Archive through July 24, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike
The carriage in your pic is curved to fit over the deck, the deck center pulley is left of center so the mule drive idlers are angled left, and there may be lift differences too. I would look for the proper carriage for your 42" deck. Very nice looking 108!

afternoon all, my kohler K301A is almost all the way back together, just waiting on my points, condenser and air filter to arrive. its got a 0.010" undersized rod, ground and balanced crank, new pretty much everything and is bored 0.020" over, anything i should do to properly break it in (obviously dont rev it to death or try bush-hogging with it the first day), just wondering what oils to use or tips tricks and all the other useful wisdom yall have to offer so's i dont blow my cubbie up after all this work to revive it. much appreciated

Mike B,

The humpback subframe you have on your 108 will only work on the 44" and 50" mower decks. The 38", 42" and 48" mower require a straight subframe. Additionally, the mule drive should have the pulleys running straight fwd/aft rather than at a slight angle for the off center pulley on the 44" and 50" decks.

Glen, Your going to get about as many different opinions as there are people. If it was me I'd dink around with it for for the first hour. Drain the oil into a clean container and inspect that container very closely for crap, trying to identify whats in there. Then I'd fill it up with oil and mow with it. rings seat best when used, use it.

Glen, here's the break in procedure that David K. gave me when he built my K301 (Killer Kohler) for me. The RPMs are higher for this than would be for a stock Kohler rebuild so keep your RPMs to 3600. Also David installed a magnetic drain plug so never mind the mention of the metal whiskers if you don't have a magnetic drain plug... When I did the break in of Killer I did it while doing snow removal duties, full throttle under load. I'm sure the rings are fully seated.
Shift.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Break-In Procedure for Hot Rod Kohler

1. Fill crankcase with Resolute brand, non-detergent, straight 30 weight oil (available at Fleet Farm). 1.5 quarts required.

2. Start engine and run at a fast idle (approximately 1500 rpm) no load for 30 minutes. Shut down and allow to cool for at least 1 hour.

3. Remove top air baffle, spacer nuts and spacers from studs. Retorque head bolts in proper sequence as given in the Kohler shop manual. Torque to 28-30 foot pounds. Reassemble baffle and remainder of components.

4. Start engine, warm up, and set governor high idle speed to 3900 rpm. Do not exceed 4000 rpm due to safety concerns with stock flywheel.

5. Run the engine as you normally would under loaded conditions, such as mowing. This will allow rings to seat faster. Don’t lug the engine – keep rpm’s above 3000 when under load as this provides the proper cooling air flow. Check the flywheel grass screen often and never allow contaminants to hinder air flow.

6. Change oil after approximately 2 hours of running while engine is still hot. Clean magnetic plug. Metal “whiskers” on plug are normal at this point in the break-in process. Refill with Resolute brand, non-detergent, straight 30 weight oil.

7. Change oil after approximately 3 hours of running while engine is still hot. Clean magnetic plug. Fewer metal particles on drain plug should be observed at this stage of break-in. Refill with any reputable brand of 30 weight automotive detergent mineral oil (no partial or full synthetics at this point). If operated in temperatures below 32 deg F., use 10W-30 multiviscosity oil.

8. Change oil at 20-25 hour intervals. After 40-50 hours have been accrued, engine is considered fully broken-in. At this time, full synthetic oil may be used and is recommended. Use 10W-30 Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Change interval may be increased to 40-50 hours using synthetic. A good rule-of-thumb…when oil starts to darken, change it.

9. Fuel – 89 octane (mid-grade) is a recommended gasoline for most operating conditions. 87 octane can be run in cooler weather. You may run 91 octane without any ill effects, but is a waste of money. It is highly recommended that Marvel Mystery Oil be always added to the fuel in the ratio of .4 fl oz (12 cc’s) per gallon. This ensures that combustion chamber deposits are held down and valve guides/stems are lubricated. There is no need to add MMO to the crankcase oil, especially when using synthetics.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Wayne S. Good picture and it looks sharp painted up like that.
227980.gif

Right now I am rather brain dead and suffering from CRS. I have some threads that need to be cleaned up on the rear axles. The tractor has been sitting a few years and the bolt threads are rusty. What is the tap size that I need to purchase? TIA!!!

Bob R ....welcome... hang in there and someone will answer you, I cant be any help as i only have wide frame models...

Ok, cool. Thank you Kraig and Dave, I'll do just that, and, I'm gonna invest in some MMO. Only thing I didnt do to my engine is re-install my balance gears, do they even make much of a difference? other than not having them ensures my block wont have a hole torn in it...

Mike, gorgeous 108, well done, looks btter'n new!

Latest posts

Back