• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 01, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwittman

displayname
Brian Wittman
While most of you are happily playing in the snow with your tractors in the snow, I am content to let the 1250 Nightmare sit in the shed until spring when there will be ample time for cruising once again.

Stay warm, be safe and have a Happy New Year.

Steve S. - thanks buddy, I'll give em a good bend! Really seems like most of em rub and just not havin that on fresh paint - if I ever get any!

Lewis P, and Craig C -

Went out and looked at the early 70 a little it on my way by (had another project going on) but - It DOES have the single casting finger on the top of the Nose piece. It also has fender washers holding the grille in... not original grille but they are IH bolts so I'd assume the washers are as well. Looked at the front axle - without sitting side by side I didn't see much difference. Will try to get some pictures later - Cub wouldn't roll for some reason. Had this earlier before putting in my shop - and then rolled when it warmed up - so I got about a quart of water out of the rearend. But now-- still not sure why it won't roll.

My 100 project is rolling along nicely - had to stop assembly today to paint IH bolts. But got rearend in, creeper installed, and many parts ready to paint black and white now.

John thanks for the report. From what I can tell the grille thing was only for a few hundred tractors. A former forum contributor has/had 65736 and that was a fender washers one too. What's your serial number? Do you have the original 7hp in it?

Here is a picture of the rear cover on 65459:
266164.jpg

john thanks for sharing your s/n was that tractor once in PA?

Here's a picture of an "R1" casting version 70 axle, the "thin" web one:
266170.jpg

and a closeup:
266171.jpg

This was from sn 66314 a 100 from NY

I don't know if it was ever in Pa. a Indiana buddy (Terry D) bought it from <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> in Wisconsin.

Now the original engine is in Indiana.. but I'll get it back!

Evening all. Curious if anyone has a pic of an Original with a hydro lift. Have surfed a good bit for one but nothing popping up. Thanks.

here is what I have.The cover plates have 2 extra hole in them also.I noticed the the clutch arm does not have a notch for the steering gear.

266181.jpg

Welll, it's Cub Cadets 2, Snow 0. Had the 108 w/QA-36 thower on it, did a stand up job. PLENTY of power throwing 10"+ of snow around.

John "B",
"and many parts ready to paint black and white". Are we making a red and white Cub Cadet?

Tom H... two different cubs. foot pegs and steering column on my 100... painting Tim Gipe's "CC"..... some other parts for the other section.
wink.gif

FRANK - I was actually kidding Tom H about over-heating his CC's engine. When it's really cold, single digit temps, these air-cooled Kohler's actually run too cool. I almost found out about this the hard way right after I rebuilt my K241 the first time back in 1985. I blew a LOT of snow with it that winter, then mowed with it a couple times that spring. Sometime in May I get a phone call from one of my friends to come over to their new house they bought... "Oh... and Bring your CC along.." He wanted me to mow his back yard which had foot or more tall grass with dead grass and clippings from being mowed with a Bush-Hog mower on a small farm tractor 2-3 times the summer before. I ran my CC wide open as hard as it would go for an HOUR, then I started hearing a knock. I let it idle to cool off, then went back to mowing at a easier pace by only taking 6-8 inches of tall grass per pass. NO third gear mowing in THAT back yard! I was running over garden rakes, nails, toys, etc... had one flat tire when I loaded it in my truck.

I did an oil change after I found an oil analysis kit and sent in the sample. All that snow blowing that winter had loaded the oil up with condensate water and gasoline from running too cold. Had thinned the oil out and I was lucky I didn't sieze the rod on the crank, break the rod and window the block while mowing. Small factoid I read years ago... burning ONE gallon of gasoline produces FIVE quarts of water... and when your engine runs too cool a lot of that water ends up in your engine oil.

So it's probably a good idea to change your Kohler's engine oil after 20 or so operating hours in winter because of running in cold temps. The oil stays colder and won't boil the water & gasoline out, and working the engine hard like I did won't remove it soon enough to prevent damage in most cases.

Pushing snow with a blade takes much less HP from a CC engine, they run even colder than a CC with a blower.

Hello all, I was clearing snow off the driveway this morning with my 123, and it was performing well as normal. When I was done I drove it down a the street to clear my neighbors driveway. At first it was performing well, but after I stopped the tractor and pushed the hydro lever forward, the tractor did not move. The tires were not moving. I quickly realized this, so I brought the lever back to neutral to prevent damage to the transmission. I was driving in reverse before pushing the lever forward. When the lever was in the forward position there was no transmission noise that I could hear. I know that the hydro release valves can become stuck in a position where the tractor can not be moved. I have also heard that the hydro filter can become clogged and prevent fluid from passing. The filter looks pretty old, anyway. Something that I thought worth mentioning was that after I shut of the engine, the release lever for when pushing the tractor did not want to engage the differential to lock up. I was wondering if there are any other possibilities for this occurrence that I am unaware of. Thanks to anyone that replies.

Matthew P.
I'll bet you sheared a spirol pin in the drive shaft.
Fire it up and move the lever forward while looking under the tractor. If the drive shaft is turning and the pump isn't, you've found the issue.

Gentlemen,

We had a few inches of snow last night. I was all ready with my 129, blade on, all lubed, tank full, fresh 5/20 oil in the crankcase. It started fine, I let it warm up but when I opened the choke the engine died, it did it every time until I gave it about a half choke and then it ran fine, no excess smoke, clear exhaust, plenty of power. The tractor runs great in the summer with no choke. My original had the same issue and it ran like that for 35 years. My first inclination is to say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Any ideas?

Anthony S.
First thing I would check would be the fuel cap to make sure it hasn't collapsed, or is blocked shut.
Then I'd got for the fuel bowl and see if there's gunk in it. Turn the fuel on with the bowl off and make sure you have gas, flip the float up and down to check that.
If you have a fuel filter, change it, and on and on and on, LOL

Weatherman said we should get about 4-6 inches over the last few days. When the snow quit today, we measured 8. The Mrs. got some actions shots pushing with the 147.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/Cadet3_zps53af69f3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/Cadet1_zps70c9cdc1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/Cadet2_zps8dd3a67e.jpg

Snow was the blowing kind so I was able to make piles about 4 1/2 feet high without much strain.

Back