• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 02, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TED - I can only think of ONE TIME I've been inside the crankcase of a KOHLER engine and never replaced the conn. rod....And that was to remove the "Gernade Gears" from an engine I'd just completely rebuilt. Now I just leave them out from the start! And the percentage of replaced exh. valves is pretty high too.

Randy, I just noticed that there's a set of <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> wheel weights mounted on the inside of the rims on that 100, very nice!
happy.gif

Eddie B.
Oh I'm here.
I'm fighting a HUGE cold and to be honest, I feel better layin down, LOL
Besides, there's nothin goin on here that you can't handle.
thumbsup.gif

Randy J.
Welcome to the forum.
I also just approved you on the yahoo group too, but believe me, your better off right here. LOL
You have to be careful on Yahooie, they are crazy!
biggrin.gif

Charlie:
I've recalled the rescue squad...... We'll keep it quiet so ya can sleep
shhh.gif

POOR baby.........starve a cold, feed a fever.
.....eat pently of onions and garlic, wash you hands all the time. You well never have a sick moment. Excluding your mental health....thebiddaddydoctor!....
buttrock.gif

Randy,

Some times the S/N gets filled in with paint and grime. The last picture you posted is the right one for finding a serial number.

Dennis,
It is cheep insurance. Now that you mention it, I should have replaced the valves on my 100 that I had. 20/20 hind sight. I just might replace the valves on my KT17-1....

Why are gear drives better for pulling? Which model is best, (86,108,128,etc)

Glen,

Simple answer is, no waisted HP turning the hydro.
As far as to which modle is the best well that depends on which modle <u>you</u> have to build up/into a puller.

Glen C.-

Hydrostatic transmissions are a bit inefficient because a fair amount of the engine's power is converted to heat. (If you don't believe me, touch the rear trans cover of your 149 after you work it hard-- actually don't, I've gotten minor burns from doing this once...) Power is wasted when you transfer energy from a mechanical system to a fluid system and back to a mechanical system again, whereas a gear drive is mechanical only.

As an example, I had a 125 (12 h.p. hydro) which I plowed with at PD10 and couldn't keep up with everyone. At PD12 I used a 128 (12 h.p. gear drive) with which I was able to keep up with and gain on much larger hydro tractors. In fact my 128 has a lot more power than my 1450, which has a much newer motor and 2 more h.p.

Model doesn't make much of a difference, other than wide frames are stiffer than narrow frames. Horsepower is more important, a 128 should be able to out-pull an 86, and a 582 or 1806 should be able to out pull the 128. Which is why I'm building a cross between a 582 and an 1806 for the next plowday...
happy.gif

Glen,
Hydro's are inefficient. They burn up about 2 HP. A 12 HP Hydro gives you 10 HP to the wheels. I believe most pulling competitions have a max HP they allow you to run. For example 14 HP Hydro and 12 HP gear. I have attended some pulling competitions and I think a Hydro would pull better because you can vary the speed on the fly. However everyone uses gear drives so what do I know.

thanks, I'd like to get a 128, but I'm jes not rich enough now, Oh well. I also need to re-configure my storage options, my 149 is currently disabled, re painting rear wheel with a stubborn bead problem, so she is on jackstands in the driveway looking helpless, I almost feel bad for her, but I 'll get over it...
err.gif

I'm ready for snow, blade, blower, salt, and four shovels, now if it will freakin snow!!!
angry.gif
Charlie can relate, I'm sure (no offense Boss)

Speaking of engine power it seems that the Kohler engine has more torque than a Briggs & Stratton. My 104 will mow down high grass much easier than my JD with a 12hp B&S or should I say BS. imagine a hydro with a B&S and how big would the motor have to be to use it.

Charlie,
What is WGAFF?
confused.gif

I will probably go DUH after I hear it though.

No fuzzy stuff here. I for one have been lazy looking for things and needed a little check. If a person sits back and reads between the lines instead of getting mad they will learn something. Don't look for the easy way out all the time. If you ENJOY the FORUM then spend time looking through the different sections, You really will learn something. I don't post that much and probably am out of place speaking my 2cents but thats the way I see it. I have found things in different places after I have been there 2 or 3 times that I may not have seen the first time.
Rick

Besides that what a little ribbing between friends.

Terry - I was thinking it was 3 horse to run the hydro. That was brought up 6 - 7 years ago.

This weekend I plan on removing a hydro from a non running tractor. I want to look it over and test it to see what kind of shape its in. My plan is to possibly install it in my loader. The hydro in my loader needs to be rebuilt. I am wondering if there is anyway of testing hyros? Is there a place for a pressure gage on a non ported hydro? Would this tell me anything?

Latest posts

Back