• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 02, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,
I seen your "Snake oil additive" on your site.
I was wondering if the price listed was per quart?
Thinking about trying it in my 1450, both motor and hydro.
How much do you add to the oil and fluid?
After reading about the product, it seems to make sense to me.
Thanks, Brad

ROY - The top part of the housing is relatively cheap, I paid $20 for it, bearing was $64, the killer was the bottom part, much deeper draught on it, and was $70. The little dust/debris shield on the bottom was $6, and the new half-moon key for the drive pulley was a Buck.

I'd just replace the ST-745 and maybe the top part of the housing.

I use Lubri-Plate #1201 or #1202 grease in everything on my CC's, the 1202 has a higher temperature range than the 1201 so is a bit better for the high speed mower spindles, and sometimes it's easier to find in my 14 Oz tubes for my grease gun. There's about 14 or 16 zerks on my pickup and I use it on everything on it too, as well as my old Farmalls. Most times I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on front wheel bearings because of the heat from the front brakes.

ANY good lithium based multi-purpose grease should be fine. I did use Mystic JT-6 grease for several years and did have spindle bearing problems. Haven't had any issues since I switched to Lubri-Plate, except for the one bearing this spring.

Moly in grease is O-K, but I don't really think Teflon is necessary. It is a great dry film lube, but I really doubt there's enough in normal gun grease to make much difference.

There's probably as much info on the Internet about "Chassis Grease" as there is gasoline and Motor oil.

Had a real nice chat with Wyatt Compton years ago in the shop over a couple malted beverages, and mower deck spindles are REAL close to needing to be OIL lubricated as opposed to grease lubed. Most things on a CC are rather low stress and plain bushing applications, like frt axle spindles, steering gearbox, etc., but the mower spindles are very much different. And they do get warm when running for three-four hours at a time!

Brad - Price per quart ?
You're funny !
biggrin.gif

Well guys I have been wanting to ask this question ever since I built the new drive shaft for my 1512 Diesel. The grease I used in the CV joint was a special grease with lead. Seems the lead content is great for a spinning gear and I was thinking of using it in my mower deck spindles. Any thoughts on this grease? would it be a better lubricant than straight grease ? It is pricier.
old.gif

Got some seat time today by cutting 2 1/2 acres with 37 year old unrestored IH steel (128)

yep felt good

DENNIS,

My bottom part on the 50C mower spindle, the spindle housing, might be okay. The hole is 1 1/8" dia, and seems to have some wear, but I don't know if that is too much. For reference I understand the top cap has a 1" dia hole. The ST-745 spindle wore a groove into the bottom cup so that too would need replacing.

Tomorrow I'll call local Cub shops and see if they have the spindle housing and what is the hole dimension. That should help me figure out what I need if I decide to stick with the ST-745 spindle. Of course if anyone can verify those hole dimensions I would appreciate it. But with the wear I'm seeing on so many components, I might be better off buying a complete spindle assy w/o the pulley. Which leads me to my question:

One of our sponsors (Charlie) lists a complete spindle assy (759-3479) for $148. The listing says it's for the ST-745; and the 44, 44A, 50, and 50A decks. I've got 44C and 50C deck, and haven't heard of a 44A or 50A deck. Could this simply be a typo, and the A should be a C?

Roy N.
The ST745 fits all these.
38C Rotary Mower 44", 50" 3 Blade Deck 44A 44", 50A 50" 3 Blade Deck
38", 42" 3 Spindle Mower-->Main Frame and Knife Unit -38" and 42" Blade- Part 2 (1968-1971)
38", 42" 3 Spindle Mower-->Main Frame and Knife Unit -38" and 42" Blade- Part 3 (1971-1974)

I goofed around and clicked on some stuff and ran across this from 2004 on the forum I want to do this for my 122 I think I will be abel to cut holes in the blockout pannel for them to make it look better any input.

Can someone tell me if a kohler off if a 212 or 214 john deere will fit the 102 or 125 cub cadet?

CHARLIE,

Okay, I see where the ST-745 is used on those mowers. What got me confused is the electronic Cub Cadet Parts Lookup for the 782 with the model 359 deck, viz the 50C and 50" deck, shows the spindle with the roller bearings. But the CPE-2 Parts Catalog (Rev 14) on page B-57 shows the 44C and 50C deck using the ST-745 spindle. Which one is correct? It now seems that both are.

I found the 44A and 50A in the CPE-2, and it uses the same graphics/part list as the 44C and 50C. The only difference seems to be the mule drive.

So it seems the spindles (ST-745 ball bearing type with its stamped steel housing, and the 959-3226 roller bearing type with its cast aluminum housing) are interchangeable between the 44, 44A, 44C, 50, 50A, and 50C decks.

Roy N.
To be honest, I think it all had to do with which guy setup the manual that month, LOL
I do know, that depending on which spindle housing was used that the ST745 covers more than what the manuals really say. I think!
clappy.gif

There's more guys on here that know decks way more than I do. Hopefully they will educate us both.

Anyone know what my 122 weighs with a 42" cast iron end deck ? I have been offered a 5X8 trailer for a ridiculously low price, this is nothing fancy just a cheap trailer from Lowes with a mesh deck but its only 6 months old and I can pick it up for $200.00. Just wanna make sure the 122 wont fall through.

I think the CI case spindles with the tapered roller bearings came first, and were then replaced by the ST-745 bearings. I imagine that at the time, the ST-745s were replacements for the older spindles, and then when MTD came out with the aluminum housing spindles with the tapered roller bearings, they became the replacement for both of the previous styles.

Dennis has a good point...the ST-745s are durable, but they must be maintained. Most haven't been, and are either loose or deafening. I've had 6-7+ decks with the ST-745 bearings, and only a couple have been quiet. Most were noisy, including the deck I rebuilt for my 782D. I could never justify putting $400 worth of new ST-745 bearings into one of these decks, as they're far too plentiful around here. I've got one more 50C to put together, and it'll have the new aluminum housing spindles so I can more economically replace the bearings when needed.

BTW, aren't those ST-745s made by PEER?

Back on the spindle topic. If I were to take my aluminum housing tapered bearing spindle apart, I will have to replace the grease seals. Is that right or am I taking it apart wrong?

DW,
The tractor weighs 800 pounds. The deck, probably 35-40 easy.
I'd say with a little beefing up of the decking, it should do well for ya, IMHO

Latest posts

Back