• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 03, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of green.......Exactly what did you have for breakfast today McConaughey?

<font size="-2">Me thinks somebody had too much sugar on their Kaptian Unda'pants cereal this morning...</font>

Dennis- I'm not sure which SS materials spec it fits under... I just got it from the 'expensive' bin at the hardware store... but it's definately not flimsy stuff... 304 cuts much easier than this bolt did, and as you can probably tell by the pictures, it didn't cut in any big hurry. My 90ksi WAG was based on comparing it to other stuff that I'd turned. My little Atlas 9 is all belt-reduction, so if it's really hard, it starts complaining. Normally, I wouldn't select stainless, but I wanted the fit so tight that any corrosion would end up keeping the pin from being removable.

Upon contemplating other's comments regarding breaking the pins, I'd think that the majority of pin-breakage is much more likely in a gear-drive application than on my hydro... wrapping up the K and dumping the clutch with lots of wheel-weight, or having a wheel spin, then hook up suddenly would definately punish driveline. Under those circumstances, either a guys' goin' for broke (and damn the torpedos), or you'd rather have something cheap-and-easy let go, than sporting a driveshaft-necktie. But if anyone's really concerned about the loss of an SS-pin vs. the spiral-wrap pin, just drill through the whole U-joint 90-degrees from the set-screw hole, drive in a pin, and call it done.

I think Wyatt asked wether my pins go through and land against the shaft... when I cut the pin, I do it with a curved-face bit, so at the end of the pin, just before the threads start, there's a little radius. When the pin is buried, that radius IS against the shaft. Between that, and the pin fitting tight through the shaft, and into the yoke on the other side, it's definately down tight. With the yoke having about 3x the 'grab' length on the shaft, well, it's not going anywhere.

Yet another note- I suspect that one of the stresses that the spiral-pin is under... is the result of lean and twist that the rag-joint is trying to accomodate. Note that when you run the rag-joint off centerline, it'll allow a crooked-run, but it doesn't do it without putting some stress on the rag-joint yoke, and therefore, the pin. In this U-joint, you can swing it any-which-way, and there'll be no substantial stress put on the pin. Perhaps that's the reason why I haven't broken any pins yet? I dunno.

On another note... let's say you're interested in making some serious meat for your driveline... you can order the same series U-joint yoke with a 5/8 bore on one side, and anything-up-to-obscene size on the other end. If you want to use a 1", or 1.5" shaft... just order the right yoke. They're nice, workable cast steel, so you can weld to 'em if you want.

Capt'n Kirk- I put the cover back on, and set it in the frame last night, but seein's how I had three (1")short-bolts and one long (1.25")bolt, and not sure which-went-where, I didn't bolt it down. Tonight (late) I'll heft it back up out of there, pop the cover off, and see if I can see anything more. Wasn't easy getting that picture, and for some silly reason, my (two) eyes can see that gear so much better than my (one) camera lense. Let's hear it for binocular depth-perception! :-D Other than the gear bein' sloppy, I could flip the weights and spin the gov-shaft, and they'd react to eachother alright... didn't see any obvious cracks, missing chunks, or anything like that... but I really appreciate your response!

Kraig,

When the truck is done filling your garage with green, send it my way. Big hit from the furnace repair man last night at 10:30.
sad.gif

Tedd, first I have to get the truck to show up at my place and talk them into filling the garage. Bummer about the furnace repairs, that can't be helpful to the Cub fund.

Dave K2, ever hear of Hydro Harry? He used to post these looong posts, you been giving him a good run for the money as of late. I'm sure enjoying all the posts and I'm learning to boot! :eek:)

>Dave K2, ever hear of Hydro Harry?

--No.

>He used to post these looong posts, you been giving him a good run for the money as of late.

--Good.

>I'm sure enjoying all the posts and I'm learning to boot! :eek:)

--Great! :-}

Kraig-
I can understand that you had "Nut Cheerios" for breakfast, but lets refrain from calling me "Art honey" ever again, OK?
happy.gif

Dave-
By the looks of it, you must have a fairly decent camera as your pictures are usually pretty clear and sharp. If you try taking another picture of that gov. gear, shine a flashlight up in there as you shoot the picture to light up that cam gear so we can all see it. As long as you don't get lots of light splashing down onto the outside of the block, you can usually trick the camera into "business as usual" and you'll get the detail you're looking for.

DAVE - Most hardware store SS fasteners are 18-8 or 304. Stuff is tough to machine for sure. And has almost the same mech. properties as a Grd. #5 bolt.
The uneven power impulses of a 1-cyl. engine hammer those roll pins really bad, Especially the rear one on a gear drive where a single pin transmits all engine power. Thats the one I sheared at the PD. A hydro really softens the the blow.
The U-joints You installed are similar to what Boelens and that other company,,,,, Makes green stuff....Up around Horicon, WI. used to do for driveshafts.
I do like the idea of a Welded driveline, And something larger OD. It'd last longer, and as You say, when pushed beyond the limit would cause the next weakest component thats MUCH more costly to fail. The Pullers have good luck with the spirol pins and a 4140 CR Pre-hard driveshaft. I was going to try STRESSPROOF but changed My mind.
Keep up the INNOVATIVE WORK!

DOH!!!
member that completed re-furb of a qa42 i did? well i just noticed this
16413.jpg

i think a chunk of ice took flight... time to get out the BFH...

Put the 1872 up on the lift last night and pulled the heads...both head gaskets were blown.

The right cylinder had 3 bolts that were hand loose. Gasket was scorched around 4 bolts. Left was blown around 2 bolts.

Should run a LOT better when I get it back together.

Hi Art! The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 770- it's alright, but it ain't no Pentax K-series. To get the shots I posted, I was doing exactly what you suggested. Kinda hard to get a good line with the light, at the same time I'm tryin' to get a good line with the camera. To cut down glare, I tape a piece of 20-lb bond paper over the flash- light still comes through, but it's well diffused. I'm a decent photographer when I'm holding the workpiece in my hand... and better-yet when I can use both hands to take the picture.

Hi Dennis! I agree with 'ya 100% on the thumper-pounding. I doubt I'll ever get that condition with either my 109 or the loader-mutt.
The NEXT project, however, might be a candidate for full-welded 1.25" driveline and NO pins.

I've got a 149 rolling chassis out back, and a (extremely conservatively rated, probably after transmission and prop) 18hp Volvo-Penta 2-cyl diesel that's been liberated from a 42' sailboat. This booger weighs 250lbs dry, has a 60lb flywheel at EACH end, and although you can fire it up with just a flip-of-the-hand, it kicks like a mule. I think it's got around 55ft-lbs of torque starting about 100rpm BELOW idle, and it's good to 3500rpm. Pretty rough running 'till it gets over 1000, then it smooths out nicely. I'll hafta streeetch this 149 frame, and beef it a little, to make that powerplant fit... come up with a radiator and exhaust system that'll survive the environment, and when it's all done, I'm not exactly sure what I'll use it for, but I imagine it'll probably pull stuff okay. Keith's tryin' to get me to turn it into a plower... mebbie I should just go-for-broke and put tracks and a cab on it?

I have seen a few decks on the old cubs with gage wheels on the front and back. What models had these or was it added by the owners.

Can anybody tell me where I can get an 0.020" ring set for a 14hp. Ordered some locally and they said they were no longer available.

Have to buy piston w/rings.

Looked at sponsors site above and did not see any.

Need them for the 14 +.020 that was supposed to be a 12hp.

Frank M. -

Don't know which sponsor's site you visited, but C&G has 'em listed.

Phillip V. -

Those would be 44" and 50" decks that have had the front guage wheel kit installed in place of the front runners.

Phillip, FWIW, I have seen them on some of the older series Cast Iron 38" decks as well as on, can't remember the "official name" but just the center is cast iron with the roller on it, and the rest is stamped steel.

Jeff/Phillip -

While they may appear on older decks, they were not designed for them. Or they were homemade.

Latest posts

Back