• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 04, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh the Hy-tran issue,
When I changed the hydro oil in my 123 last fall I was able to get the "old style" oil needed for the older cub cadets.
The "new style" hydro oil used in the newer MTD built cub cadets is quite spendy.
I have the need for both the old Hy-tran and new Hy-tran, and I make sure to store them sepreatly as not to misakenly use the wrong oil in the cub I am changeing the hy-tran in.
Also I was informed that the Hy-tran should be changed every 50 hours run time, seems a bit often to me, at the price of replaceing the hydrostact pump, the price of the oil is cheap.

Make sure to tell your cub cadet dealer which modle cub cadet you need the Hy-tran for, and double check the container.
I was told by my cub cadet dealer you do not want to put the "old style" Hy-tran in a newer cub or put the "new style" Hy-tran in a older cub cadet. Not compatable with the pumps, seals, from what I gather.

I think we're all getting Hy Tran and Cub Cadet hydraulic fluid confused.

AFAIK, Case/<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Hy Tran of any type is fine - Hy Tran, Hy Tran Ultra and Hy Tran Plus. This is sold by Case/<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> dealers. Ken wouldn't have sold me Hy Tran Ultra if it wasn't backwards compatible
wink.gif

Cub Cadet branded hydraulic fluid is the one that comes in a version for the older Cub Cadets and an incompatible version for new Cub Cadets.

I'd say we should put that in the FAQ but as usual, nobody'd bother to read it...

Ya know, makes me wonder why we even HAVE a search function here...<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

<font color="0000ff">By "The Apostle"....With 2 NEW Trike Motors, and still looking for an IH 4300 EAGLE Brougham Semi..... (Kupdike) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:45 am:</font>

Hytran History 101....(cliff notes verison). Hytran was introduced in 1958. It has been improved thru the years several times as refining and additive packages have been developed.

After IH & Case merged in 1985, Hytran Plus was developed. This was formulated to be compatible in IH AND Case equipment. Hytran Ultra was devloped when a new additive package (corrosion, anti foaming at high temps) was made in the 1990's.

Hytran Ultra, Hytran Plus and Hytran can all be used in Cub Cadets. Dexron Type A, Type F or ATF CAN NOT be used with out damage to the trans.

HyTran Ultra is availible in regular, cold temp and synthetic formulations. These three versions should cover EVERY operating application a Cub Cadet could be exposed to.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Bill C. -

I've used PolyView for years, but I also have MS Digital Image Suite 2006. Telling it I want 500 pixels on the long side of the picture produced the following - looks good to me...

33296.jpg

For a file size of 47,327 bytes. Well within the limit.

Well, it is good to know that I'm not the only one that is CRS with this Hytran issue.

Different GTs, require different transmission fluid, an example is that an old AC/Simplicity Hydro requires Dexron. Bryan's repost of Ken U's post is the first time that I have read it as the transmission will be damaged, not the Hydro.

Have I finally read this right?
Dave

About the price of a new KT-17, small engine warehouse has them for 2,190.
dunno.gif

Shortblock is a little less.

What are we considering "old" and "new" Cub Cadets? IH-built vs. CCC built? I think the dealer once told me that a different fluid is used for the 3000 series, so is that what we're considering "new" and everything built before that is "old"?

Myron -

Too bad they only show 3 blades of grass for the Cub Cadet product
wink.gif

David P -

You should hang out here more often
wink.gif

Sigh, I guess with Charlie AWOL, I gotta do all the searching for people...<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

<font color="0000ff">By "The Apostle"....Looking for an IH 4300 EAGLE Brougham Semi..... (Kupdike) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:18 pm:</font>

Oil facts 101......Hytran plus (if you can even find this) and Hytran Ultra are ok to use in the IH built Cub Cadets AND the CCC built units that call for hydraulic/transmission fluid.

The 2000 and 3000 series use an oil called "Drive System Oil". This is a synthetic product made by Shell oil?? for CCC. The drive system oil and hytran are NOT compatible!! The reason CCC switched to a synthetic is that the hydro units used today run at higher pressure than the older units.

In any case, DO NOT use: ATF, Dexron, Type A, Type F, or similar "hydraulic transmission" oils in ANY Cub Cadet. By doing so, you may save a few pennies, but you will surely wreck the hydro much faster, if not instantly...... <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Oils oil aint it?

Does any one know the best oil for air cooled Kohlers?

JUST KIDDING!! DO NOT ANSWER THAT

lol.gif

Matt D. -

Ya know SOMEONE's gonna...

Hytran Ultra My 125,100,71,original and the one and only answer: yes

What was it Harry used to say ?

Something like - "Some oil's better'n other. Any oil's better'n none ."

Transmissions: HYDRO and GRINDER BOXES

Please don't use in motors

Well I am tired of supporting the big oil companys, so I say we should all put on our thinking caps and come up with a natural, easy to produce/grow altnerate source of lubacation for our beloved cub cadets.

I know water dont work well, just look at the old 10hp sitting in my shed that had water in the crank case.

I know, how about soybean oil, how many beans will it take to produce a quart of oil?

Looking for ideas on how to attach a set of fenders to this, I would like to use the flat fenders that came off the tractor, I had to shorten the foot rests roughly 2 inches so the tires would clear.
33301.jpg

33302.jpg

33303.jpg

Hope to have it completed by spring plowday.
Would be intresting to see how it would handle a plow as it will go 12mph in 3rd gear and 8mph in 2nd gear.

Latest posts

Back