Archive through July 24, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apiscopio

displayname
Anthony Piscopio
Was there ever a factory strap installed to prevent the hood from hitting the front grille housing when the hood is open. I have a 126 and I couldn't find this part # for this item.

Dennis, when cutting at 3" on uneven ground, the skids do not hold up each corner very well and you can cut over 1" lower from one pass to the next. With the wheels out there and set to 1/4-1/2" off the ground, it makes a much more even cut from one pas to the next. I run a 48" deck on my 106 because of the fast 2nd gear. Like you, 2nd gear is way to fast and 1st gear is kind of slow for mowing so I have plenty of power to pull the extra cutting width and it does take less time. I mow about 1.5 acres each week and cut another 1/4 acre every 2-3 weeks. It takes me about 2 1/4 hours normal and 2 1/2+ the other week without the trimming. I do not have many trees but I have the garden, shed, garage, and house to go around. It takes less than 2 hours when the 129 and 50" deck was running good. Thank you brother-in-law for siezing the rings on that unit.

"By Mike Brennan (Mbrennan) on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 09:29 am:
Trying to upload photo but cant seem to get one under 100 pixels? Oh well?
"

Mike:
Not sure where you got the 100 pixels thing from... Two restrictions in posting pics (for most of us..) are a maximum file size of 100 KB and a requested maximum picture width of 800 pixels. Also, if posting multiple pics, put a <return> before the first picture and a <return> between each picture...
thumbsup.gif

Anthony P,
No, not by IH, thats why you can't find a part number for a strap.

Mike B.-

What operating system do you have? If you have Windows XP, download and install the XP Image Resizer Powertoy and you can simply right click on the picture in Windows Explorer, select "Resize Pictures" and set the resolution to either 800x600 or 640x480. 800x600 is usually small enough. When it finishes, hover the the mouse pointer over the picture; details such as the size will appear; if it is about 95kb or less, you're good; if not, try 640x480. You can also batch re-size by selecting multiple pictures at once in Windows explorer. If you have Windows 7 or Vista, this is an equivalent program.

Hello all. Not sure if this the right place for this but I just wanted to say hello. i just recently joined and apologize if I'm in the wrong place. I have a 1963 Original, a 198? 582(red) and an old IH Cub Cadet push mower, I also have a 1979 Scout II, a 1949 Freezer and a 1951 fridge. Also, the engine on the 582 is totally shot(broken oiston,cam, rod, connecting rod and valve). I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find an old or new engine. Thanks

Mike B:
A couple of other programs for resizing .jpgs on Windows systems include JPEG Resizer and Irfanview. They offer more flexibility than the Powertoys tool in that you can specify a size in pixels and then lower the quality to get the file size you need. JPEG Resizer is a good compromise between the simple Powertoy and the complex Irfanview..

On mower decks:
Seems like the 48" deck (wide oval runner, cast nose, steel plate end cap) that came with my 129 is less common than the 42" and 44" ones that I see mentioned. Those runners were great for turf slicing; I put a CCC supplied "ball wheel" kit on the front and a homemade runner wheel set on the back of the deck in place of those oval runners. The end blades on this deck were slightly shorter than the center blade, but not as drastically as the more common decks..

MATT G - Thanks for the heads up on the 46" deck.

I used to work with a guy who worked for an R&D company, developing products & equipment for other manufacturing companies. His first exposure to CC's back about the time the 70/100 was released was when anothe company brought a CC 100 and a Simplicity deck to them and said, "Make THIS deck work on THIS tractor, then make it <font color="ff0000"><font face="courier new,courier">different</font></font> so we can build it to compete with IHC on the CC. Just NOT enough room under the frames on NF tractors.

Dennis:
We should be thankful IHC gave up on the two blade timed decks.. I suffered for a few years with an (OT) M-F two blade deck that used right angle gearboxes rather than a Gilmer belt, but it had problems, too. The "O" I had exposure to back in the day had problems with the Gilmer belt, while the M-F would wear out the splined couplers on the cross shaft, from the side pressure the PTO drive put on the cross shaft..

I was wondering what particular pulley was used on the 42" deck for the speed up pulley. I was going to change out the old pulley for the newer speed-up pulley but I don't know which one or what the part number us for the pulley.

GERRY - former co-worker had a BIG Bolens garden tractor, something comparable to my 982, and it's deck had right angle gear boxes for the blades on the deck. Not a good design on such small shafts.

About twenty-some years AFTER Dad traded his '63 CC with the timed 2-blade deck off for the 70 he found out a Coffee Buddy of his bought it after it was repainted IH 2150 RED and white back in 1965. I was breaking one of those $22 each (in 1965 Dollars) belts once a year. This guy told Dad you had run the Gilmer belt looser so it would slip a tooth or two if you hit something. The blades would get out of time a bit but if they did ever hit each other, just shut the deck & tractor off and manually space them apart and go back to mowing. But that timed deck had other issues, the tiny belt that went from the center idler to the right spindle was WAY too small, I'd slip it sometimes even with just 7 HP, that's why IH didn't recommend that deck be used on the 100's. And the mule drive belt running all the time and sliding the center idler to engage the deck wasn't a good idea either. The '61 to '63 CC's were better than anything else on the market, but they had issues enough to keep me from ever wanting one. The fact the 70/100 design was in production with so very few changes from '63 till IH sold the line to MTD in '81 shows how good thet design was! And every couple years they just kept making it better.

I was just looking at the "O" deck manuals on CCManuals... Gotta love the handwritten notes (really!). Links ya right back to some parts guy 40-50 years ago.....
ihrotate.gif

Gerry:

I was beginning to feel left out due to my 48" deck, but I see you have one, too.

The ditch/hill in front of my house is just steep enough that when I try to run up it, the steel runners on my deck tend to spear the turf and stop me dead. I end up having to pull out the little walk-behind to trim that small slope. Do you have any pictures of the runner wheel modifications you have made to yours that you could share?

Keith:
All I could come up with quick..
227909.jpg

Here's a pic I found of the kit I used..posted by Don T. a while back
227910.jpg

Back wheel mounts were just angle iron with a set of vertically oriented holes drilled for height adjustment.. Seems I had some pics someplace, but not sure where now..

Points awarded for why I called the first pic "calf pulling".....

GERRY - You were pulling the bladder out of your water well pressure tank, ie: The Bladder was the calf. I can't remember why though.

Yep, takes lot of years to correct a hard copy parts book, add all the new part numbers into the margins, other part numbers that would work if the printed one in the book was back ordered. My Cousin bought the WHOLE line of parts books from the IH dealer the town I grew up in that had ALL those notes in them, even other company's parts numbers that would work since they handled several short lines of equipment.

I really miss the old days when you could still buy about everything for the old Letter series IH tractors at your local dealer.

Okay, so according to that write up there is no pulley swap to make the 42" 3 blade mower deck spin faster.

CLJordan Welcome sounds like you are a true IH guy. as far as an engine try the classifieds on this sight.....Jeff

Wayne S. Regarding your picture of the quick hitch for the front of your cub Cadet that you posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 @ 6:56 p.m. It looks great and very handy. Do you have any pictures of it in action yet?

Latest posts

Back