• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 02, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave H, looks like your steering column bushing is shot. Same thing happened to my 126. Just check our sponsers above, they have them.

Dave H, yep, The bottom bearing is letting go in the steering gear. Not a big deal. Pull off the tie rod end on the steering housing the steering wheel, two bolts on the steering housing and slide it out the bottom. Clean it off and unscrew the bottom plug (might have a cotter key). The steering shaft comes out the bottom. Sponsors have the parts you need. good luck.

Melody, your not wrong the bushings gone but he says its backing out on him, thats a bearing.
happy.gif

Dave H.
I have the PERFECT solution to your problem!

DON'T turn the wheel or pull down on the steering wheel!!!!!
biggrin.gif

If I remember right as long as he just turns right it'll never back out.
happy.gif

The first answer wasnt really a complete answer.
once you get the houseing out take the two lock nuts off and slide that plate/bolt out of the houseing to drop the shaft out the bottom of the housing. I was typeing faster than I was thinking. Trouble is I type really slow too

Is there really a BIG difference between a wide frame sleeve hitch and one for an 82 series? I'm being told a standard wide frame hitch will not fit my wide frame 582.

Any diagrams or pics of the part or parts would be appreciated, thanks guys
err.gif

Can someone tell me what this is? Model, year, engine size, etc.?

225937.jpg

Tail lights for the 129 are part #545616-R1, they come in amber and red. What was the OEM color used? Where do I purchase tires for the tractor? Looking through the sponsors I only find ribbed or lug type tires. I am looking for ag tires.

NORM B. - THAT tractor in that pic is probably off topic, looks like a Cub Cadet/MTD compact utility tractor with a JD seat and a LOT of abuse and missing parts.

I'm amazed how badly some people treat their EXPENSIVE equipment.

DAVE H. - Dave R is correct, if the steering shaft is twisting up out the the steering tube the top thrust bearing is TOAST. Even the internal collar in the gear box casting may be worn away. I've relaired that problem a couple times by installing a 1-1/2 inch OD by 3/4" ID sleeve about 3/4 to 1 inch long INSIDE the steering tube then drilling holes thru the flange of the gearbox casting, the steering tube, and into the sleeve and tapping the holes for small #8-32 or #8-24, or so machine screw threads to tie the whole assembly together. 3 or 4 screws is enough to hold everything securely.

New complete steering gearbox assemblies are available, at least they were about 8-10 years ago but their price takes your breath away!

I have 5 Cub Cadets, ranging from a 124 to 169. 3 have the IH amp meter and 2 have another brand. All of the IH meters bounce back and forth, while the aftermarkets stay steady. Is this something unique to the IH model? All retain a charge. Thanks

DAVID G. - I think it has more to do with the age of the IH amp meters than anything "Special" IH had Stewart-Warner do in making them. S-W was IH's gauge supplier for many many many years.

Jon S.-

The lift bar is different.

Barry P.-

Taillights were always red. From what I've always seen on here, ag and lug tires refer to the same thing.

Gentleman, Thank you for your response on the wide frame vs narrow frame engine question, I think I need to clarify a bit though. In looking into rebuild kits for the PTO I see them listed as to NF and WF. If I put an engine from a NF into a WF is there a difference in the PTO? What is the difference between the PTO rebuild kits?

I remeasured my crank journal and it's 1.486 one way and 1.481 at 90degs to the first measurement. May need a new crank for the 12 horse. Where's a good place to look, I did not see any listed by our sponsors above.

the other MattG

DAVE H., Now you have a picture of the steering gear and a place to get parts. Now go up to the top of this page and click on FAQ's, then click on the next set of FAQ's and look at 18a+b. Tells ya how to actually rebuild ur steering.

Matt G,
I think the difference is the PTO break. Just saying could be wrong.

Matt Greene-

You can use a nf pto on a wide frame and vice versa. The main difference in the ptos are the springs. The nf pto has a single spring and the wide frame pto has two springs. The adjusting tool is different as well. The nf pto never had a brake, just the later wf ptos in the mid 70s due to safety regulations.

Tom-

We have TWO Matt Gs now so I guess we ought to specify.

Matt Greene, There is a bering insert you can use to save a crank.

Matt Go, so a standard wide frame sleeve hitch WONT work? If the lift bar is the only difference I could fab up one that wold work. I ask because the only one I can find for an 82 series is priced A LOT more expensive than what Im willing to pay.

Latest posts

Back