• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 16, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
BoB G P
I use a grease and wax remover and wipe dry,use what you want. heck buy a paint system from primer to finish coate, all the paint suppliers have a system that you can use. that all for old guys like me that buy for more than one reasone. the last Cub I painted I got a great finish ,but it chips easy.I will get it right soon I hope cause I will Have an O to paint that has to be as sharp to look at as Kraigs last paint job.

Bob, I used to own a body shop and I have been doing bodywork since the 70's (god I am old) But your paint job is only as good as the prep work. Do not take shortcuts. Before starting, wipe down with wax and grease remover and clean thoughly..sandblast all rust and sand smooth all existing paint and feathedge all paint edges. Take your time and you will be glad you did later.

stopped to check out a cub hiding behind a garage today but it was not my style I am a WF guy and this was a 70 with deck and snow blade

the guy wants a couple hundred if any one is interested where to find it email me and ill tell you (its in rockford il)

now on topic 3 acres to cut tomorrow on my 128 since it seems to have stopped raining for a couple of days.

Sorry, Ken, but some of us don't have them old timey VOM's. And you say a digital multimeter won't work to test a condenser?

Chip - Nope. It's just a flash of a needle swing , not enough time for even my certified calibrated digital to get a reading. You want to see if it held the voltage or if it's leaking off.

I guess you could use the digital , at least you'd know if any voltage stayed in.

BOB P. - We discussed IH's red casting sealer last winter. It looks like red oxide primer but is tougher I think. And it's not Glyptal.

Most of IH's castings were made at Lvl, also Memphis, Waukesha, Wi, Indy, seems like they had another foundry but it escapes me right now. FARMALL had a foundry until sometime in the late 50's or early 60's. ALL IH's castings were sealed. Trapped burned on sand, sealed porosity for gearboxes, and just made very nice looking assembles.

I'd hit the castings with a clean rotary wire brush to knock off loose paint, wipe down with grease & wax remover like Don says and paint. The textured cast finish holds paint VERY well.

Bob G P - Velvet Ride???? I'm sure glad my Velvet Elvis ain't made outta that stuff. And I guess that those old MH units didn't get used in the winter cause it certainly looks to me like from the shape of that thing, that you'd not only freeze your tookus, but also your jewels.

And by the way, I don't know why you're going to all that paint'n effort for an ole seat. Just spray it some cheap ole red stuff and be done with it. It's just gonna rub off when you sit on it anyway.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die - but they don't necessarily work well with off brand parts

Thanks Guys

The seat was on the 71 when I bought it. I knew it wasn't original but didn't know what I had. Until today, I was going to repaint it white because I don't have a 60's IH/CC seat and it fit the era. Now I will try to find a M&H owner/restorer that needs it. It's in great condition for a late 50's seat. I think they went to Massey Ferguson in the late 50's. I can't bring myself to slap white paint over this antique red seat.

One of you, warned me! This restoration is like a giant vacuum got a hold on my wallet!! I'm enjoying every minute of it though. Even when I'm cursing like a russian sailor

Where do you guys find washing soda? I've tried around the west side of Indy and can't find it. This would be for trying the electrolysis set up.

Bob P.,
I used mule team borax for my electrolysis. You can get this at about anywhere laundry detergent is sold.
bubbly.gif

I tried to find A & H, but could only find washing powder. I was told that isn't the same. I didn't know that borax and cascade are the same thing as washing soda. That really helps!

Bob P: Do yourself a favor and hit the SEARCH function for electrolysis:
192413.jpg

You ain't gonna believe what this system can do!
Jim Mac: Yes, those are mine. Craigslist, not Uncle Henry's. Not both, either one or the other.
KEN: Am I being good, now?
coffee.gif

Bob P, there is a topic in the machine shop on this... you need stuff with sodium carbonate in it...

Frank

I see the battery do you hook the charger to the battery then the tank. I read that gives a better result. I've read a lot though. Some good some bad.

Frank or anyone that has done this with success

Do you adhere to the low $ slow method or the fast & furious method?

Bob:
On most grocery store shelves in our area....
192416.jpg

I thought you guys could use some more pics. The wideframes are finished and the originals are next. I know Im going to have questions and Ill try to search the vault first but as soon as I type in original I'll get buried. I hope the pictures go thru alright.

192426.jpg

192427.jpg

192428.jpg

Latest posts

Back