• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on all those newly acquired Cub Cadets. It's good to see them being rescued and going to good homes.

It's currently 84* and hot. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. I decided to take a break this afternoon from rearranging some tractors so that I can begin some fix up time with them. Gotta love air conditioning. If only the garage had it.

What i am working on now. I was going to just fix a few things but got into it allot more then i thought.

240188.jpg

Not to much more to do

Jeff B - nope, the 169 dash decal did "not" say Hydrostatic on it - just had the numbers 169. If I can attach a pic I will.
240191.jpg

Bill J - quick answer to your quick question - Nope, 44A and 50 A do not fit the narrow frame tractors. 1st issue is the mule drive pulleys are not angled so they wouldn't align with the center pulley on the deck.

Wayne and Donald:

Thank you so much for your suggestions. The engine is ready to be lifted out of the tractor. One of the issues that I really discovered last night when I doofed the tractor from the trailer, and verified once I had some sleep and looked at some things more objectively, is that the front axle is very loose, much more so than I had thought.

So there are several issues here. First, are the bushings and pin worn to cause this, or does the axle pivot bracket need tightening. I will need to determine the cause. I certainly hope it is the later. I can't handle the re-machining of the bushing and a new oversize axle pivot pin right now. It seems to me the engine should be placed back in the machine before I reassemble the front axle assembly. Is this a standard procedure, or am I moving in a bad direction?

I thought about the gear wrench last night as I was doing the painstaking tedious task or removing the bolts with a 9/16 combination wrench. I have been avoiding the purchase of more tools in as much as possible. I hope I can get through this.

The only things that should be green and yellow are the NDSU Bison.

BRIAN W. - Stangely enough, the cast iron frt axle wears the pivot pin out, but sometimes the bushings wear or get loose too. I'd actually do the work on the frt axle and the mounting channel with the engine out. I've done tractors both ways, sitting in the engine bay & laying underneath the tractor, and I prefer the former to the latter.

And any excuse to buy more tools you can use, maybe even NEED is a good enough excuse for me. I prefer the GearWrench brand, they are not reversable, you flip the wrench to reverse them. They seem to hold up really well, they are longer than my older cheap Craftsman combination wrenches, so more leverage for stubborn bolts/nuts, just be careful with them because they can be REAL Knuckle-Busters. You'll probably find the long & stubby style necessary. And they match my slightly newer Professional Series Craftsman wrenches real well.

DAN J. - NICE Dad's day present. Is that deck as clean on the bottom as it is on top? Almost looks brand new! Been so long since I saw one that nice I almost forgot what they looked like new.

BILL J. , HYDRO HARRY - We really should have someone investigate what it takes to put a 44" deck under a NF tractor. Back when I had a 44A under my 129 I played around with them & my 72 for an afternoon trying to get the 44A under the 72. It would take some modifications to the mule drive, and a special belt, but I think it would be a nice combination for a 12 or 14 HP NF tractor, GD or hydro.

Thing I liked the most about the 44A under the 129 was the fact it stuck out so far on the left side of the tractor, made trimming under trees a snap. Even the 982 & 50C doesn't stick out as far, and I had 23-10.50 tires on the back of the 129. Plus they pull easy, and Gator blades are available for them, and I think a 44A is lighter than a 38" deck, the steel is thinner.

Don T: Where's the archive bug?
Hey, Don, can you smell this and tell me what it is?
240195.jpg

I don't think it's ATF or TDH. 30W, maybe? Whatever it is, it's outa here. Just happen to have some new Minnesota filters and gasket.
240196.jpg

Hoping all youse guys Father's Day was as pleasant as mine.
happy.gif

For Marlin: (I'm gonna find that Archive Bug).
240199.jpg

She's gone from 3.25 to 5 lb. since 5-25. To keep on topic, she's on the newly painted Cubhouse floor.
happy.gif

Just bought the 1962 Original home from my Grandfathers. It turned over about a have revolution and fired right up. Hasn't been ran in over a year. That's a Kohler for ya!
happy.gif

240206.jpg

240207.jpg

240208.jpg

240209.jpg

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

That lube is so it could pass for 80/90 gear lube. Well at least it had some lube , I had one cub freeze up on me till I found it was mostly water . brown and milky and it took a few hrs in my shop with the heat on till I knew the rear end was not seized. funny when it moved all on it`s own made me smile. These cubs are tuff little tractors.
coffee.gif

My shop is bigger than yours but I have way less walking space lol.

Back