• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 19, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarney

displayname
Craig Carney
Kraig -

His name was/is Orville Martin, from Long Prairie, MN. He'd be well over 90 now, and I often wonder if he's still in his (air conditioned) shop, fixing up some 149. That model was his favorite. He did clever repairs like that key quite often.

Speaking of tread plates, what exactly was the original finish applied to the ones installed on a 147 such as mine, or the other narrow frames that used them? Mine are completely burnished rust at this point, and are so smooth and glossy that my feet continually slide forward on them. They couldn't have really been that smooth to begin with, could they?

I'm going to make use of a new textured powder coat called Super Grip on mine. Hopefully that will stop the foot slide problem. It creates a finish somewhat similar to that crazy no-slip tape that they put on stuff these days, but it won't peel off.

Oh, and seeing as I am one of the new guys, and not able to provide much information specific to our tractors, I figured I would offer my knowledge of powder coating and ceramic finishes to the group in trade. I'm not looking for business,I just know that there is a lot of misinformation on the web, and I figure you folks would appreciate the straight dope from a source in the custom powder coating industry.

Keith - welcome to the best IH CC forum on the internet. The foot rests were painted with gloss black paint when new. And it's amazing how 40 yrs of wear smooths those non-slip surfaces out! The tread plates on the later WF tractors were painted that way also, but the stampings seemed to wear down the sharp gripping edges and get slippery sooner. I think your new coating will work good. Some people have had them coated with pickup truck bedliner coating also.

We're always interested in learning things here. I have the original Eastwood PC setup, had it for 6-8 yrs. I'd use it more but my curing oven just isn't big enough! ANY PC info you can share with us is welcome!

Enjoy being part of the group!

Dennis - Buy some elements and build a bigger oven !

KCA - <font size="-2">If that's okay with you</font> How well is the non slip PC going to wear as far as retaining it's slip resistance ?
You could start a new thread in the Machine Shop section if you feel the need ...
whistling.gif

Dennis, thanks for the welcome. Mine are so far gone, there's no way I could have ever figured out they were ever gloss black. My 147 practically has light years on it, which I only know because it came with all of the original papers, and the previous owner from 1978 until his passing in 1993 was meticulous in his record keeping, if not a little OCD about it. (Original engine rebuilt three times while he owned it, and then a Kohler factory engine was installed in the early 90's to the tune of $3K parts and labour. Yikes!)

Bedliner coating? Genius! I do like that idea. And that Eastwood system you have is a decent little hobby gun from what I have heard. A little tough to shoot multiple coats with, but that's all you really need most of the time. By the way, i am with KENtuckyKEN - build a bigger oven. You know... Something big enough to hang a frame in should do the trick.

KENtuckyKEN, KCA is just fine. As for the wear factor, well, I don't have personal experience with that, yet. At least, not with this particular powder, as it is new to the market. Generally speaking, powder coating has a very high abrasion resistance. It will eventually wear smooth enough to not be grippy any more, but how long that will take isn't something I can answer at this time. According to the manufacturer's best guess, it will outlast a lawn mower using it in the same application... Will it outlast an IH Cub Cadet? I doubt it, but hey, it should last a good long time!

Now why do I feel as if people are hinting at me to start a thread in the Machine Shop? Heh. Okay, okay... I will look in to it. Maybe make it a sort of Q&A thread?

Hey guys.
I have a 102 series Cub that needs a head gasket. I can't get much information off the Kohler's engine tag. The only numbers I could get are: C180/684 and 46329D. The head number is 235461. I've been looking in the vault and at Kohler's website. I went to a dealer up the road and they said they need more information. Could someone tell if I posted a picture? If it is something year specific, I could look up the chassis number. Thanks in advance... Scott

ALLEN - That's NOT what Charlie tells ME about Ken!
err.gif

KEITH - $3000 for a new engine & labor.... Must have been a LOT of other work done to it for that price. Kinda like we used to kid, they jacked the hood ornament up and installed a whole new tractor under it! ;-)

KEN - If they weren't gas fired furnaces, the foundry I used to work at had a dozen heat-treat ovens big enough to park SIX mid-sized cars in and close the door. I could cure LOTS and lots of parts in one of those. If I had a bigger oven, I couldn't get into my shop. Plus I've got about six paint guns to choose from in the shop, everything from a detail gun to a real nice HVLP finish gun SON bought a year ago.

SCOTT - If your 102 still has a ten (K241) twelve (K301) or fourteen (K321) horse engine in it they ALL take the same head gasket. Count the number of head bolts/studs on your engine, nine is one of those engines I listed, ten is a K341 16 HP engine, seven is the K161/181 7 or 8 HP engine which a prior owner may have installed and they both take the same gasket. If they don;t have the correct gasket I'd order from one of our sponsors, they KNOW which gasket you need.

Guess I spoke too soon....

Part number KH-47-041-15 off cubcadet.com

For a K241 A 10 hp engine.

Thanks anyways!

Keith:
Sounds like the PO made somebody's boat payment... I bought a replacement K-301 in '95 for about $600. I was told that Kohler had a "spring special" every year for L&G dealers. I'd like to buy another one now, actually I'd like a K-321..
Dennis:
My son-in-law (I guess now ex) built an oven big enough to put a motorcycle frame in - used the guts out of an old kitchen oven, even had the control panel on it. I heard that he's sold it now - I actually kept our old stove when we bought a new one for the same purpose. I guess I could just do parts in the house now...

GERRY - My Sister gave me her old elec. oven when she remodeled her kitchen 12-15 years ago.

Someone posted last winter on the RPM forum that Eastwood finally offered a red that matched IH 2150 red and I got a half pound of powder a month ago to coat the seat base on my Super H. I have to take it apart to fit but then I know the rubber bushings and hyd shock absorber wouldn't tolerate the 400 deg F curing temp so I have to take it apart anyhow.

I coated all the engine tins on my K321 in the #72 with gloss black PC. It's tough, resists gas, oil, heat, scratches.

The Eastwood gun cleans up in 2-3 minutes with just compressed air. And a half pound of powder @ $9.99 coats about as much as 4 to 6 cans of spray paint. I use it on almost all metal I paint anymore.

Dennis, nope. The actual charge was really about $2,900 with tax, but included pick up and delivery charges, a complete motor right down to the air cover, a tail light replacement, (what?) and a new front PTO assembly. I don't know if lube (catch my drift?) was included.

The guy threw money at the tractor like a mad man. When he died, his wife practically gave the tractor away. According to the guy I got it from, who got it from her, she hated this tractor with a passion. No small wonder - the paper trail I possess shows that he lavished many thousands of dollars on it. Hey, that's fine with me. It runs like a top, and you can't slow it down with the thickest septic field grass despite a 48" deck with dull blades. I just need to overhaul the completely worn out steering system before my neighbours start to think I get loaded before heading out to mow the lawn.

Gerry! Don't do parts in the house. Trust me. Keep it in the garage or shop, and have plenty of fresh air.

Everyone, I'm going to go spend a few minutes plotting a thread for the Machine Shop.

Nothing makes biscuits taste better than cured epoxy in the oven ... don't bother me !

KEN - SON & I oven baked some Duplicolor engine enamel in the wife's gas oven in the house years ago. KEITH is right, keep the windows & doors open.

I don't let the wife cook in the oven in my shop, but if you want some biscuits & gravy I would let her cook the biscuits there if you want. Her B&G is better than Bob Evans ever thought of being.

KEITH - It's nice that people like that keep the service dept's of CC dealers busy. And keep their CC's running well. I know all about spouses not liking tractors. I cringe when I think about what will happen to my three CC's and two Farmall's after I'm gone.

Scott W.
The # 46329D is the Spec number for a K-241, 10 HP engine, and is a number you should have when ordering parts from a Kohler Dealer. The "D" is a variation of the basic 5 digit spec number and if any part is changed or updated that applies to that spec number, the "D" would identify the specific part change to the dealer. The part number for the head gasket thru Cub Cadet is a Kohler number, KH 47-041-15. That number superceded part number KH 47-041-10. Depending on how long your dealer has been around, he could have either part number in stock for a head gasket for that engine (also fits the K-301 12 hp and K-321 14 hp )

Personally, I prefer my biscuits with a touch of TGIC polyester fumes... I'm trying to grow a second evil head and/or develop mutant super powers.

By the way, that thread is up in the Machine Shop for anyone who is interested.

Naw we got tired of waiting
aaaa_tongue2.gif

I said I liked the epoxy biscuits but I didn't say Kathy does ...
bottom.gif

Dennis - All that money he spent, and he never bought a hydro fan to replace the one that is missing three blades. He even replaced the entire steering rack and the electric lift assembly in one week. Maybe the hydro fan broke after he passed away. Either way, he sure saved me a lot of money.

Oh, and you can leave your equipment to me. I not only have a big heated, dehumidified shop, but unless I manage to do something really wrong, I am almost certainly going to outlive my wife. Besides, my wife loves our 147. Now that I have managed to patch the trunnion back together, she wants me to teach her how to operate it.

PBell - Thanks for the info. The dealer actually hasn't been there long. They deal in lots of stuff and the staff is kinda low in experience. They do however treat me good and try to help.

Latest posts

Back