• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 05, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlspicer

displayname
jlspicer
Frank broke it..........
Then Jeff broke it..........

a---allalone.gif
lol.gif

Everyone's out enjoying the nice, holiday weekend. Even Harry!

Charlie - coming right along I see. Before you know it you're gonna have everything.

Dennis and Bob - sorry I'm a little late getting back here, but I still think the Quiet Line Series was done a bit different from the others. Dennis, you mentioned white paint, which got me thinking the dash pedestal is white so it was not assembled at the time the yellow was painted. I recall the steering column on my 1459 being black all the way down to the box and the box was yellow.
Bob - what color are the other parts of your clutch assembly? I'll bet the pressure plates are black?? And if so, to me that's key that these parts were assembled after the painting of the frame. Still think there were alot a changes with the Quiet Line series.

HARRY - The white paint run was on a 1963 Cub Cadet... aka Original... just white on the hood & wheels on those, and attachments, and seems like the frame cover on the very frt of the tractor. Shouldn't have been any white paint on the steering pedistal, but there was... a white paint run!

Knowing how IH did things, it makes perfect sense to me that LVL started having more parts painted by suppliers and they just painted stuff in-house that they made... like the frame, rearend housing, steering pedistal, etc. Masking parts for painting is a tremendous waste of time, takes time to mask, then wastes more time pealing the masks off. Kohler could have painted the engines purple on Q/L's, since it was hidden from view by the side panels.

CHARLIE - That's some REALLY dense storage area you have there. Last place I worked had an Automated Storage & Retrieval System that would have been perfect for you, stuff had to fit in plastic tote bins about the size of a laundry basket, and the system held something over a thousand of them. They tore the system down and scrapped it all, was maybe 5-6 yrs old. They had just gotten all the bugs worked out of it when I started there. You could pick orders to ship all day and never have to leave the operator's platform that was maybe 4 ft X 6 ft and elevated 3-4 ft off the ground.

John L - well, as far as I know there is no "re-set". I guess you'll have to buy a new one if you want to start all over. If you hook it up direct to a battery I suspect it will be a long time to get back to 0 hour.

Dennis and Bob - I really thought Bob's other drive line parts would be black. This makes me think the clutch spring was red at the time of original factory assembly. Everything must have been painted "before" assembly and the spring was red. Sorry Dennis, but it was IH's answer to no more paint runs.

John
AKA Ferris Buellers Day Off you could put it up on blocks and put it in reverse for awhile!
err.gif

Actually you will probably have to replace it.

Hydro Harry, So what happens after 600 hours? That would sound like some kind of gimmick, lol!

Oh boy,....correction time/lesson coming,....

Says here in black and white, that the Maintenance Minder can be reset at any time. Maybe this is long forgotten? Can't see IH printing and information that is not true,.....

My info comes from the Sales Know-How Product Guide/ International Harvester Outdoor Power.

Cub Cadet Lawn & Garden Tractors. "The Quiet Ones".

Form No. EPFS 2716C 10/74 Lithographed in United States of America

Wow, John, this one I gotta see! My way has been to hook it to a battery and let it tick away - for days, weeks, sometimes months.
happy.gif

John - now you got everyone's curiosty (especially Frank's) stirred up. We gotta see that Sales Guide.

Hydro Harry, Frank- On page 8 is the title: More of what's new in "The Quiet Line". Discussions written here are about the features of the QL models, some of which are standard equipment, and other features that are optional. Continuing over to page 9, is a caption of the Maintenance Minder which it titled: Dash panel includes Maintenance Minder as standard.

Here is the paragraph describing the above Maintenance Minder:

"This is a real convenience for owners who want to be sure they preform regular maintenance work at recommended intervals. The meter registers up to 600 hours, and can be re-set at any time. Now you can stress the importance of maintenance to your customers by showing them how important IH thinks it is".

That's what is written, and why I asked the board on how to re-set my meter on my 1450. I have a spare meter and was looking it over this afternoon. Not too sure it even works, but I was trying to guess at how one would re-set the unit. I hope that helps you to locate and find the info I have. One day, I hope to figure out how to resize my pictures so I can post here. So, over at the other forum My-such and such, you may find a picture of the cover of this info in a certain 1450 thread, I believe.

We have a (slim) chance. Wasn't it Bill J. that dissected one? Or maybe Jeremiah?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Oh, P.S. : I hauled a 1450 with a Johnson Workhorse Loader home yesterday. Nice loader - sad 1450. I'm wondering if maybe the loader should go onto the 149 that's sitting out back doing nothing. The loader's controls are on the left, the 1450's f/w on the right. The 149's f/w being on the left --- comments?
happy.gif

Wow Charlie, looking great. A local store went out of business and sold all the shelving recently and it reminded me of your whole store buy.

They look right at home.

Dennis, sad to hear your past company was so wasteful. Alot of good engineer goes right in the smelter these days...

HARRY, BOB - The ONLY way a CC 1000 would get black parts like the engine, drive shaft, clutch, etc. would be the same way my 72 did... The OWNER painted them black. IH never did, they painted yellow and white, then red for a couple years. Never black. During the early MTD days, a lot of service parts were painted black, as were the chassis of red tractors built for IH dealers, but the yellow/white tractors built for CC dealers were still all yellow & white.

And the answer to paint runs was electrostatic painting equipment. And when painting individual parts, you run just as high a risk of paint runs as you do painting assemblies. Keep in mind, those people had to paint several HUNDRED tractors in an eight hour shift... or paint thousands of individual parts. Which would you rather do? I could see IH LVL buying parts painted by the supplier before assembly, but NOT painting piece parts in-house before assembly. IH was a TRACTOR & implement mfg, not a painting company. There IS such a thing as the thickness of painted surfaces throwing off precision fits of machined parts and assemblies too.

NIC B. - Actually, my last employer found out the same thing FARMALL did back in the late 1970's & early 1980's, that they couldn't afford to FILL UP those Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems. The last 3 yrs I worked at FARMALL, I was responsible for keeping the right stuff in a dedicated ASRS at FARMALL that had 3072 storage bays with over half a million cubic feet of volume. Biggest advantage I had over Anyone else in my position was I had a daily computer report that told me what exactly down to the size and brand of tire I was short for the next week. I finally got inventory down to less than a HALF A DAY's supply on the more popular items of tires & rims. I had several parts I made over 400 inventory turns a year on, with only 225 production days in that year.

The last company I worked at was working on creating a new Just-in-Time inventory system that would reduce inventory from the 17-18 turns per year I was getting down to 40-50+ per year. That was going to save the company Millions of Dollars in inventory carrying costs, so scrapping the little ASRS was actually a good thing, made room for a robot to be installed to feed parts into one of our machining cells.

Dennis - the fire wall on a Quiet Line is all black. Sure seems to me if IH didn't paint black then it must have been painted by the supplier, and I suspect the same thing of the clutch assembly, except the spring was red from that supplier.

John L - I think we're gonna discover it was a Marketing error. They are well known to air brush details incorrect in pictures so doesn't surprise me they would get the MM info incorrect. Heck, it's called an Hour Meter in the parts listing.

HARRY - I bought paint at FARMALL. I bought 2150 red, 935 white, a little 483 yellow, I even bought some "special orange & green paint" for some special order tractors for a HUGE carrot farmer out in California. And later on, I bought semi-gloss black, I forget IH's number for that... because on the 3088/3288/3488/3688 & 5X88's the chassis was painted black and all the sheet metal was the New E-coat red.

I could see LVL farming out the firewall to an outside stamper to have it painted black.

But I think I'd have to have more proof that the clutch & driveshaft were bought "assembled" than a red spring on a black driveshaft & clutch on a tractor that was painted yellow & white from 1974 till 1980.

Back