• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 24, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is NO WAY you are going to get the shifter out of there without pulling the fenders. It certainly isn't going to fit through the hole in the fenders. It's very simple to remove the fenders...just remove the battery, unbolt the solenoid, remove 4 bolts in the battery box and all of the footrest screws and lift them off, and then the shifter can easily be removed.

Dave Ross

LOL let me see
1a_scratchhead.gif
when I order a coil that will mean three shipments from Charlie this month. I wonder if I can buy shares in his company .
1a_scratchhead.gif
Shipping charges are killing me, you guys that just pay $10.00 got it made
Shift.gif

Thanks all. Forgot about the battery. Never seen those info sheets before. Visiting a repair center tomorrow to find out how they do it.

Don Tanner. That coil should work just fine! It is saying to NOT add any external resistor! Just like the cubs internal resistor coil.

You can also use your multi-meter to verify continuity, not saying the used part worked when you got it but, it is the right coil.

I've got one just like it, works fine.

Thanks Mike

The boss don`t allow me to do Cub work on the weekend ,but I had an idea on the condenser mounting . I can`t seem to get a wrench or socket in next to the coil to tighten the coil bracket to the fan shroud with the condenser so close.So I will make a piece of flat bar and mount the condenser off of that. should solve my problems
with the bolt.

I looked at my starter gen bracket bolt washer clearance issue with the SG pulley , and have came up with a plan.I`ll back the bolt out till I have enuf thread to install the bracket and just a nut with some thread locker on the nut.
old.gif

Donald T - is everything more difficult up there north of the border? With all the Cubs you have you must have installed a condensor on at least 1 other. My 1st suggestion is to remove it and mount it with the bolt on the other side of the coil bracket. I think you'll find that's where it is on your other units. 2nd suggestion, applies to which ever side you decide to mount it on. The problem getting a wrench to fit is usually because of the screw holding the coil on the bracket itself. Suggest you loosen the screw till you have enought clearance for a small open/box end wrench, or even remove the screw completely, and remove the coil. Then tighten down the bolt holding the condensor, re-install the coil and tighten the screw holding the coil in the bracket. You have to know by now these Kohlers weren't designed to be easy to work on - they're just supposed to look nice when everything is back together and installed properly.
Now, on your issue with the S/G bracket and pulley - you really lost me on what you're doing now.

Gary S - the dealer I visited in CT when I lived there used a hoist and had cubs angled at about 60degrees. I didn't notice how/where it was attached on the cubs but assume around the front axle. Let us know what you find out at the shop you visit.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(but if they start bucking you can hold them up with a strap)

How to get your boy addicted to Cub Cadets....
235781.jpg

The only Cub in the fleet that wanted to start today was the '63 Original, so it got Fun duty today!

MY TURN!!!!
235782.jpg

And For Harry.....Look at the Time stamp.
Gear Drives Have More Fun
tongue.gif

Ah Rick B - glad to see you out having some fun. AND thanks for posting the pics within a reasonable time (minutes) of having the fun. As for the comments -"the only Cub in the fleet that wanted to start today" and, "Gear Drives Have More Fun", that just doesn't add up. You better get them all tuned up!!! Gear drives can't have more fun if they're just sittin there. AND for that matter "Hydros are Hip" with infinitely variable speed!!!!!

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(but if they are gear drives they are very hard starting in Iowa winters)

Here's the pics of the '68 124. Like I said earlier, once it's running properly (not leaking fuel, wired properly), I'll work on the aesthetics.

235790.jpg

235791.jpg

235792.jpg

Tim Z Z Z Z Z - thanks for posting the pics!!!!! It aint really that bad looking. The hood looks like it needs the most help, along with the seat. That cap on the gas tank might hit/rub the underside of the hood. All in all it looks like a decent unit to go thru/over. Once you got it painted and running good no one will believe it's the same unit.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and Tim Z if going to prove it)

Tim Z-

First congrats on the great 124! Looks to be a fairly complete and worthwhile project. I am wondering where your rectifier is located? I ask because my 125 had the rectifier mounted below the tower under the ignition switch... and i never really understood why!

Also, it appears you're missing your engine cooling baffles/plates. If you need these, email me. You can have the set off my parts cadet 123. Keep us posted on your progress, danWI

Dan, rectifier!? The more elaborate tractors have rectifiers because they have alternators on the flywheel. We have DC generators no rectifer needed. Or you thinking something else...?

Sorry for the picture snafu, everyone. I now know the proper way to do it without messing the forum up and it won't happen again.

Thanks for all of the complements about the 124. It's going to be slow going for a while. I'm going to get it in good enough condition where it runs reliably and isn't destroying itself, then I have to haul a bunch of dirt to the back part of the property, then I can worry about making it look good.

Tim and Allen-

my poor use of verbage! i'm asking about the VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Sorry for the confusion, danWI

Hmmm what do you guys think? A few more days piddling and Ill be done!

235802.jpg

Lights, Sleeve hitch, fenders, creeper, hydraulic lift, and rear PTO... Did I forget to put anything on it?

Btw I went with a timed mower deck... I know they recommended it for the 70 only.... But, I think I will be okay. What a money pit! lol

Tyler-

Did you spray the frame and tower and everything yellow in place? Masked off the wheels and everything? That must have been a chore right there! Looks great from here, great job! danWI

Lol... worse... Every nut and bolt came off! Oh well it will look nice when its done. Thanks

Hi guys. New to this board so here's the story.....782 Repower. I have a 782 which i love but the kt17 seres1 smokes and is starting to knock. Everone seems to like the vanguard or honda repowers but I'm taking a different direction. I ran across a CH20 on craig's list and snatched it up cheap. It was out of a sweeper and had a splined crank so I located a used 1 1/8 crank and copped it up and swapped it into the Ch. Boom. I now have a platform that the PTO will and did bolt right up to. This promises to be a fun build with a really cool twist. I'll post more later.

PS I hope this is in the proper format and category.
Thanks, Bob

Back