• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KRAIG - I got the battery in the dig. camera charged but too cold in the shop this past weekend. I'll get a couple pic's headed Your way tomorrow AM.
I've got a bunch of other little projects to do out there...Hopefully We get some warm days soon. One job involves the carb on the Onan in the 982....Gasoline in the carb and My heater make for a BAD combination. But shouldn't effect picture taking.

Denny,
happy.gif
happy.gif
BTW, did you notice Jim C's query a few posts down, on a home built grass collection system? If I post photos of yours will you post the description?
dunno.gif

Allen, we did get ~6" late last week.

KRAIG - Sure. One thing I can tell Jim is about five ways NOT to build a collection system.
bash.gif

Denny, ummm, are you saying your first 5 attempts sucked?
dunno.gif
I thought that was the whole idea....
1a_scratchhead.gif
Anyhoo, here's the photos, describe away.
happy.gif

115463.jpg

115464.jpg

115465.jpg

115466.jpg

115467.jpg

115468.jpg

thats a neat set-up.my 72 came with a motor driven set-up ....it had a 5hp. briggs but only had a metal box instead of your trailer. was a copper color...sold it to help fund the 72 resto. those custom fenders are neat too. i also like Digger's crapsman set-up.....going to do the same for my 38" white tractor-mower. it has a 14hp. briggs vangaurd twin....giving me 4 tractors now!

KRAIG - I'm not sure "Sucked" is the right word. They ran, made noise, blew a lot of dust around....but the cart never got full of clippings or leaves.
The cart is pretty self-explanitory. The back door hinges from the top, but it would be safer hinged from the side. The top & sides just bolt onto My Agri-fab cart. It fills completely up too.
The top pic shows the semi-mounted vac unit attaches to the sleeve hitch mounts on My axle carriers but the lower mounts for IH's 3-point hitch would be fine also. The caster wheel pivots and swings the cart out when I turn so the cart runs exactly where the rear of the tractor runs, makes trimming around trees easy. The tubing to connect the mower deck to the blower and the blower to the cart is non-perforated 6" drainage tube. The engine there is a K161 from a 1961/'63 Cub Cadet Dad had, It's since been replaced with a K181, but either engine is WAY more than enough power. The engine normally runs just above an idle except when I get into real heavy conditions then I speed it up a bit. The battery ignition runs direct to the battery in the tractor, I pull-start the engine to start it. I put a manual PTO clutch from another CC on the engine to start/stop the blower. In the configuration shown there I almost lost My thumb five years ago trying to flip the belt off the drive pulleys to shut it down one night. Ouch!
The inside of the blower housing is 16" in dia. and 6" wide. The impeller is 15-1/2" dia, mounted on a 1" dia shaft, has four vanes or paddles, there's a 3/16" thk round disc on the side of the impeller away from the inlet to support the paddles. I was really concerned with the balance of the impeller but I paid a LOT of attention when I clamped things together before welding and it actually runs really smooth. Total fabrication time the first time around was about 2-3 months working most of Saturday and half of Sunday. I even made the pivoting wheel mount because I had to keep it so low.
There's ideas in that thing from both the $1000 Agri-Fab vac. and some ideas from a company called Trac-Vac that their units start around $1400. I've got around $350 in the steel for the cart&vac, bearings, tire & wheel, throttle cable, and a couple cans of spray paint, and the metal tubing (heat duct or chimney tubes) and plastic hose.
The vac makes a nice tight "Cube" in the cart, measures 32"W x 36"T x 42"L and can weigh 500-600# depending on moisture. I think it works every bit as good as the vac's I see on TV, only thing it won't pick up are wet leaves, and stuff that blows around outside the mower. I can normally fill the cart in 10-15 minutes with My 38" deck running the tractor in low gear. If I go much faster the pipe from the mower to the blower plugs up. I can cover My approx. 2 acres with 70-80 trees in about 10-12 hours which is Saturday & Sunday from about Noon till just after dark, mowing & dumping in the far corner of the yard for burning. I pulled a Parker lawn sweeper for many years before building this thing and actually it did a better job of picking things up but the small basket would fill up WAY too frequently and to get anything done required two tractors and a cart, the sweeper, and two people.
A former co-worker made a similar unit for His Bolens tractor from a salvaged 2-stage snow-blower. And plywood would work fine for the top & sides of the cart, but You do need some way for air to escape without taking all the clippings.
ANY questions Jim fire away or send Me an e-mail. There's several here that have the Trac-Vac's, or PECO vac's, even Ohio Steel Fabricators made a vac unit.

Denny, sorry , 'twas my poor attempt at humor...
blush.gif

Kraig & Dennis:
Thanks for the photos and write-up!! I'll take my time and look at them when I have a minute after work. What I'd really like to do is come up with something that doesn't need a big yard cart for collecting debris. I have a 100 x 150 lot and not much room in the garage to store things... I may have to ponder this one a while.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Dennis,

So what we really need is a Parker Lawn Sweeper mechanism with a vac hood, your vac motor, and the trailer.

Maybe the sweeper could be mid mounted below the tractor, or front mounted???
1a_scratchhead.gif

A front mounted sweeper would probably have to be PTO driven. I don't think Parker's wheels and clutches could be made to work without tearing up the yard.

Hey, didn't I see a street sweeper on here the other day? What are the possibilities???
whistling.gif

Dennis F I usually make a pass with mower first to shred the leaves down to size. Than I use my 882 w/ EZ Rake vacuum with #4 IH cart with custom top & sides. The hydro really makes lawn vaccing efficient & fun. Then later I run all clippings & leaves thru a shredder to make an excellent compost for the flower garden.

Latest posts

Back