Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Blown head gasket :(

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Orry Allison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Obiwan
So yup blown head gasket and melted head gotta get another one.

When I got the 124 I didn't check to make sure the bolts were at torque spec and didn't check that gasket so I can't say if it was the original gasket or if it was replaced or if it's my operating error but, after taking it off I did see some other sections on the gasket were it rusted pretty bad so maybe it was weak in that area and finally burned through. What caused it? I guess I'll never know now, which will bug me for life.

Any thoughts on what I need to look for and check before I put the new one on? I have the manual for the 12hp K301A so that's what I'm going off of now.

abthomas

IHCC Supporter
I'd make sure there are no high spots on the head and block, clean everything up good, torque to spec and recheck torque, run it for 10 minutes or so let it cool and retorque, then do it a third time ! Might seem a little anal but I've never lost a head gasket on a rebuild !

Ken Black

melted head? how is it melted?? photos would help on that one..
melted is darn hot .. marble or piece of glass. feller gauge it... .003 of a inch max out. sand paper does wonders to flatten them back out.. i do it all the time.. depending how far off they are from the max out of .003 of a inch.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Heat!
From running the carb too lean

Orry Allison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Obiwan
I would post a picture but, it says it can't open the file chooser. When I took the head bolts off it definitely didn't feel like I had to break torque on them. I didn't check that after I bought it.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I would post a picture but, it says it can't open the file chooser. When I took the head bolts off it definitely didn't feel like I had to break torque on them. I didn't check that after I bought it.
Orry, if it ran nobody would have checked torque on head bolts...don't beat yourself up on that one....

jkoenig

displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
Orry,
if you want a reason to kick yourself about not checking headbolts, try having a KT-17II twin with one head loose, opening it, peeking in, cleaning up, resealing it, getting it running, and not even thinking to look at the other head bolts! That is my sad story of focusing on one problem too closely, and missing the big picture.

Orry Allison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Obiwan
Thanks Gary. And Jim yeah that would be a day to kick the dog on. I guess that's why they say live and learn. There is lots to learn on these old girls but i feel they are easier and more fun to work on.

Ken Black

Thanks Gary. And Jim yeah that would be a day to kick the dog on. I guess that's why they say live and learn. There is lots to learn on these old girls but i feel they are easier and more fun to work on.
hahha he is done for lol .. hook line and sinker lol

if your unable to open the file thingy. turn popup blocker off if you have it or try a diff browser..

PACub100

Ya know, that's screwed up and definitely not something most people think about when looking at buying a new-to-me cub (or whatever for that matter).
Never know what PO might have been doing before they decide to sell their equipment. Especially if they say it ran years ago but now they can't get it running.
Definitely something to check quick before trying to fire it up for the first time...🤔

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Us "Ole Timers" that remember Reverend BOB and Kentucky KEN remember Bob torched the head (Yes, that's the technical term for blowing molten aluminum out of the head casting) A little trench right where the 1/4" bolt hole for attaching the cooling tin for the head on the "left side" of the engine as installed and sitting on the seat. The head was express mailed from the Great North-West, I forget which state Bob lived in, Montana maybe, to Kentucky Ken for repair. Two guesses where Ken lived, first one doesn't count. Ken TIG'd the torched area, surface ground the head to flatness and posted a picture and returned it. You run a Kohler hard enough long enough you will blow a head gasket. I believe a Kohler head gasket is a "Single Use gasket", meaning removing for cleaning carbon requires a new head gasket, and I've described a process of spraying water into a warm running engine that does an excellant job of removing carbon and many who didn't read the article in Hot Rod Magazine written by C. J. Baker refuse to believe works. Only Gerry Ide read the article and supported me.
Yes, best to keep head bolts tight. Check tightness in the order shown in the manual, gas tank removal may be needed.
I HATE Facebook, but I joined a Kohler Engine FB group, Those guys like working on them WAY more than I do, I try to rebuild them about every 30 years or so. It was hard finding parts for the K241 last time. I'm not looking forward to the next rebuild.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Denny, yep Rev lived in Montana. Here's the infamous photo where Rev blew his head gasket.

4376.jpg

Here's the actual head showing the torched area:

5972.jpg

Here's the head after KENtuckyKEN fixed it up:

5973.jpg

4532.jpg

Looks like KEN may have also converted it to an LP style head.

Latest posts