• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Kamp -

Checking the parts books, they say that the wide frame engines are mounted with four 1" long bolts.

Sounds like someone replaced one bolt with whatever they had lying around.

You might consider picking up a few manuals, it's amazing how many questions they can answer
wink.gif

Hi, guys,
I have an engine question about 782s. It has a KT17 in it, and I seem to recall reading that there are 2 versions of this engine, a Series I and a Series II. What are the differences, how can you tell them apart, and is the Series I such a dog that it should be avoided at all costs?
Thanks for any input!
km

The early kt17 engine only delivered oil to the main bearings and cam bearings at 5psi and sprayed the rods from holes in the cam.

The series II KT17 has a full pressure oiling system that supplies oil under pressure to the main,rod and cam bearings at 25-50 psi. IMO the Series II was a good engine.

If you want to go another step up the Magnum18(same bore and stroke) has a few more improvements such as solid state ingnition and alot of torque.

Kent

Kenny
To tell them apart the Series II will have a Series II sticker on the blower housing and the air cleaner or you can look at the spec#. A series II will be spec# 24300 and higher.

A series I will be spec# 24299 and lower.

Just saw this and had to share, I'd never seen Tuffy before.
16425.jpg

(Message edited by cProctor on March 03, 2004)

Given the differences in the Series I and Series II, should I avoid buying a tractor with a Series I in it? Owner says it uses a little oil but doesn't smoke.

I smell a
poof.gif
comming!

I don't know why "Tuffy" is smilin', he's under a manure bucket.
uhoh.gif

(Message edited by thoffman on March 03, 2004)

(Message edited by thoffman on March 03, 2004)

Just back in from a long day.....

Big Steve had his right kidney(and the tumor/growth attached to it) removed this afternoon. All is well, and the surgery went as expected, but he'll be out of action for 6-8 weeks and in the hospital until Sunday or Monday. The whole deal came about pretty quickly the end of last week, started with a bad fever Sat. night and some UT issues, by Monday they had it pinned down and surgery scheduled for Wed.

When I left the hospital at 8:30 this evening he was pretty loaded up on pain meds, but not too loopy to say "Man, I'd like a big Diet Coke right now"......for those of you who know Big Steve it's a sure sign that he's doing fine!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi Bryan! Thanks for the tip. You wrote:
>You might consider picking up a few manuals, it's amazing how many questions they can answer

Yeah, but the real problem is... WHICH manuals? I've got a 1000 frame, with a 1250 engine and cradle, a 1650 transaxle driven by a 149 pump, with 149 lift and pedestal, and a 129 axle...

I've got the K-series engine manuals, but they don't mention the fixing-bolt length... either that, or I don't see it... (I could be lookin' right at it, though... I've got a big nose!)

Mr. Plow - Good to hear that your dad is doing good after surgery. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Dave-
You've got me laughing because I thought I was the only one who taped paper over the flash to keep the glare down.

Here's the manual you need (as listed on Binder's website above):
#CSV-1464 & 1465-1 International Cub Cadet Models 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450, & 1650, 2 Manual Set For Tractor & Engine.
Covers every part you mentioned!

Steve-
Sorry to hear about Big Steve, but glad things are OK. Guess I didn't realize how honored I should have been when he offered me a diet coke at PD6!
happy.gif
Tell him we're thinking of him...

Kent, thanks for the KT17 response! I go to check it out tomorrow, I'll know more about it then. At least I know some things to check that I wouldn't have before, thanks much.

Dave Kamp -

I see Art told you which manual, but...

We give manual suggestions in the FAQ. That's why we suggest folks read the FAQ first
wink.gif

Anyone have the Kohler number for an intake valve seal for a KT17? Thanks, Kenny

Steve,
Glad to hear Big Steve is doing well. Keep us posted.

Kenny, I have a KT-17 series I and it is a fine running engine. The issue with them is if you run them on an angle. With the lower pressure oiling system, they have a tendancy to score up and than lock up. If your a flat lander you should be OK. Try and find out how the tractor has spent its life. Straight and level or on the slant. Then you can guess how to go from there.

Steve- Best wishes for your dad's speedy recovery.

Was looking through some PC (that's pre-cub) photos that my wife took of me and my dad shovelling out his place after a huge snowstorm about 10-11 years ago. Something yellow in one of the pic's background caught my eye. Turns out my dad's ex-neighbor was effortlessly plowing his driveway with a very nice condition 125! Now where did we put that forwarding address. . .?

Tom, oh, duh on my part. :eek:)

Steve B., sorry to hear that Big Steve had some health issues but it's certainly good to hear that that he's is doing well now. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Worm note...

I received an e-mail yesterday that LOOKED like it came from the ihcubcadet.com e-mail server, but it appears to have actually come from Binder Books???

Anyway, one of the techie mailing lists that I subscribe to describes the worm as follows:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

There's a malicious worm being spread right now; it masquerades as a message from an isp--- verizon, aol,and others; even from me ("Dear user of Langa.com gateway e-mail server,..." or something similar).

The email usually contains a password-protected Zip file, with instructions on how to open it.

DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!It's not really from me--- or Verizon, or AOL, or whomever. Those "From" addresses and other headers are faked, but very convincingly: the worm is quite clever.

But the file is a trojan designed to infect your system. The worm-writers placed the file in a password-protected file to try to hide from some anti-virus tools.

<font color="ff0000">Don't be fooled: JUST DELETE THE FILE AND THE EMAIL.</font><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Digger,

If you found it there, let me know, I'm looking at the Kohler manual and the part number is not listed anywhere, I figured someone with a Super Garden Parts book could help, I only have TC-113 and TC-157. Kenny

Back