• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 22, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I shouldn't have taken so many breaks while composing my post to Tom. Kraig got him ALL straightened out and even posted a pic of his Killer Kohler!

I could have got my post done sooner but the dog had to go "outside".
lol.gif

Dennis -- Thanks. My 100 is a conglomeration but the rear end may well be all original. Has Hy-Tran in it but probably due for a change. The brakes seem to work fine, at least right now, they're just squeaky...not in any rush to fix them unless delaying it could cause additional problems.

STEVE - Probably won't hurt a thing to run your brakes till this fall or winter. The only thing that could happen would be the brake rotor rubbing against the outer edges of cast iron bores the pucks set into. If that happened the rotor could get scored or scratched up.

I replaced the pucks in my 72 about 20 yrs ago and there was all kinds of material left on them. The whole puck is friction material. Since it's a wet brake there's hardly any wear on the pucks.

On my Original Timed Deck, I cannot get the spindle to pull tight when buttoned up.....rocks side to side some and falls about a 1/8 inch up and down...got the CPE-2 and have the washers in right place but no good....the right side it fine just the one side....could the races for the bearings....(which are brand new BTW)... have worn enough to cause the slight wobble...

Tried everything I know....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Where is the chart that gives the month of production and the serial numbers produced in that month for the earlier models?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Never mind, I found it.
bash.gif

FAQ's! FAQ's! FAQ's!

Marty, page 106 of the "50 years of Cub Cadet" by Oscar H Will III
err.gif

OK, here's another question.
In the first years of Cub Cadet production, what were the working hours?
Monday-Friday?
How many shifts?

Dennis, thanks for your input also, the more info I can get on these lawn tractors the better it is for me.

Well I bought the motor, had to pay extra for the starter/generator because he just got it rebuilt.
I'm also now the proud owner of another 125, which makes it three of them. Hahahaha couldn't resist it. So now I've got two engines with dropped rods to work on in the winter.

I wish I could start up a IH Cub Cadet factory. We could make a few Originals, and everything would be like if you were in 1961. What hobby this would be.

I'm sorry. But I did give up the alcohol. Never did drugs.

John, if you did the cost of union labor and limited production would make them cost prohibitive. Only the 1%ers could afford them.
happy.gif

Anyone know offhand who sells repo serial number decals for the #2 carts? I've seen em - just can't remember where they came from. Thanks

John L: What we need to do is get Dennis Carpenter involved in Cubs. You can build a complete Cushman scooter except for the Cast iron block and crank out of his catalog and I see he's now selling 40 Ford bodies (check the various tabs). He got into 8N Fords and is rapidly expanding that line. I first bought F100 pickup parts from him a few years ago. Parts aren't cheap, but in a lot of cases he's had original dies rescued and put back into use. I had the pleasure of visiting his operation near the Lowe's Speedway in Charlotte NC a few years ago and its a pretty neat place to visit.. If we could get him into Cubs, I can see an Original on the next tab on that web page
happy.gif

PAUL B., MARTY G. - Lot of people at IH plants worked a TON of over-time. Certain jobs running machines were "Production constraints", meaning they restricted the flow of parts to the lines for assembly. And if they were bad enough constraints those jobs would work 24-7 if needed. But the assembly lines only ran one or two shifts and 5 days/week. Scheduling O/T for an assembly line was next to impossible with IH's UAW contract with no manditory O/T.

The increased production schedule at FARMALL from 125 or 145/day to 175 because of the popularity of the newly released 86-series FARMALL's in 1976 is what got me into Farmall. They ran the lines two shifts for that daily rate. After about 3 months they dropped the schedule to 145-150/day on one shift, which caused my first lay-off. Then I ran IH East Moline's big shear line out of work in about six weeks and was laid-off from there, then got on as a Production scheduler back at FARMALL for 8-9 months and was laid-off again. Thru all those lay-off's I only missed ONE day of work, but made up for it by working my first day as a prod. schduler @ Farmall on 1st shift, then working my last shift @ IH EM that evening.

JOHN L. - IMO, there's better model CC's than the '61/'63 Originals to reproduce. A 124/125 would be nice, or a 128/129 would be great, but with today's safety, noise, & emissions requirements, the tractor would have to be more like a 582/682/782, which are also a great machine.

On the "new Cubs" - I've heard rumors that repo 169s are nearing the production phase.

GERRY - I forget the name of the co. that makes them, but you can buy brand new, complete 1969 Chevy Camaro's all made from new re-pro parts. Not sure how they handle the titling, would it be a 1969, or would it be a 2013 model?

Only thing it's missing from a real '69 Camaro is the RUST! And all the hack-job prior owner modifications.

Neighbor across the road from the farm I grew up on owned two 8N Ford tractors. One was stock, other had a FUNK Conversion with a large in-line 6-cyl.flat head engine in it, the most popular FUNK conversion was the flat-head V8. The stock tractor was totally worthless, and the Funk conversion was almost as worthless. Guy farmed 320 acres with a 560-gas Farmall, those two Fords, and a Cub Farmall to mow his lawn. Last year he farmed he bought an old W9 IH to ease the work-load on the 560. The 560 did ALL the plowing, disking, planting, cultivating, spraying until that last year. He had a little new IH 203 combine with a 13 ft grain platform & 2-row corn head to combine all his crops with so the 560 never had to run a picker. Most years he started combining corn between Labor Day & Halloween and finished after New Year's Day. NO cab on that little combine either. If we got an early big snow storm it would be spring before he was done combining! Just in time to start plowing!

ANYHOW, I don't think were all that far away from being able to build new CC's with the selection of new parts available from our sponsors. You may have to delve into some puller parts like the HEAVY-DUTY all cast aluminum rearends. And the frames for all the NF models are easy to make, no fancy bends, just straight 90 degree bends the length of the frames. The engines would be the hard part. Kohler stopped building the K & Magnum series engines years ago. Probably have to use a new OHV EFI & computer controlled ignition style engine. Oh DARN!
Shift.gif

Dennis, you have to have the title vin plates from the rusted out, hacked up real '69 to put on the new one.

I'm fairly certain you can build a brand new 169 from the sponsors above it you've got a 1X9 series to start with. And if not, they have those too!

NIC - Yes, only part of a real 169 that would be the problem anymore is the K341. Think I paid Don Vogt $125 for a complete K321, even had the PTO clutch, from a 147 but no S/G, used worn-out stock bore in about 2002/2003. At the time ANY K341 block that didn't have a window from a failed conn rod was $500 minimum. That's why Wyatt Compton & I built up Killer K321's. His is a little more "Killer" than mine. ;-)

I did find a web outlet that shows they have ONE new Magnum 16 Kohler in stock yet for $2000. http://www.brandnewengines.com/711500.aspx It wouldn't work for a "100-point Concours tractor" but it's a better engine than a K341.

I know 20-25 yrs ago repair parts for the old H & M series FARMALL's were going NLA at a pretty good rate every year. But the small mfg. co's jumped in and it's easier & almost cheaper to find parts now than it was in the 1960's. Have to be careful as lots are made in China & India and don;t work and don;t last, but the heavy steel stuff is made in the US. Same thing is happening to CC's.

Thanks for the info on titling the '69 Camaro. So you have to have or buy a basket case or wrecked '69 before you buy your NEW one! Buddy paid $8000 for a roller chassis '68 Chevelle SS, the BB engine & T400 trans was in the back seat. Pretty sure NOBODY will ever make re-pro bodies & stuff for that! Neighbor Kid tried to beat a train across a RR crossing one night in his '69 Z28. Would have been around 1971, maybe '72. Didn't make it, almost ripped the car in two, kid broke both his legs really bad, had to crawl 1/4 mile to get help. Crash was so violent it broke his forged aluminum wheels into pieces. And they bend before breaking. Then there was my buddy who wrecked his '72 Mach 1 with about 2000 miles on it. It was blue. The Mach 1 he replaced it with was silver. Wish I could find his old blue car. He alsways said it was the faster of the two! 351C 4bbl & C6, make a nice transplant into a Ranger P/U. Be the Gen 1 Lightning FMC should have made but 20 yrs early!

Anyhow... My 982 is calling my name.... have to mow today... YEA! Been two weeks since I mowed last, been so dry it barely needs it.

Just in case anyone has been having issues getting to the forum today!
It seems we have been under attack on and off 3 times today by someone causing a DDOS.

For those that don't know what that is,
Distributed Denial-of-service (DDoS)
Distributed Denial of service attacks work the same as other DoS attacks but instead of sending the congestion from one computer it is sent from manny. This is done because most servers have a pattern recognition system to prevent multiple request from the same source. Therefore, by distributing the calls the target server dosen't realize its under attack. In order for such an attack to work the attacker has tocontrol several other machines.

A DDoS attack is one that comes from many "dummy" computers at the same time to flood the server. This is done either so that it is harder to trace or so that they can use more bandwidth. DDoS attacks are what have been used recently to take down large web servers such as Yahoo! and Microsoft.

Hopefully I've got all the back doors closed for now!

Latest posts

Back