• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through July 19, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to do the "super steering box rebuild" as described in the FAQ with the thrust bearing, anyone have a good source for the "Nice605" bearing?

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on July 21, 2004)

Kraig -

Boy, that was fun, watching the evolution of your post
lol.gif

Bryan, it was fun on this end too! I finally decided to just email the info to Craig, and I didn't want to leave an "empty" post so I asked a question I've been meaning to ask anyway. Glad I was able to entertain you. :eek:)

Kraig, I looked at my 107 last night briefly. All linkage is moving, nothing appears to be binding or otherwise hung up. I will lubricate however.

I do not see the part you were referring to. Is it the damper spring as shown in parts diagram? (How do I post a photo here? I scanned the parts manual page)

-- Ken

Anyone have the 86 tunnel cover screw size handy? Parts manual isn't here yet.

Mine was duct taped in place and I want to fix it tonight.

Ken, that part would be under the fenders between the frame rails you likely won't be able to see it easily, but it might be visible if you look on the left side in front of the rear wheel. I think there is an access hole there, though it might be for the brake adjust.
20437.jpg

Ken, the spring(s) are item numbers 3 and 4 in the parts drawing:
20439.jpg

To post a photo type "\ image{file name or any text I usually use 1 2 3 etc.}" but without the space between the \ and image and without the quotes.

Yes ok, that is the same page I was going to post. And are you saying that plate #1 is not easily replaceable?

Rick M. -

I'd check the holes and verify before I ran to the hardware store, though.

Many a PO has drilled/tapped the holes to the next bigger size as they tend to strip.

My 1450 and 169 have 1/4" SS sheet metal screws with the hex/slotted head because of POs getting carried away
wink.gif

Ken, the plate, item #1 in the previous drawing, is not the part that wears out, it is item# 50 in this drawing that wears out. This drawing doesn't show it but item# 50 is where the slot is that the springs mount into.

20441.jpg

Bryan, good point!

Ken, item #1 in the first drawing and item #50 in the second drawing are 'connected' by the springs.
20443.jpg

20444.jpg

Ok I'm with you. I see what you mean now. If I were British I would say something like "Oh BLAST..." about now.

I'll double check the size.

I'm hoping to get under it some Saturday, I noticed some JB weld drips on top of the mowing deck when I got it, but have yet to find out where they put it.

Finally found time to finish one project, or at least I thought. I got the valve job done on the 149 engine and got it installed. Today I rebuilt the PTO clutch and installed it. I had to give it a try. It worked good but the 50" deck needs the speed up pulley and Gator blades. The problem is that it has a knock. The piston was tight in the bore when I replaced the head gasket so I know it is not that. I parked it and when i pulled on the s/g pulley, I could see the crankshaft moving back and forth. I guess I have to pull the engine again and do some shim changing on the end cover. It does smoke on start up and just a slight haze when running. This engine has been sitting a while. The question is do I run it a while and hope the rings loosen up or just put new rings in it and be done with it?

Rick M. -

Saturday? But you're a perfect candidate for heading over to Freeport
wink.gif

Oh Sh!t!!! You're rght, I am going! I had a momentary brain lapse. Forgive me
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back