• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 05, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis - I guess we need more details from Bob and others with gear drive Quiet Line units. I don't think the driveshaft was even painted if I recall correctly. I believe the clutch components were black and the main spring was red, and likely assembled and installed just before the engine installation, after everything was already painted. Also, the way the firewall fits it was likely installed after the engine was as well, and the gas tank added after that since it sits behind the firewall. The tank is also black (plastic).

Harry,
I have replaced a few cracked/broken pricey clutch drive disc on gear drive QL's (on 800's and a 1200, main reason I don't like them), and the only parts I remember being painted was the clutch release lever (throwout lever). Driveshaft and pressure plates are usually rust color. The engines came from Kohler painted black, just like the replacement engines bought from dealers were. The firewalls (and probably the throw out arm) probably came painted from an outside vendor, can't see IH running a paint line just for those parts, nothing else built/assembled at LVL was black, that I can think of was . If a process worked, IH was reluctant to change it. If you look at the inside of the hood on about any model IH Cub Cadet you will find paint runs, the outside of the white parts and the yellow parts were usually pretty good.

Well, I have a run away 321 on my hands.
Major overhaul a year ago and saw duty this last winter as my main thrower rig w/the QA42A with some plow day duty this spring and a few stints w/a 50" deck.

Ran great up till now, all of a sudden Out of the blue, it wants to over rev, climbing way too high on it's own to the point where you just know something ain't right.

I replaced the gov arm and spring recently as the spring had broken at the hole in the arm which was wallered out really bad. Both were with NEW parts from Cub. Seemed to run great after that until just a few days ago. Arm is tight on gov shaft and was adjusted per FSM when installed.

I am assuming a new govenor install???
Any thoughts please?

David S - first thing I'd think of is "did the governor shaft slip out of adjustment?" inside the new arm you installed". I've had that happen couple times. I don't like to torque down on the nut and bolt clamp set up but somehow that little shaft does slip sometimes.

Paul B - thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking IH painted anything black, just that their supplier of these clutch parts was painting them black, and some weren't painted at all. Hopefully we'll still here from a few others on the color of their clutch parts. I still think the red spring could have been original. I doubt IH was concerned about the color of clutch parts on an enclosed engine, but you and Denise may know that alot better than me.

JMHO Bob,you have a stock drivetrain and the red spring is just what the supplier delivered, it just happenend to be painted red, maybe the supplier was getting ready for the red colored cubs.

What the serial number build date of the 1000?

August of 77 probaly the first week of the month

A questions for other 70/100 owners: I'd like to set the mowing height on my 100 using the lift lever adjustment stop (and float). The problem is when the lever stop is slid all the way to the rear position in the slot my 42 inch deck is still only 1.5 inches off the ground...too short of cut to the point where it scalps. Granted I could raise the lever to the next higher notch, but doing this raises the deck to a full 2.5 inches which just a bit too high for me...I really want it at about 2.25 inches. I'm puzzled by the positioning of the lift lever stop because it's utterly useless here...the situation is similar, although not as much of a problem for my 38 inch deck (where luckily the extreme setting of the stop provides a satisfactory mowing height). Wondering if others have encountered this?

Red, yellow, pink, black, silver, NICad plated........ the clutch springs came in whatever color the spring manufacturer delivered and they came made to IH factory specs for wire diameter, length, etc. The significance of the color with respect to stiffness was born out of the aftermarket pulling industry, yellow, red, Glencoe field cultivator spring, etc.

Clutch spring color, while interesting conversation, won't end in any "concrete" answer....too many variables. It's like saying all Cub cadets shipped with Armstrong tires........except for the ones that shipped with Firestone or Good Year.........but every Cub cadet left the factory with IH spec'ed and approved tires that, in practice/application, served the exact same purpose.

I chalk those details up to random manufacturer/supplier changes and let them go at that, because even the correct police won't find the "correct" answer to the clutch spring color question..........

.....a part unnecessary on a HYDRO, I might add!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back