• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 21, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig, I was looking at a 1976 IH power lawn pricelist and was wondering if you have any photos of a wittek golf ball retriver mounted on a cub?

220024.jpg

220025.jpg

Kraig,Think I found problem!
DON,THANKS! This was her 2nd round in 4 weeks.

ROD

JEFF B - The 982 has a 4 gal tank, I fill it almost full when I start mowing, maybe 3-1/2 gal, and if I mow the whole yard I'll have to add maybe another gallon to finish. There may be a half gallon left but the gauge reads empty, never really measured, but I have run the 982 for a half hour towing the cart & other light jobs on the "empty tank". It may actually only burn four gal, maybe a bit less.

I had a home-made 8+ quart tank on my old 129 and mowing with it I could mow everything on 3 to 3-1/2 gal. When I had the 5-quart tank on the K241 in the 72 I'd have to fill up about three times to mow the whole yard, so I figured 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 gal. SON made a BIG fuel cell for the 72 when We put the K321 in the 72, held 2-7/8ths gallons. I ran that for about a year and one of the mounts cracked/broke which would have required welding on the tank itself. I'd have to add some gas, maybe half to 3/4 gallon to finish mowing with that tank. I replaced it with a new 8 quart plastic replacement tank. Mowing with that tank, it always seemed I'd run out of the second tank full with about 5-10 minutes of mowing left. I try not to ever run out of gas, the engines run lean, and then die under load, that hot soak is kinda hard on the exh valves & rings.

When SON & I used to both mow, me on the 10 HP 72, SON on the 129 he'd have enough gas to finish, but I'd put a splash of gas in to finish trimming around all the bushs. I could always get about 2 to 2-1/2 hrs of running on that 5 quart tank of gas and we'd get done in 1-1/2 hrs, maybe a bit more but I had some steep slopes to mow along the ditch by the road and needed more gas to prevent running out.

So all the various tractors have used close to the same amount of gas, the 129 w/44A deck being most fuel efficient, 72 & 38" deck a close second, the 982 w/50C a more distant third. But the 982 is quite a bit heavier, has hydraulics, elec. PTO, but it rides so nice & smooth, plenty of room to stretch out, it was the only thing I mowed with last summer.

The long term plan is to rebuild the K241 that came out of the 72 and install it in the 70, with it's slower second gear it "SHOULD" be the fuel economy king of the fleet with the 38" deck off the 72. The 72 has the fast 2nd, which IMHO is just a bit too fast to mow, I've mowed a LOT with it in second gear but it just doesn't do as nice a job as I want.

Wayne S: in the "Product Model # block, enter: Cub Cadet. When the popup comes up just click on Cub Cadet. Voila! there are the Original parts...Now that wasn't too hard...
proud.gif

Dennis Frisk

What would be interesting would be to see what a 782 diesel would use for fuel to mow your two acres. I would think it would take a lot less fuel compared to a gas tractor. I have a 44" IH deck here and I`am think I should try my 1512 diesel out mowing my lawn,keep track of fuel and time running and then, compare that to the 125 that I`am rebuilding for gas usage. Those of us that like to keep our property's nice neat and well kept do spend some $$ to do so in a season. I did have a blast last time I used the O with the timed deck to mow my grass and I found it took me longer , but the tractor did a nice job mowing. I found I could turn right sharper that a left turn because the front tires will drag on the mower brackets on the original. My biggest problem here is my better half has planted so many small plants and trees that there is so much turning and backing up that I tend to mow it one way most of the time.I tried hauling the sweeper once and well it does not like to be backed up so it stays in the Cub shed #1. I like to see a lawn that is well kept. Later Don T

DONALD - My Buddy mows about the same sized yard as my yard, but fewer trees/bushs to trim around, plus a large open field so probably close to five acres total. He uses a 5020 Allis-Chalmers, http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/9/192-allis-chalmers-5020.html with either a 60 or 72" wide mower, think it's 72"... And he says he can mow twice on one tank of fuel. So I think a little water cooled diesel should mow at least twice as much on a similar amount of diesel fuel as a gas engine tractor could on gas.

Diesel engines get REAL stingy on fuel at low loads where gas engines really need to run at around 75-80% of full rated load to make similar HP/Hours/ volume of fuel. #2 diesel fuel has more BTU of heat energy that gasoline by about 13%, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent The fact that the diesel can run at ridiculously low fuel/air ratios where a gas engine has to run at a consistent ratio is why.

I'd like to add a diesel to the fleet, but not sure it would be a Cub Cadet. Might be something bigger, I always thought these IH 254's were cute, http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/1/314-international-harvester-254.html But then, I have a t-shirt with one of THESE on it plus a 982.... http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/9/396-international-harvester-5488.html Plus all the parts, operators, & service manuals, so I might just look for one of those!
ihrotate.gif

Thanks Don and Myron. I found it. I actually entered cub cadet original and it didn't work. I didn't think of trying just cub cadet.

I don't own an original and was curious from a recent post asking about the coiled roll pins in the driveshaft. The member stated the size as 3/16" and knowing the later models used 1/4" I wanted to check it out. I guess when IH increased hp they needed to beef up other aspects.

I'm still learning.....thanks again.

Dennis Frisk

If I had a large area to mow I think I would go with a 234 International Harvester Compact Diesel with a PTO driven for the rear finish mower, but I don`t have the area to turn that tractor around with all the shrubs. That 234 would be slick with a loader on it. I would not want a standard and it would have to be a hydro for my needs. I know that I can put over 16 hrs on a tank of fuel with my 1512. I do have a hr meeter that I bought in Maine and I want to install that just for maintenance purposes.
old.gif

There was a 234 in the selling section for $3200.00 I believe. Nice neat looking tractor,but to far away for me!

DONALD - There's a cemetary that has a 234 about 5-6 miles from me that they use to pull a wagon running gear with large (500+ gal?) water tank to water trees/bushs around the cemetary.. Full size running gear like Steve B patterned his gear & home-made hoist after. They drain the tank and put the tank & tractor inside every winter but it sits OUTSIDE ALL SUMMER LONG. And considering that still looks in good shape. Someday I should stop and take a closer look!

They made 234's in both Hydro & GD, 2WD & 4WD.

Not sure what the next addition to my fleet would be. I'd sure like to find the '54 Super M-TA Dad bought in about '60 or '61 and traded for the 450 Farmall in '65. I have NO idea what it's serial number was, and pretty sure it's been repainted again in the last 45 yrs... it was repainted early spring of '64 with a white grill like my Super H has and the M had. I still have the picture here somewhere that I took after I just got home from the paint shop on it! But if I could find it again, it'b be in my shop in a heart-beat! It sure seemed like a really B-I-G tractor when Dad & I took to the field plowing that spring! Unforunately I didn't get to run it much until later that spring/summer when the OTHER brand diesel tractor was finally gone. I'll just say I learned to dislike 2-cylinder tractors at a very young age!

You guys wanna move that 234 over to the IH Cub Cadet's larger relatives section!
bash.gif

Do that and I'll show ya what a REAL mowing TRACTOR is.

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

You can`t blame me for breaking this site this time.
lol.gif

Kraig-
Shame on you... How can we have a golf-theme without an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Sand Trap Rake???

220055.jpg

Latest posts

Back