• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Mike LaMar: Like this?
185913.jpg
smile.gif

Hey Brendan!!! Hows the weather over your way?? It's snowing like mad here in Corning! Getting ready to go out and break out the 106 to do some plowing! The weather guessers are calling for up to 18 inches locally. WAHOO cant wait to see if they are right!! Lot's of seat time coming my way!!

Evening y'all... Just getting the 122 ready for tilling (as soon as the ground dries out enough) and I can't get the belt on. This is the belt from the front PTO to the rear 90deg gearbox. The belt I have is a brand new 1/2" x 142.0" belt. I figured this would work, since the original belt is supposed to be 13/32 x 141.8". Is this difference in size the issue, or am I doing something wrong? I am using the same mule drive that runs the 38" deck, do I need to change this??
Any help would be MUCH appreciated since my better half is convinced that I don't know what I'm doing anyway and wants to buy a new walk behind tiller!!!!

Hey Guys,
I cleaned out the fuel bowl and put in some fresh gasoline into my 124 this past Saturday. It ran fine all the way up till yesterday. It did that complete shutdown thing again. Could this be the condenser, because i have bought a new one for it, thinking that was the problem. It cant be a fuel issue, i just cleaned the bowl and screen, and the carb is not sputtering. I need some help. Thanks.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yeh a 106 is a good Cadet for snow removin'. They are all good to use. My new 128 i got when i traded in my broken Original has a blower and blade. They are the perfect tools for the job!

Hello Scott...Been out a couple hours ago and plowed 6" or so. Waiting for more....

Randy what do you meen by cant get belt on? is it too tight? I am not at home but i do use my stock mower mule drive and from memory that belt sounds correct

Randy,

Your problem is the 1/2" belt does not sink into the pulleys as far as the 13/32" does. This effectively makes the 1/2" belt too short. The belt you have would need to be 3/8" or 13/32" to work. A 140.5" belt at 3/8 should work or maybe a 1/2" belt that is 143-144" (this is a guess).

Jim

Can anyone help me out with my 124's persistant "shutting off" issue on how to fix it? Its my most dependable machine, and since i cleaned the fuel system, it has to be an ignition issue. I need some help please! Thanks.

Tim,, did you install the new condensor? and is it hooked up properly to the negative side of the coil?

Put an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and run the engine to try to eliminate a sticky valve issue.

It could still be a piece of gunk in the fuel system too. Double check the needle and seat
and full fuel flow from the tank.

Randy,

One more thing, I have found that 1/2" belts in 3/8" pulleys don't have as much bit and slip more under heavy loads.

Tim,

Give a more descriptive explanation regarding how the engine quits. Does is stop abruptly or does is stutter and stall? You may have disturbed debris in the fuel system that is now in the carb needle seat, orifices , etc. Spark is usually not intermittent unless vibration or heat is the issue. If the 124 was working fine before your cleaning process and now its not, think about that!

Jim

It just shuts off like as if you had turned the key off. It only seems to quit once it warms a little. The carb could use a rebuild as it has not had one most likely since 1967 when my 124 was built, cause it does leak a little, and it does hesitate on acceleration sometimes. I figured it was an ignition issue, cause it just suddenly quits, like you would turn the key to off. I have not installed the new condenser yet. Where can i get that Marvel Oil?

Wow a kitty cat model is it a 123 hydro 12hp? sunstrand hydro? That was a good sales pitch display them at county fairs with a circus show to show Maneuverability, agility, directional changeability Fearless frisbee used whips an a pistol to keep several model 123's in line doing tricks I read about that i wish i could have seen it maybe Some of us could re inact it i bet people would pay to see riding lawn mower circus. Quick question does anyone know what kind of trans fluid to use in a 1972 107? i havent read about that yet

The thing does vibrate a little, until i lock the hood latches, then it stops. But i dont get how it just quits like this. If the carb had trouble, it would of just sputtered a bit. I mean i'll drive it in 3rd gear, and it will just completely shut off after a few seconds. Maybe it's time to rewire, i dont know. Is there any place online, where i can get a complete rebuild kit for the carb, or a whole new carb for cheap? Thanks.

Tim D.-

You don't need a whole new carb...just get a carb kit from any Kohler dealer, CC dealer, or the site sponsors.

Can you restart it right away after it dies or do you have to wait? Next time it dies, test for spark immediately afterwords. I wonder if your coil is bad.

Tim,

Carb kit can be found at the sponsers above and elseware on the net.

The quick shut-off is usally two things: no fuel or no spark.

Jim}

Jeff, yes, it is too tight to get over the pulleys.

Jim, I do see your point regarding the size. I didn't think the difference of 3/32" would matter, but I guess it does. I may have to break down and get the correct belt. Does the mule drive make a difference? I seem to remember hearing that there is a mule drive for the tiller that is different from the mower mule drive.

Thanks again for your help.

The mule drive should not be a problem " IF YOU HAVE THE CORRECT MULE DRIVE" I hate to yell, but after 30-40 years we end up with stuff that is not correct, misplaced, flat out wrong, etc, because the PO said it was right.

Latest posts

Back