• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 23, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas, Charlie does have a bit of a point, BUT only if you know that the same "finite" group of readers read all the forums.

I long ago stopped reading the other forums/groups postings since I prefer the layout of this site. For the most part the same names appear on multiple sites posting questions and answers.

But PLEASE always remember that moderating a site like this is a royal PITA!(been there done that, and never want to again) The moderators are doing all of the rest of us a GREAT favor by making the experience of using this site a good one. These forums are the best and in most cases only source for information.

L. William Rehm
greenthumb.gif

Good evening all. Still working on my 1250, (blew the spark plug out of the head Sunday). Instead of trying a heli-coil on the head, I'm stealing the head off my other tractor (Wheel Horse). The spark plug is centered between the valves on this head, and it will lower the compression some, but it will do until I find another head.

Christopher...Don't be afraid of using a Heli-Coil in the other head, when you do them right they are a permanent fix. I like having the steel threads in the heads better anyhow. I've had snowmobiles that we drag raced with the heads milled to almost no clearance to increase compression and have blown plugs out of them on occasion, once I put Heli-Coils in them I never had a problem and those engines got run HARD.

Dennis...That sounds sweet, I think I have seen a couple pics of that kind of set-up before but they weren't very close or detailed pics. Nothin like the sound of a huffer engine to make my heart race.

hey guys. Loooong time no see. I have been screwing around with getting everything squared away with my truck and dont have much time to get on here anymore. Well, go to go and plow some snow!
ihrotate.gif

Brendan, its more a time vs. money issue. but thanks for the info.

Brendan:
Only concern I ever heard was whether you got as good a heat transfer from the plug, especially with the type of kit that uses Loctite on the heli-coil..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Hi Everyone, I just had one of those “Look what followed me home” weekends.

I picked up the following for only $400,
124 with hydraulic lift
42” mower deck in nice shape
42” snow plow (has most of the original paint on it)
QA 36 snow thrower (told it was used once)
Parker sweeper
Dump trailer
Two sets of wheel weights
Extra set of rear tires

All of these (except for the sweeper) have been stored inside. They have seen little to no use for the last 20 years.

Here are some pictures.
185842.jpg

185843.jpg

185844.jpg

185845.jpg

185846.jpg

185847.jpg

185848.jpg

Rich

Good find Richard. To bad i live all the way to Tennessee, You could empty your trailer here. I sure like the 124.
Luther
185851.jpg

Yes. If it pegs the ammeter to the charge side when you do this, it's working. If not, it isn't. <font size="-2">Or you have a bad ammeter...</font>

KENDELL - After I rebuilt the K301 in the 129 yrs ago, I was giving it a tune-up a year or two later. Even with anti-sieze on the plug threads the alum. threads in the head backed out with the plug!
explotar2jr.gif
I went up to the small engine shop that PO'd Me on the machine work on that engine and was informed the helicoil kit was $40, OR $40 for them to helicoil the head if I brought it in. I ordered a set of spark plug taps from McMaster-Carr for $40, drilled & tapped the head to 18 mm threads, using compressed air thru the muffler to blow the chips & shavings out of the plug hole with the head installed on the tractor, grease on the flutes of the tap, etc. And installed a Champion D-11 plug with a bit of relief grinding on the firing end. The D-series Champion plugs are 18 mm dia. & 1/2" reach and the H-series are only 14 mm dia. & 7/16" reach. The repair worked GREAT! Having had all brands of 2-stroke bikes as a kid, with all the fowled plugs they're prone to I don't see why ALL engine manufacturers don't use long reach plugs in aluminum heads!

BRENDAN - I looked at that pulling tractor closer with a magnifying glass. Pretty sure it's a Kohler engine. The Roots blower has it's exit out the bottom as usual, and the builder fabricated a plenum exiting the bottom and back and around into the intake port. Exhaust is just a straightpipe. Hard to tell but I suppose it has a crank-triggered ignition, and for sure a crank-driven fuel and oil pump for the blower. Almost looks like a little Predator carb on top of the blower.

Dennis Frisk
I had a 750 k 3 cylinder two stroke mc that ate spark plugs. I found the only thing that would not foul up were NGK center fire . the MC was a beast when it hit the power band lol.

I hope the freight truck soon get here as I`am wearing a path in the kitchen floor. lol
Later Don T
clappy.gif

Richard W., sweet! It also has headlights, which were an option on these, it has a set of tire chains the grill screen, hood ornament and reflectors are not MIA and it looks to have new front tires.
greenthumb.gif

And best of all:

185853.jpg

Slant%20Tongue.gif

DONALD - To say the Kawi. 750-triple was a "Beast" is like calling a Cub Cadet a "lawn mower".
lol.gif

OFF-TOPIC ALERT! My last street bike was a '73 Yamaha RD-350, first year for the 6-speed & frt disc brake. Back in '76 I "thought" it was kinda fast until I was riding with a Guy I knew since first grade who was riding his Sportster. He'd roll on the throttle in first gear and FLY away from me between stop signs. I'd have to shift Three times! At least with oil injection it wasn't hard on spark plugs.

Back O/T, I've used NGK plugs with good results. My normal supplier for plugs (Blain's Farm & Fleet) doesn't handle many Champions anymore. I've never had the problems with the Champions that many have had. Must be the stale gas and old 2-stroke pre-mix from the chainsaw, leaf blower, and string trimmer I run thru the Cubbies that keeps them running good! Actually, that stuff all goes thru the worn-out K181 in the 70 and that's the only Cubbie that I have to keep a new plug around for!

Well my waite has ended. My Cat O and rear ports got here about 30 minutes ago. Aaron did a Fine job on the packageing and Haveing looked it over I would have to say he sells FIRTS RATE equipment. Now comes Paint and the install.
185857.jpg

185858.jpg

drool.gif
more later Don T

Ahh yes..
Along with Hytran, balance gears, hydro vs. gear drive, premium vs. regular gas and the mythical 125 is the best cub ever thing, we have the Champion plug debate...
clappy.gif

Hy-Tran, *NO* balance gears, Hydros, Regular gas, CC 125, NGK. Oh, and I'll add two more; *YES* to MMO and snow throwers over blades.
proud.gif

I'm not taking sides on dino vs synthetic...

Latest posts

Back