• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Darryl, a few days ago I heard on the radio that a Darryl Schmidt had won $1,000,000.00 in a Minnesota lottery. I immediately thought of you. Turns out it was a different Daryl Schmidt, one with only one "r" in his name. How many of your friends and relatives called to congratulate you?
rolleyes.gif

as a constellation i am asking everyone to send me $10
so far the response is not so good.

One diff between that guy and me is that he bought a ticket.

Darryl, I believe you mean consolation, unless you're referring to stars...
1a_scratchhead.gif
Actually he didn't buy the ticket either, it was a last minute gift from his daughter-in-law.

Hydro drive completed except for the keys in the universals. It seems fairly easy to pivot so I'm going to go with a linkage system for the steering, I going to have to sit down with some beer(s) and descide how I'm going to mount a snowplow on the front, it's starting to look a bit long, hmm.

112898.jpg

112899.jpg

112900.jpg

I am not familiar with the hydros at all, but does that drive shaft spin at engine RPM?

Mat: Are you thinking of a snowplow because you used your snowthrower shaft in the driveline?
happy.gif

Brennan, yes it does.

Matt, how are you going to control the second hydro's trunion? Is that a QA snowthrower driveshaft?

Mat, how does that bottom pivot allow the front and rear frames to "twist" independently, like when going over a bump? (I'm having troubles visualizing it.) Is it a pillow block or something else?

Brennan, yes, the drive shaft is at engine speed, the IH hydrostatic drive is one of the best bits of engineering IH ever produced, it eventually found it's way into their line of bigger farm eq.
112933.jpg

That drive shaft has made 4 military moves across Canada and each time they packed it up my wife asked if I really needed it, I showed it to her last night and she just smiled
err.gif

Kraig, initial plan is to use an aircraft style flex control cable assembly to tie the trunions together then foot control the front.
yup the bottom pivot is a standard self aligning pillow block bearing it will twist about 15 deg, next job is the trunion control

I was just wondering about a possible vibration at extreme angles coming from the U-Joints. Maybe cut down a CV-Joint from a car.

I mulled that over when I was setting it up, the unit is spaced evenly on each side of the pivot point so each universal gets about half of the turn angle, there should be enough room to change it out if the test run fails

Mat..Glad to see someone operating both hydros with a push pull cable. I've been wanting to do a similar project but wasn't sure if the cables would keep them in sync. I have most everything to build one. I've seen every other possible way of running two hydros but do not care for them. Just personal preference, nothing against them. I want to build a mini log skidder. We have an IH 434 we use but a lot of spots are a little narrow. A little articulating Cub skidder would be perfect. Very interested in how it works out for ya.

Another thing I want to try is double push pull cables for steering. It would cut the cost down from what I would spend on power steering.

Mat, actually the hydro was in the full size <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> tractors first, at least in prototype form. The first production Cub Cadet with a hydro was the 123 in 1967.

112938.jpg

Kraig - Do You have a picture of the HT-340? IH's turbine powered hydrostatic drive tractor? I have a pic in 150 yrs of IHC says it was displayed at University of Nebraska July 20, 1961. 80 HP turbine, weighed 90 pounds, 21 inches long X 13 in. in dia. Be a nice fit in a WF CC Hydro, Let's see...instead of a 129, it'd be a 809.

Thanks Kraig - Son & I saw that thing at the RPRU in Penfield several years ago. We went there to do One thing for sure, see the Last Farmall, saw the HT-340, and talked to Dan H for an hour or so. It was a real good day!
That HT-340 sure was little for boasting 80 HP.

Kraig
That would be a nice one to post for the 50 th anniversary edition and make it a red one with white side panels, trimmed in yellow. and white fenders.

Latest posts

Back