• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydro-
Thanks for reminding me about the manual and the info it mentions regarding the 'notch' in the piston. I forgot about that info...

I have a off-topic <font color="119911">140</font> that had one of those .003 pistons in it before I rebuilt it about two years ago. As you elude to, that .003 piston is still a factory original bore. That tractor got a "every nut and bolt gone over" style resto and now sits comfortably in the garage waiting for some snow-blading activities. I'd post some pics of it, but Charlie might tip over in his chair and bonk his head if I do that here.

BACK UNDER EDIT: Guess I did post a pic of it here: https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/46301/214226.html?1304082255 (scroll down to bottom of page)

Don-
Sorry, I forgot that the brake-style PTO doesn't have that center button. Nothing is missing from my PTO, it just bottomed out as Matt said because of the missing brake material.

ok i got my answer on the frame question i asked below

i need the dimensions for a steering column for a cub 100
or what other column would work on a 100
i think that it should be about 25.5"?
thanks

Art - so your piston is facing the correct direction with the notch toward the flywheel.

Dennis and Mike - did you guys catch the info from the manual? The notch faces the flywheel?

Paul B - did you happen to see Keith O's question? I'd also like to know what the "(HVC)" in the Kind Code list means for those models. Can't really figure it out.

Harry, I searched it and came up with this from 2009 (HVC likely means Home Vehicle Compliant. HVC is shown only on the Quiet Lines models, which were intended to comply with proposed congressional legislation concerning suburban noise pollution. The legislation was drawn up and proposed in committee hearings but never enacted. However, IH was ready if it had been.)

Harry, Got it!! Thanks. :cool:

We used to call the .003 over pistons, "OOPS Pistons"... If you missed the measurement or just needed a little more to correct an error and not waste all your time and energy... I'll bet the factory did the same!

Harry

I have never seen/heard the actual meaning for HVC as applied to the QL's, just some speculation as to it meaning, but what Keith O came up with is as good as any I've seen/heard.

Paul B and Keith O - I agree that (HVC) could seem to indicate Home Vehicle Compliant, but Keith found that based on info I guess dated 2009 and that's along while after the Quiet Line production. Doesn't seem like that would have been in the works for 20 years (but we do know how the law makers are sometimes. I did a little searching my self but could only come up with details on High-Value Criminal for (HVC).

Mike F - yes the manual makes it sound like the factory had a method to resolve a bore issue up to .003. Also the rings are supposedly the same as on the STD piston. When I got my .003 it came with the rings. I don't recall looking to see if the cylinder head gasket area was stamped .003, and I don't think I was aware or really realized we should look for that.

Frank C - what type of piston did your K341A have originally? The Type A, C or D? And which are you installing?

This is the threads I found , Maybe you guys can remember something else about HVC.
Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:00 am:

HVC? Good question?

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine) (Fcurrier) on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 06:34 am:

That HVC from the last page might be some kind of Code. H V Code. There's something to think about this weekend. It's always nice to see the original prices on these old Cubs, and to think about what those prices meant back then. Looks like a 1650 sold for more than a new Volkswagen. Have a great weekend, everyone. Still raining, here.

Myron Bounds (Mbounds) on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:43 am:

Frank C: HVC likely means Home Vehicle Compliant. HVC is shown only on the Quiet Lines models, which were intended to comply with proposed congressional legislation concerning suburban noise pollution. The legislation was drawn up and proposed in committee hearings but never enacted. However, IH was ready if it had been.

By Tom Hoffman (Thoffman) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 04:50 am:

Charlie, OK I'm a dope. What is the (hvc)?

Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 05:34 am:

Tom H.
That was brought up years ago and I don't think anyone came up with the right definition that I remember.
Maybe High Volume Cub?

Dennis,
Thanks for the piston info, some of that I didn't know. But I do know that domed pistons have to be installed a certain way, that's obvious. BTW, the Chevy engine with the same block design as the 348 is the infamous 409 (my era).

But I'm trying to understand the pistons in my K321. Type A piston has no identifier and can be installed either way. Therefore, I assume it's machined "round". Type C & D have identifiers and must be installed correctly. Therefore I assume they must be machined "cam shaped"? If so, is one piston type better than another?

Keith O - sorry when you mentioned 2009 I thought you were referring to legislation pending in 2009. I see now you were referring to Frank C's post in 2009. Sorry about that. Now, I wonder what Frank remembers.

Norm B - yes I wonder myself if one of the piston styles, A, C or D may be better than the other. I seem to recall when I got my .003 that I had a choice of styles (maybe it was old and new) and I choose the new style that was described as a "Mali" (or some similar name). I believe I also had to use the new style rod since it was a new style piston. I don't know if Mali was the style, manufacturer for Kohler, or what the name meant. Also, I believe after I got it we determined it was the style D piston referred to in the manual. Hope others can fill in details on old and new and Mali, etc.

Good morning!
Harry: The piston that came out of the K341:
252890.jpg

Type C if I'm not mistaken - again. I was sure that I remembered reading that the notch faces the front of the engine BUT since the valves are in the front of the engine and my manual says "Assemble the piston to the rod so the arrow on the piston (when so marked) faces away from the valves", I was mistaken. Good thing we have a great system of checks and balances, here!
I'll go high end on the rod, piston and rings next month. With me wanting to put the piston in wrong, this engine will need all the help it can get! My "cheap" 169 is up to just under $850 now (including some "bling", I must admit". It's providing a pleasant diversion to winter, and making Ryan's price look better all the time!!
happy.gif

NORM - The "408" was a typo that escaped me. I knew it was a 409... She's SO fine ya know!

There were two brothers who tractor pulled from Prophetstown, IL back in the 1960's & early 1970's. One brother had a Massey-Harris #55 with a pair of 427 chevies, and most nights his biggest competition was his brother with a W9 Farmall with a pair of 409's. Their pit partner was Bill Newlon who ran 1710 CID Allison V12 powered Minny's, His first tractor was a U, and around 1970-71 he bought our neighbor's G1000 Minny at their auction and later that summer I saw it pull with it's new Allison engine.

HARRY - Your piston is a MAHLE, http://www.mahle.com/MAHLE/en/Home_EN

And according to Kohler, the flywheel end of the motor is the "front", IH just mounted it in CC's backwards.

I bet my #72 is "HVC" compliant. When it runs ALL the neighbors within a mile can hear it...
Shift.gif

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

I hope that 850$ includes the purchase price of the 169 ? A shop day for me ; lets see how much trouble I can get in lol.

Frank- With your time and parts you are putting in that tractor, and having more of the correct parts than mine (correct air cleaner and muffler), you will surely have a good candidate to sell for sure (if that's your plans, if not, you will have a very nice 169 to play with!)
beerchug.gif

Yes, Don, including the original $180.
Ryan, this will never be a "100 pointer" and when it's up and running it won't be for sale. I'll put a beloved 123 or 2 out for adoption, I think.
Harry: I looked at Mahle (thank you, Dennis). So much for my "top end" comment!
Temps are climbing, optomism is returning!
happy.gif

Frank C

I will be just as happy as you when that 169 runs , I know how happy you will be.I wired the new VR that Charlie sent me and now installing the point saver that I got from Kirk engines. I will give another try at getting my 125 running this morning.I hope it soon gets above freezing .

Dennis - thanks for the Mahle name and link, and pointing out FLY is the front per Kohler. Things are starting to add up.

Frank - yes, style C and now that I see your old one I believe that is what my new one looked like. I also see the Kohler Service manual notes the "style D has been used on the K181, K301 and K321". So this sounds like the D was not used on the K341, at least at the time they printed the manual. I now wonder/suspect the A, C and D were from different suppliers (hmm, where have I heard that before).
And hey, as for the top end, high end, just put a little more "bling" into it - remember the ole saying "Bling what a feelin"?

Don T - ok, now how about the carb? Did you get the spot on the floor to disappear?

Harry Bursell

Well I did find the leak; It was the gas shut off tap.I will need to dig through some in my parts box and install the rubber O Ring.working at the 125 I have got to timing.

Got 2-3 inches of snow last night with ice (freezing rain) on top of it. Discovered today that I need weights on the 147 for moving it- doing regular snow is fine, but it was so heavy I did a whole lot of slipping. (currently running no weights). It worked, but not ideal.

Frank- I hope you do keep your 169 and have fun with it!

I'll second Harry's curiosity...what kind of "bling" are we putting on this 169? I'm guessing a three point hitch? (I just put one on #4...it'l be in the garden next spring! )

Latest posts

Back