• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Art-

I don't think I've seen a notch like that before, but I did buy some aftermarket valves once that looked like those.

One more thing....

252843.jpg

252844.jpg

Can these brake-style PTOs be relined? As you can see, the brake lining on this one is paper-thin...

Home of the Plow Special
Art
BTDT ; brake pads work great . My 129 loader has that mod a few years ago. Saved a few $$ over a new part . I think I used a front brake pad because of the curve and glued it fast. Wear a respirator and grind the material to get a good fit for clearance. Worked for me !

You will have to use hight temp glue !

Art and all: I think that notch on the piston is supposed to face the front of the engine. The one from the K341 had it.
happy.gif

Most anytime there is notch on a piston it goes towards the flywheel. Some even are marked with an arrow and FLY. As for the valves, just depends on who made them if they are marked or plain.

Mike , Art

I see a score mark near the adjusting screw for the pto brake and wonder what made that mark. Art could you post a picture of the pto side ?

I think the glue I used to stick the brake material fast was made by locktite.

But I think this glue would work.http://www.masterbond.com/tds/supreme-10ht

I've always heard the notch faces the front of most engines. I'd like to know what difference it makes.

NORM - There's many possible reasons for the piston being marked for correct installation. First is pistons are not totally round. They're machined out of round so when they heat up to operating temp and expand they are round. And since one side of the piston in a Kohler gets hotter than the other they want the correct side towards the hot side of the bore. A better description of the K341 piston may be it's "Cam shaped".

Also, many pistons have the wrist pin bore machined off-center to give the rod & crank throw better leverage on the power stroke of the engine. The M&W Add Power pistons in Dad's old '51 FARMALL M have the wrist pins offset about 1/2 inch in a four inch dia. piston. If they get installed backwards the conn rod would probably hit the bottom of the cylinder sleeve.

And since a Kohler uses a flat top piston it doesn't matter, but domed pistons have to be installed properly or the dome hits the bottom surface of the cyl head. Best example of a Domed piston is the pistons in a 348 and 408 Chevy engine. The top surface was at about a 40 degree angle. Did very bad things to conn rods at high RPM.

Don T., Thanks for the info. I agree, that looks like a good choice.

The notch in the piston, on american v-8's goes to the front, which is opposite the flywheel. Dennis is correct. The wrist pin is offset to keep the piston from "knocking / slapping" in the bore. I can't remember seeing one on a single cylinder engine. Not saying they don't do it, just don't remember one! CRS??? LOL..

Don-
Since this lining on the PTO "brake" is so thin (literally as thick as a sheet of paper) I think the brake-plate has just started bottoming out, so the PTO's center button is what ground that 'score mark' into it.

Home of the Plow Special

Art I think you are missing a piece . There should be a plate between the pto and the brake (13)that has three fingers on it that set in groves in the pto body. This plate is held on the pto with a clip (29) .There is no centre button with a brake style pto.
1a_scratchhead.gif

252847.gif

I find these work some good lol. mine has wore very little in the last two years. The clip and washer (28,29) should lay in the recess of (13,31) and should not touch. Maybee your PTO was out of alignment ?

No, there is a center button...it sticks out past the brake disc and has a snap ring groove on it that holds the brake onto the clutch. It doesn't look like the center button in the other clutches, but it still has one.

Matt Gonitzke

item number 14 is what you are referring to as a button . It is used only to hold the plate 13 in place and compress the pto spring. I just don`t see what could be causing the wear (scar) that I see on Arts break .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don, as I just said in my other post, it sticks out beyond brake disc, so when the pad wears down, the center button will be touching the brake pad instead of the brake disc.

I am looking for the dimentions of the steering shaft hole on a short tunnel narrow frame tractor
Converting a frame from a102 to this style
Also need this size of the wiring hole
Basically I need to know where the holes are

Thanks

Oops - interesting what you find sometimes when you read the Kohler Service Manual.

On page 11.8 of the manual Kohler states:

"The style C piston is to be installed with the notch facing the flywheel". (It also notes this piston is only used on the K341 engine).

"The style D piston is to be installed with the arrow of the Fly mark pointing towards the flywheel".

And for what it's worth, and since I used a .003 oversized piston in my K341, it also lists this info which I had not seen/heard before:
"In order to insure a correct fit between the piston and cylinder we utilize two cylinder bore sizes at the factory. Cylinder blocks are honed to the Standard (STD) size or .003 oversize with corresponding pistons. Blocks using the oversized are stamped on the cylinder head gasket surface with .003. It is essential that .003 pistons are used in these blocks to prevent possible failure".

I've never seen/heard anyone on here mention they have a .003 oversized cylinder. I don't recall seeing it on my cylinder and had always thought I used the .003 piston due to the cylinder dimension measurements and since it was available from Kohler. (and also for what it's worth - mine doesn't seem to vibrate as much as many other K341's I've seen, and I certainly don't hear any knocks that I can notice).

Couple other things I'd like to add to the below to help avoid concerns or confusion.

There is also a Style A piston used on all Kohler K series engines. This piston is identifed as having a full skirt, and no installation identifier - it can be installed either direction.

The Style C piston has a partial skirt and a raised criss-cross design around the the piston pin bore.

The Style D piston has a partial skirt and a rectangular recessed area around the piston pin bore.

I certainly hope everyones pistons are installed in the correct direction if you have a skirt.

Latest posts

Back