Archive through July 19, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the torque wrench, ready to use it tomorrow, sure hope it works! Then I'll be completing the restore soon after all is apart. Pics will be posted soon as well.

KGA, If you want to keep the 147 another 10-15 years keep the wife off of it!

Tom, are you telling us there are no female O.E.s..?
whistling.gif

KEITH - the plastic hydro fans were really fragile, lots of them don't even survive installation! They're kinda like the fiber PTO thrust buttons, you should buy them 2-3 at a time.

I went to a household auction in East Moline, IL back around 1980, before I bought my CC #72 in Jan of '81. There was a #147 and another gear drive CC, like a 102 or 104. There was a cardboard box of spare parts/belts/blades that sold as part of the 147 and it had two broken elec. lift units in it that had been taken off & replaced in the roughly ten yrs the tractor had been run.

The steering gear boxes are another part that really wasn't up to the durability level of the rest of the CC tractors. At least you can still get parts for them relatively cheap. I bought a whole new gearbox for my 72 about 8-10 yrs ago and installed it five years ago. Even on the spring tune-up sale from my local Case/IH & CC dealer it was almost $300 with tax back then. But you can't really use the tractor if you can't steer it. My old gear box was really worn everywhere. I'd rebuilt it at least twice. The top thrust bearing & stamped race had pushed up thru the top of the diecast housing and the steering tube was loose in the casting. I had to install a heavy wall steel sleeve made from 1-1/2" OD x 3/4" ID tubing to tie everything together.

torque wrench is also a big fail. I made a new slot tight enough for it to grip into, bolts dont even move at all, i used pb blaster, heated. Nothing is working, and im running out of time.

Brandon, can you weld? If so tack weld a nut to the top of those foot pad screws. Do the weld inside the nut. The combination of the heat from the welding and the new found grip of a hex head should get them out.

Craig C., thanks! That's it Orville "Martin." I too have often wondered if he's still around...

Keith aka KCA, WELCOME!
WELCOME.gif

Kraig -

Two Originals that originated with "Orv" that went on to "rebirth" and fame include:

"Plow Special"

"K4K"

happy.gif
happy.gif

Brandon-

If you heated them and they didn't come out easily, you aren't doing something right. Heat the nut plate underneath, not the bolt, until it glows a dull orange. Then spin them out with a screwdriver. You'll probably need an oxy-acetylene torch (or propane-acetylene) to do this...if not you're SOL for that method. I don't know how some of you guys do anything without one of those torches...they are a necessity with older equipment.

Matt-

I've never heard of a propane-acetylene torch. I've heard of oxy-acetylene and oxy-propane but never those two gases together. Have I been in the dark that long? I'm not saying it doesn't exist; I've just never heard if it.

I met a very nice gentleman today in South Carolina. He recently ran an ad for a free 107 and I was lucky enough to be the first to respond. I made the trip with my nephew today in an unairconditioned vehicle. It encompassed about 450 miles and was hot as hades. It turned out to be well worth the trip and heat. He just went through the original K241 which I got along with the tractor, a disc harrow, and a bucket of great parts like the pto, etc. There was also a brinly sleeve hitch included. When I got there and saw the sleeve hitch and stuff I felt the trip was well worth it. The tractor has been modified to accept a Harbor Freight 13hp aftermarket engine. It supposedly has few hours on it but it might be better suited for my log splitter since I got the original engine too. I'll post pics tomorrow during the heat wave when I can't be outside for long anyway.

Wayne, I think yoy really cleaned up on that deal. And maybe got another log splitter motor...every so often one steps into something and comes out smelling like a rose!..
thumbsup_old.gif

For those that dont have a real necessity for oxy/acet torches, as someone else mentioned, a Mapp gas torch gets real hot<font size="-2">But the flame can be kind of large</font>

Allen-

This was a great deal but I can't figure out how to get as lucky as Charlie and find a loader or other rare things as such. I'd trade half of my collection for a good loader.

Wayne: I was the second guy who called on that 107. When the owner told me that "another guy from North Carolina" was coming down for it, I figured it was you. I'm happy that you're happy with it. I'm not sure I wanted to get into a narrow frame gear drive. The extras make is sweeter, though.

Wayne-

I meant Oxy-Propane...my bad
bash.gif
I guess I had to think too much at work today.

Anyway, works nearly as good as O/A in most cases, and the propane is cheaper than the acetylene.

Jeremiah-

Yep, I responded the following morning and was the first...luckily. He said today there were a couple of others in case I didn't show. BTW, the 107 is a hydro...not a gear drive. It is a narrow frame though.

Matt-

Good to know science hasn't come up with some crazy new combination of gases for cutting. It's kinda ironic because I was speaking with my nephew today about this very thing. He uses oxy-propane in his muffler business and says it's all he needs. I have an empty acetylene tank (almost) and have had for about a year because of cost. He was telling me to change over for that reason. I don't use that much heat often but it's nice to have when you do need it. I use a handheld propane tank for most things. When cutting has been needed I get the grinder or cut-off tool.

It's gonna be hotter than a Kohler's sticky exhaust valve tomorrow.. they say 100 degf...
devil1.gif
devil2.gif
lazerburn.gif

Hey Guys. I have a steering tube assembly for my 1968 Model 124, that needs help. The bearings are bad and while removing the adjusting plug the housing cracked. I could possibly get it welded, but may take a lot of work, as the crack is pretty bad! Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Matt Staring

Latest posts

Back