... i was hoping someone would chime in...

down aways in the posts is the link for the kohler engine site, which i beleive you can down load a manual...

they do offer a gear starter for a 12, although you have to have the correct flywheel... would a momentart switch to diable the spark be useful to get it cranking first before firing be useful? (if the retard system is not there)

Hi Scott!

Well, I'M not an expert, by any means...

The later K-series were available with ring-gear start... my loader-mutt project has a K301 with ring-gear start, and I believe a belt-start can be converted if one has the correct ring-gear type flywheel, flywheel shroud, and the cast-aluminum plate that closes off the block-side of the shroud... of course, you'll also need the starter, and perhaps do some wiring modifications. In order to charge the battery, you'll either need to fit the engine with a stator (which will match the flywheel) and a rectifier/regulator module and some more wiring modifications... or... if you're not concerned about looks, you could always slap an automotive alternator with internal reg where your starter-gen USED to be, but you'll need to alter it's mounting bracket position, 'cause the ring-gear starter mounts to the same bolts as the old Delco starter-generator.

I'm not sure how well the ring-gear starter will tolerate the lack of ACR- my K301 has both ACR and ring-gear start.

As for cutting out the ignition, well, it might provide a lungful of rich fuel (with choke out), but not much else... perhaps even some unwanted flooding. If I were in your shoes, I'd research the mechanical spark-advance stuff and see how hard that is to accomplish.

But do note- the well-worn K241 in my 109 is pretty leisurely about rolling over, and since I've been using the 109 to push snow, I've found that it's downright stubborn at any temp below 20F. I had a few days where getting it to fire at -18F seemed like an impossible task, so I made a bracket to hold one of my boat batteries to the transaxle... and some 2' long jumpers. The added oohmpf doesn't make it crank a whole lot quicker, but it will crank longer... usually long enough for me to get it to wake up using any number of silly gearhead tricks.

Latest posts

Back