Archive through July 19, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this plan to build some front swival gauge wheels for one of my 50 inch decks today. Thought I had better check the blade level first as I noticed a day after mowing you can see the track of one of the blades in the grass is lighter than the other two, that usually indicates one of the blades is pointed down more than the others. Sure enough when I checked one of the blades was off by a 1/4 inch.

What I usually find when I have a blade off by that much is rust and dirt build up between the deck and the plate that holds the spindels. That kind of surprised me since this is a real nice low hour deck, looks good like it was well taken care of but it did come from back east so I decided to pull it apart.

20428.jpg

Yup, lots of rust. Thats another reason why I never wash my mower decks, always use air to blow them off after mowing.

Cleaned it up and primed it today.

20429.jpg

I'm not so sure that having the metal plate against the skin of the deck was a good idea. I think IH would have done better if they would have just made the deck skin thicker so they wouldnt have needed an extra plate.

I'm going to try something different when I put this deck back together. If you look at the metal plate it is shaped somewhat like a triangle with the spindels mounted on the ends and the point of the metal plate. There are no bolts at the back and that is where it seems the dirt gets in, probably when the deck flexes. I think I will add a couple of bolts just in front of the rear hangers, hopefully that will hold the middle back part of the plate against the deck skin preventing dirt from getting in, and maybe it will streghten the deck at the same time.

While I'm reworking this 149 I have found some interesting wear. This is my first wide frame R&R.

So I guess it is time to remove the Hydro and have it welded up. The pump doesn't leak, but I guess I have to do it anyway.....

20431.jpg

Tedd
I've seen worse brackets. If you have a Mig or know someone who has one it can be welded on the tractor. I just put a steel plate behind the bracket to protect the hydro and one under the bracket to protect the shaft.

I used to go overboard and add extra metal around the opening but then I got to thinking that the original bracket had lasted 30 years or more so now I just hit the corners with the mig and then file until I get it back to the correct dimension. They have been working good like that and will probably last another 30 years. You can use the opening in the side bracket as a template.

20433.jpg

By the way the side clip that holds the side plate on thats a bear cat to get off and put back on, if you get an aftermarket one, not from Cub Cadet they have larger holes so you can get a good grip with the clip pliars. I throw away all of the IH ones and get new ones.

Travis, Saw your listing on ebay for the tee shirts. Notice how all the 2-3X ones are selling? Must be something about all the massive upper body strenght we Cub Cadeter's have.

Upper body strength. Riiiiiiight

Man, these mosquitos are outrageous!!

Travis-
If you like skeeters, try fish flys. Around here they swarm and die and it's the most rancid smell around. We get enough of them by the river where if you forget to shut off the porch light on some evenings you need to get out a SHOVEL in the morning.

I just got a headlight mount for my 126 and would like to know what bulbs to use. Will the s/g keep up with halogens? Please post bulb numbers and I could really use a pic of the switch.

Thanks, Jim

Wyatt,

Know what you mean. I was in Sabula ( Iowa's only island city) yesterday and couldn't believe the piles of bugs. The ledges on the windows were full of them.

Cubs all used GE4411 35W trapezoid pattern headlamps.

(under edit...see Bryan's post for correct halogen numbers)

The standard 35W 4411's throw off plenty of light.

Try the sponsers, Farm & Fleet, or TSC for lamps.

(Message edited by sblunier on July 20, 2004)

Charlie,

Thanks for the package in the mail
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Halogens are GE H7606 and they work just fine with the S/G - I haven't burned one out yet.

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Charlie,

Yeah, I knew that, but you had to put the effort into it!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Bryan,

Thnaks for the correction.......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Finally broke down and bought a bigger generator this evening....added another cylinder to my "count". Dad used my old Winpower during the tornado last week, but it finally gave in to the years of hard use/abuse by a Morton Building erection crew and gave up.... It's replacement has about 2x the wattage and a nice quiet OHV Briggs on it (Generac 5000/8500W 10hp "WheelHouse" model). Too dang hot to get it running tonight, but I might mess around with it tomorrow evening.

Little did I know the "spare" was in better shape than the 1st one
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

The one I've got now will run the TV AND the computer/IHCCForum plus the other stuff.......gotta get the priorities straight!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks for the headlight info, guys.

Anybody still got a quick link to the place that sells the oval reflector inserts? I believe the place made repro-retro bikes.

Too lazy to dig and dig and dig!

RICHARD C. - IF IH made the 44 & 50 inch decks out of steel as thick as the deck skins Plus the reinforcing plate they would have become pretty heavy to handle! A little paint or plating/galvanizing would have probably really helped. Your opinion of "Hosing off the deck" after each mowing is the same as mine..... ONLY USE AN AIR HOSE! Water hose is for Flowers and stuff that doesn't RUST!

I'm thinking of adding a grass "bagger" to my 147 or 102. What do yiou guys recommend based on cost, ease of installation, and performance? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back