• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsdavis

displayname
jason davis
Morning all
Does anyone have the dimentions for a front mount blade.I think I remember someone had reproduced the front blade.
Shipping to my location is insane,i could reproduce it at work in the sheetmetal shop!Depending on cost!!

Posted on Friday, January 4, 2008 - 10:08 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found the fence pliers on the left to be very handy in rebuilding a set of tire chains. The top opening grips the links just right. The "dikes" were used to spread the link that attaches to the side links, making it easier to grab that link with the fence pliers.

Don - the pic is in the Toolbox, across the street (good memory - notice the date). Darn tools are never where you're working! I hung the chains up from a rafter so I could stand up and work on them. Good luck!
happy.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always the hard way!

Don- i had same problem with my chains - about half of cross chains were on wrong or got twisted prvious to me owning them. I hung them off back of ladder,used a tapered punch and hammerd it down thru 'Eye" of cross chain end link till it spread enuff to come loose. lined up right and closed with vice grips in about 4-5 squeezes per side. it took me hour to do one whole chain.
AND notice it has NOT snowed here yet enuff to plow;not even close. so the "plow on-NO snow" system of weather control is working just fine.
I bet if I put in a wood stove or similar,it would instantly get to 70 degrees and stay that way .hmmmmmm---

Richard Christensen (Rchristensen) Well you were on the right track, i just couldn`t see what was wrong This should be added to Fact above To take out a twist or in my case 12 i gathered the chain up like below and holding them like that turned what ever way that was needed to take out the twist.WOW thanks you put me on the right path and now i got some tools to put away.
Later Don T
old.gif

112466.jpg

Thanks just 1 more set to do. I did say i had tools to put away and just how do i explaine the hole in the wifs kindlin block. lol I have one to go and i think the second one will be a faster fix. And to think i used all them methods before to.Next post is when i`m done.
old.gif

112469.jpg

PAUL R. - Actually plastic flights should work better than steel I would think. I'll have to check Lundell out. Son's stil @ Nord, but He hasn't gotten them ALL straightened out yet. But He's working on them still.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) as it turned out i had to slide each link thats correct in a pile, when i found a link that was wrong i twisted the whole pile of links one way or the other to get that one right . open it up a check and the with out picking the chain up off the floor slide the links together again till i had a snarl. Thanks Guys your the best. REALY. wow,I have stopped for a cool one and then finish the other side. I`am thinking a 75# and a 25#lb IH weight on each tire and 14 psi. Later Don T
old.gif
Shift.gif

As it turned out it was the side chain that was twisted.

Most good places that sell chains also sell a tool for reworking them. Well worth the money! The small sheet metal ones will do cub size chains. Dennis's farmall needs the 24-30 inch landle model.

Dennis, bring those farmall chains on a nice warm day and I will build them up for you. Said that I would never get talked into that again too! Welding on every link takes a long time but is cheap as long as the labor is free. Wire is the only way to fly for this job

Didn't we used to call Steve "frosty" this time of year? I think it was his pre-cab days.

Lookin' good, Don. Twisted side links: whould'a thunk it?! I'd still like to have those front tires back! For wide fronts without ribs they're as good as you can get, IMHO. I might be able to dig back far enough to find out where they came from - ebay, for sure, Kenny Morrow? Whatever. Time to disconnect. Skype?
beerchug.gif

Well, I got the blower mounted (the rest of the way), the 1450 driveshaft conversion complete (NO vibration finally), the battery charged back up and the tractor up and running. Since we only have a 1/4-1/2" of snow, I found out that the blower works real well for blowing dust off the rafters of the shed. Well, I had to make sure it worked. Does anyone know how high a 149 should pick a QA42 off the ground. Mine was only about one inch, but I shortened the lift rod and have about 3"-4" now. Thanks, Nick

Well guys had a bear of a time putting the Plastic covered weights on and then a set of IH weights ,The 149 is geared to plow snow.54 " blade in the am if we have a brown day. Thanks to all. Later Don T
old.gif

112479.jpg

JERRY B. - I never even thought about welding the worn links up.
tomato.gif
I was thinking of replacing them with new cross chains....$$$$$$$$ I guess if I'm going to do that I better weld them up while there's still some steel left to weld to!

Your right though.....LOTS of little short 1 inch long beads...THOUSANDS of little short one inch long beads.....Wouldn't be a job I'd get done in an afternoon.

As SON & I used to rate things.....there's 6-pack jobs, 12-pack jobs.....Welding up those chains would take a couple CASES
beer2.gif
beerchug.gif

KENDELL - By Gosh I think Matt's Got it! Now if We can have Him squash it flat so We can see what the flat blank needs to look like....then We can cut it out.....but then how do We get it pulled out again?

I've seen some REALLY Obnoxious things done to steel, making auger flighting out of coils of strip steel is something I haven't seen done but ranks right up there with the worst of metal forming processes. You look at today's BIG grain augers, 10-12 inch diameter and 50-60 feet long is common and I've heard of 80 ft augers.....the flighting has to be well over 100 to 150 ft long in something like that.

Jerry,

"Frosty" was definately "pre-cab"......and not fun.

As of tomorrow at about noon it will be Mr. (Super) Plow......1872 from BB along with that nice big 54" blade gets to ride north to IL tomorrow!!!! Big Steve and Chris E. will be making the trip too, just for the fun.

Auger flighting:

I think I'd question the UHMW poly on an auger that turns as fast as a thrower does...I'd hate to have one of those bolts cut loose and try and shove some of that cap up the chute.....

"....Welding up those chains would take a couple CASES"

Denny-
Do you have an extra 220V outlet in the shop?

How about I load up the <font color="0000ff">MILLER</font> and show up at your house tomorrow? We can each start at the top of one wheel and see who finishes first.

Last guy done buys the beer!
beer2.gif

Don-
You now have a "SNOW MOVING MACHINE"!
thumbsup.gif

Steve-
How are we going to believe you if you don't post pics?
worthless.gif

Back